PDA

View Full Version : Merging cax files

joecar
September 23rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
What do you do if you have two different .cax files with the same filename...?

For example: 12202088.cax for transient fuel and 12202088.cax for lean cruise.

GMPX
September 23rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
The 'data' portions of the two files will need to be combined by someone if you want both.

JezzaB
September 23rd, 2008, 11:19 AM
There is a sample .cax file included in the software package, it is located in the directory -
\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations\LS1B
The file is called "12593358.cax"
Mines not in that directory, only .calz files :( Been wanting to have a look at one of these for a while

joecar
September 23rd, 2008, 11:47 AM
What do you do if you have two different .cax files with the same filename...?

For example: 12202088.cax for transient fuel and 12202088.cax for lean cruise.

The 'data' portions of the two files will need to be combined by someone if you want both.I merged the transient fuel and the lean cruise patches for 12202088...

I had to rename lean cruise to B9100.

I see both transient fuel and lean cruise show up on my 12202088.

Let me know if this looks incorrect...

swingtan
September 23rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
While not wanting to sound like a total geek...... :angel_innocent:

Can the .cax file be edited with "vi" etc under *nix ? The main issue is if the .cax file needs the <CR><LF> at the end of each line or if it will be fine with just a <CR>.

joecar
September 23rd, 2008, 12:07 PM

Can the .cax file be edited with "vi" etc under *nix ? The main issue is if the .cax file needs the <CR><LF> at the end of each line or if it will be fine with just a <CR>.Simon,

You are correct in saying that the file has to have crlf line endings since it is a "DOS" file.

vi on linux (rhel4.7) seems to treat the file correctly, it seems to use the existing line endings (crlf) on any newlines you type in.

joecar
September 23rd, 2008, 12:13 PM
I find that the .cax files have to be in the folder C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations otherwise the tunetool doesn't seem to pick them up.

Cougar281
September 23rd, 2008, 01:35 PM
Is this only for gas tune files, or would it work for Durmax/Allison files as well?

GMPX
September 23rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
Anything, Gas, Diesel, Trans.
Just match up the .cax OS number with the .calz OS number and you should be all set.
Joe, I thought the .cax files needed to be in the directory the .calz file was in, I'll ask Paul to clarify that. To me it would make sense to keep them with the .calz file rather than create clutter in the Calibration root directory.

Cheers,
Ross

Cougar281
September 23rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Cool... I guess the hard part is knowing what to add and how. Problem is I can't imagine how anyone outside of EFILive or otherwise in possesion of intamate knowledge of GM's mappings could possibly do anything with it. I can think of what I'd like to do with it (if it's possible), but there's no way in you-know-where that I would have a chance of figuring it out...

cmitchell17
September 23rd, 2008, 02:19 PM
So people who know what they are doing will be able to work on getting more tables avalible to us? Like any of them that are on the PCM or TCM?

Blacky
September 23rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
Joe, I thought the .cax files needed to be in the directory the .calz file was in, I'll ask Paul to clarify that. To me it would make sense to keep them with the .calz file rather than create clutter in the Calibration root directory.

Cheers,
Ross

Yes, it would make sense to have them in the same folders as the *.calz files. But the *.cax functionality was implemented before the *.calz files were split into sub-folders. So the *.cax files must all be in the calibrations folder.

I will change that in version 8 so that the *.cax and *.calz files are in the same folder.

Regards
Paul

GMPX
September 23rd, 2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks Paul, just so that everyone understands, all the .cax files regardless of what controller they are for must be placed in to the directory -
\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations

Cheers,
Ross

GMPX
September 23rd, 2008, 04:01 PM
So people who know what they are doing will be able to work on getting more tables avalible to us? Like any of them that are on the PCM or TCM?

Hopefully it will remain fairly open that people will share what they come up with, and that no bad apples are among the folks working on it.
The reason we added the .cax functionality back in 2006 was so some of our users could add in their own tables that they knew of (we don't ask how or why!). It's a constant battle trying to keep everyone happy with what's available and actually finding the time to do it ourselves, this system at least leaves the software open enough for everyone to do as they please.

If anyone is handy enough with PC programming it would be possible to write a nice graphical interface to create the .cax files rather than hand editing. We had hoped to do this ourselves, but time constraints have stopped that so far.

Cheers,
Ross

5.7ute
September 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM
Dont forget guys that you may want to modify the cal-link txt file to link the scan tool to these tables.
For those that arent sure how its done
table ID. COL/ROW=pid eg
B9000.COL=SAE.MAP
B9000.ROW=SAE.ECT

MICK
September 23rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Your on the same wave length as me mick. Filters and Realtime update to sort those lean tip-in's (Rubber-banding).

Mick

MICK
September 23rd, 2008, 10:31 PM
I'm checking out your file Joe and I noticed that I have an update. Have you used the compare feature of EFILive to look at a 2001 Trans Am to a 2001 Holden HSV? You Should because you will get a kick out of it. I have highlighted the update. I believe that some Holden's have throttle stomp turned off and I think I found one and the parameter value was 256, so haven a chop at it I'm thinking it should look a little like this.

Cheers

Mick

; ================================================== =============================
[B9001]
; Description
; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DESC.001 = Flag used to enable/disable the calculation and delivery of makeup fuel.
DESC.002 =
DESC.003 =
DESC.004 =
DESC.005 = Need to look at the Enumerators and clear things up. Not sure if it is right.
;
;
; Seg Caption Major Minor Vis Dis 2D Grp
; --- -------------------------------- --------------------------- ---------------- --- --- -- ---
VIEW = 2 "Stomp Make Up Fuel" "Transient Fuel" "Throttle Stomp" 1 1 0 0
;
; Address(es) BitOff Bits Typ Inv
; -------------------------------- ------ ---- --- ---
ADDR = B628 0 16 SED 0
;
; Units Factor Offset Prec MinLimit MaxLimit MinUser MaxUser
; --------------- -------------- ------ ---- -------- -------- -------- --------
SI_SLOT = Enable/Disable 1.0 0 0 0 65535 0 65535
;
; Body Col Row
; -------------- -------------- --------------
ULABELS = . . .
;
; Enumerations
; -------------------------------------------------------------------
SI_ENUM = "511=Enable,256=Disable"
IM_ENUM = "511=Enable,256=Disable"
;
; Units Labels
; ---------------- -----------------------------------------------------
SI_COL = .
IM_COL = .
;
SI_ROW = .
IM_ROW = . B9001.

redhardsupra
September 24th, 2008, 01:16 AM

Can the .cax file be edited with &quot;vi&quot; etc under *nix ? The main issue is if the .cax file needs the <CR><LF> at the end of each line or if it will be fine with just a <CR>.

yea what they really meant is that you dont want any artifacts or changing filetypes. VI(M) will handle just about anything correctly, and if it gets mangled somehow all you need to do is :set filetype=dos and it will put CRLF's instead of LF I use VIM for windows, and it works great ;)

joecar
September 24th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Mick,

I just now compared 2001 TA and HSV... lol... :hihi: that's funny, if you don't know the value of a state, it shows the raw value...:cheers:

I changed "0=Disable" to "256=Disable" under Enumerations for B9001 in the merged (TF/LC) file... attached.

Thanks,
Joe
:rockon:

MICK
September 24th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Good thought! I agree with that....:)

He is an update to B9003.

Use this Scaling Factor: 0.024993

I found my pencil sharpener.

Cheers

Mick

joecar
September 25th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Good thought! I agree with that....:)

He is an update to B9003.

Use this Scaling Factor: 0.024993

I found my pencil sharpener.

Cheers

Mick
Mick,

You mean like this (see attached)...?

When I open this one, I get B9003 out-of-range.

Did I do it right...?

If it's right , I'll copy the updated .cax to the merged cax thread.

Thanks,
Joe

MICK
September 26th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Joe,

That's right with the factor.

With the B9003 out of range.

In the cax file you can set the boundaries for the out of range check that EFILive uses. Look at the values in this table and consider what your max and min settings would be and input this data into the cax file. I have blue highlighted the settings that need adjusting to eliminate the out of range report of this parameter.

; Units Factor Offset Prec MinLimit MaxLimit MinUser MaxUser
; -------- -------------- ------ ---- -------- -------- -------- --------
SI_SLOT = m/sec 0.024993 0 3 0 2 0 2

Use something like this and as further testing continues you can tweak these min and max values if any other parameters fall out of range. When you open the tuning software and look at a parameter, in the top right hand corner of the screen you will see the new min and max limits that are set in the cax file.

Cheers

Mick

joecar
September 27th, 2008, 09:13 PM
See post #21 and #22: showthread.php?p=79309#post79309 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=79309#post79309)

I'm trying to resolve which of 12208322.cax and 01270003.cax is correct info at lines 364/367 and 402/405.

MICK
September 27th, 2008, 09:33 PM
See post #21 and #22: showthread.php?p=79309#post79309 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?p=79309#post79309)

I'm trying to resolve which of 12208322.cax and 01270003.cax is correct info at lines 364/367 and 402/405.

Joe,

364/367= 0 .0004890
This is very close to the mark.

402/405= 255 513
This works much better for me.

Good work and thanks.

joecar
September 27th, 2008, 09:49 PM
364/367= 0 .0004890
This is very close to the mark.From left file.

402/405= 255 513
This works much better for me.From right file.

Ok, I got it, thanks.

These are the 4 base files I'll start the copy (to COS's) and merge (lean cruise) from.

joecar
September 27th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Mick,

Question: should the COS files include lean cruise, or should I leave it out of the COS files...?

MICK
September 27th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Mick,

Question: should the COS files include lean cruise, or should I leave it out of the COS files...?

Joe there is a couple of ways to look at it.

It is easy to update the base family operating system .cax file, then copy and paste a file then rename it to a cos ID with the lean cruise.

Then the lean cruise will not work on the cos operating systems so there is no point adding it in but then you would have to edit the updates to the cos .cax files separately this will increase the work load and support.

Maybe we can just add the lean cruise in the cos for now to make it a little easier and folks can test weather it is a rumor or not.

Your call.

joecar
September 28th, 2008, 07:01 AM

Maybe we can just add the lean cruise in the cos for now to make it a little easier and folks can test weather it is a rumor or not.

Your call.This will make merge/copy much easier. :rockon::rockon::rockon: