PDA

View Full Version : EFILIVE _TUNE.EXE HANGING...on startup

TFZ_Z06
September 20th, 2008, 01:57 PM
When I try and start the program, it hangs. Any ideas?
I tried reinstall and it still hangs.
What is the proper uninstall procedure? I deleted folders and manually deleted registry info, yet when I install I get the fix/repair option.

Anyone else had this problem? If so, what was it?

mr.prick
September 20th, 2008, 02:24 PM
EFILive has done that since i`ve been using it,
does it "hang" more than 10 seconds?
it maybe your PC needs some maintenance, more RAM, defrag.
you can speed up start up of many programs by adding /prefetch:1 at the end of the shortcut.
example:

"C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\EFILive_Scan.exe" /prefetch:1

"C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\EFILive_Tune.exe" /prefetch:1

TFZ_Z06
September 20th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Got 2 gigs in my HP530 laptop and it works fine. Its my
9 sec desktop thats having a problem. It has 4 gigs ram mem, sata 1tr drive,
gigabyte motherboard and its flat out fast.

The program is just hanging indefinitely. Lucky its not my laptop. WTF.
I just restored it while I was out on a SD tuning run. Hopefully its back to normal.

Blacky
September 20th, 2008, 05:10 PM
If the most recent tune file that you loaded was on a network drive that is no longer available (or the folder is not available for some other reason - i.e. logging on as a different user), then next time you start the tune tool it will "hang" while waiting for the network drive to come back on-line.

To prevent EFILive attempting to load the most recently used file, delete the most recently used file list in the registry by removing all keys: \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EFILive\V7.5\Properti es\Mru\BinFileNameX where X is all numbers from 0 to 7.

The correct procedure for uninstalling EFILive is to uninstall it using the settings in the Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs.

Then delete the registry key: \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EFILive\V7.5

Backup any files that you want to keep, then delete:

\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5
and
\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5

Repeat for EFILive V8.1 if you have that installed.

Regards
Paul

TFZ_Z06
September 21st, 2008, 02:12 AM
If the most recent tune file that you loaded was on a network drive that is no longer available (or the folder is not available for some other reason - i.e. logging on as a different user), then next time you start the tune tool it will "hang" while waiting for the network drive to come back on-line.

To prevent EFILive attempting to load the most recently used file, delete the most recently used file list in the registry by removing all keys: \\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EFILive\V7.5\Properti es\Mru\BinFileNameX where X is all numbers from 0 to 7.

After I uninstall and reinstall the V7.5 folder never shows up in regedit. Ideas? I tried installing build 64 and the V7.5 folder reappears, so I go in and delete all the Bin FileNamexs, except for there are no file names associated with those registry values and run the program again. It hangs.

Then I reinstall build 66, the V7.5 folders disappear in the registry.

Any ideas? Also, this is not on a network.

TFZ_Z06
September 21st, 2008, 05:11 AM
Blacky,

Is there some kind of debug log or anything I can review as the program loads?
I'm guessing you pull the last few opened tunes from the registry, then
load the last one.

TFZ_Z06
September 21st, 2008, 05:29 AM
I have quite a few cables next to my PC. I thought I had plugged up my USB cable from an external drive I have. With so many cables in the same place, I grabbed the wrong one. My luck, I plugged up theAUTOTAP cable.

In any case, as soon as I removed the cable, EFI Live came to life again.

I restored my harddrive and lost 10 days of email and other data trying to figure this one out. :doh2::doh2::doh2:

Blacky
September 21st, 2008, 09:05 AM
So can I assume it is working again?

On the registry thing... The registry details are not added to the registry until the first time you exit the EFILive software.

If you ever want to reset the software to "installation default" you need to exit from all EFILive software, delete the reg keys, rerun the software.

If EFILive tries to load a setting from the registry and it is not found, it uses the install default setting. When you exit the software, EFILive saves ALL of its settings into the registry.

Regards
Paul

TFZ_Z06
September 21st, 2008, 09:16 AM
Yes, its working now. Thanks for the registry info and support.

So can I assume it is working again?

On the registry thing... The registry details are not added to the registry until the first time you exit the EFILive software.

If you ever want to reset the software to "installation default" you need to exit from all EFILive software, delete the reg keys, rerun the software.

If EFILive tries to load a setting from the registry and it is not found, it uses the install default setting. When you exit the software, EFILive saves ALL of its settings into the registry.

Regards
Paul