PDA

View Full Version : Help, no start!

Leadfoot
September 28th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I posted this on DP, but thought this would be a better forum for help:

Once again my truck is in a no start condition.

I don't think it's necessarily an EFI Live issue as I have had the same issue with my Predator, but here is the situation.

I had been running tune designed for sled pulling. Sled pulling is over so I decided to turn it back to stock.

I performed the proceedure as I always do (by the book) and as usual the system clears the calibration in memory and then fails when installing the new tune and puts me in a no start condition.

I have disconnected the batteries for hours and even pulled the plugs on the ECM (actually removed it from the truck at one point) to troubleshoot. I don't have the latest and greatest software/firmware, but I have not heard of others having this issue, so I don't think it's that.

Right after the "Erasing ECM flash memory...(please wait up to 45 seconds)" message I get:

Error: Failed. Controller has returned to normal operation, please retry the operation.

then

Reflash falied, aborting...

and then all else is fine

I did notice that at all other phases of the operation, the orange(ish) and green lights flash but when it gets to the failed step the 3rd light from the right on the V2 (blue light) blinks once (I think it's once).

Is that an indication of anything?

Any help is appreciated as I'm going to have to call in "sick" to work

GMPX
September 28th, 2008, 04:08 PM
What model?

Leadfoot
September 29th, 2008, 01:09 AM
What model?

I have an 06 LBZ. I can get any other information you need, just let me know what to get.

Leadfoot
September 29th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Update: Truck finally started.

I tried flashing it 7 times this morning and it worked on the 7th time.

I still can't make any sense of it. Sometimes I flash and the first time it works perfectly, and other times I'm down for days. This has happened with my Diablosport Predator and EFI Live V2 so I don't think it's a software issue. It has to be something with my truck, but I don't know how to troubleshoot it. I am very hesistant to program my truck as it seems like Russian Roulette. I do the same procedure every time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't......

Is there a bench harness available (would eliminate my truck wiring and other onboard components as issues)?

Also, is there replacement ECM's available for the LBZ? If so is there a way to clone them or do I have to burn my second license just to have a backup?

Thanks for any help.

GMPX
September 29th, 2008, 11:04 AM
With the LBZ you (and we) are at the mercy of Bosch, the entire reprogramming process is handled internally by the ECM, so if it doesn't work then there is little anyone can do. Thankfully, if it fails then your best bet (as you did) is to pull the battery power and try again, the ECM should always be recoverable.

It shouldn't cause a problem on the LBZ, but many users have issues with they hook up aftermarket iPod adaptors, XM Radio adaptors, some of these require connection to the vehicle data bus, unfortunately they also cause major problems when programming. But as i said, this should not be as much of a problem on the LBZ.

You can get a bench harness for the LBZ ECM from www.speartech.com , but it's probably going to be a bit pricey for the home user to condsider.

Cheers,
Ross

Leadfoot
September 30th, 2008, 12:12 AM
How long does the battery need to be disconnected?
I unplugged it for several hours at one point (which didn't help). I don't know if I should have waited longer or if that was too long, etc.

If it's (the bench harness) less than $200 it's worth it to me as to not have to miss any more work....

Also, if I find a spare ECM, is there any way to clone it as it will be used solely in my truck with the same VIN, or will that chew up another license?

Thank again!

With the LBZ you (and we) are at the mercy of Bosch, the entire reprogramming process is handled internally by the ECM, so if it doesn't work then there is little anyone can do. Thankfully, if it fails then your best bet (as you did) is to pull the battery power and try again, the ECM should always be recoverable.

It shouldn't cause a problem on the LBZ, but many users have issues with they hook up aftermarket iPod adaptors, XM Radio adaptors, some of these require connection to the vehicle data bus, unfortunately they also cause major problems when programming. But as i said, this should not be as much of a problem on the LBZ.

You can get a bench harness for the LBZ ECM from www.speartech.com , but it's probably going to be a bit pricey for the home user to condsider.

Cheers,
Ross

GMPX
September 30th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Normally pulling battery power only needs to be done for a couple of minutes.

I think the harnesses are more than $200.

If you get a spare ECM then you will use up another license, EFILive does not license to a VIN, rather an ECM.

The other thing I haven't asked was when the last time you updated your software / V2 firmware?

Cheers,
Ross

Leadfoot
September 30th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I am going to update tomorrow.
What is the latest (non Beta) software and firmware revisions?

Thanks again.

Normally pulling battery power only needs to be done for a couple of minutes.

I think the harnesses are more than $200.

If you get a spare ECM then you will use up another license, EFILive does not license to a VIN, rather an ECM.

The other thing I haven't asked was when the last time you updated your software / V2 firmware?

Cheers,
Ross

The Neens
September 30th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Also, if I find a spare ECM

Spare ECMs are available here...

http://socaldiesel.com/2EFILive.htm

Leadfoot
October 1st, 2008, 01:30 AM
Spare ECMs are available here...

http://socaldiesel.com/2EFILive.htm

Thanks.

Sparky8370
October 1st, 2008, 08:49 AM
I thought disconnecting the batteries was a big no-no if there was a problem, and that it made the ecm impossible to recover. Isn't there some sort of warning against it in the manual?

Blacky
October 1st, 2008, 12:52 PM
The full flash "do not pull battery power" warning is for older style PCMs that completely erase their memory when being full flashed. The new style PCMs/ECMs retain some "sanity" even when being full flashed so that if power is disconnected during a full flash then they are 100% recoverable.

Just off the top of my head:

PCMs that you should never disconnect power from if a full flash fails:

LS1 97/98
LS1 99+
LB7
4CylA
4CylB

PCM's that you can remove power from during a full flash:

E38
E40
E67
P12
LLY
ALLISON 5spd

We should make up a list of which type of PCM is in which category (GMPX Revised the list).

Regards
Paul

I thought disconnecting the batteries was a big no-no if there was a problem, and that it made the ecm impossible to recover. Isn't there some sort of warning against it in the manual?

Sparky8370
October 2nd, 2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks for that, because my pcm is on the no-no list. Just my luck I would have remembered reading this thread and un-plugged it. Actually, I would probably come crying to here before I did anything that drastic anyway.