PDA

View Full Version : Basic tuning question

1hotduramax
September 30th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I am new to efi live. got my truck tuned with it from a reseller with a small tow tune. But now i want to experiment a little.

Are there just a few main tables that get changed with most tunes,or are there hundreds that must be changed?

If theres just a handful of them could someone list them for me?

The Neens
September 30th, 2008, 05:12 PM
At the top left of the page, click on "User CP" and fill out a signature about your truck...It will help us help you :)

1hotduramax
October 1st, 2008, 03:15 PM
sorry about that, maybe this helps

The Neens
October 2nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
B0720, 0721, 0741, 0727, 0910

Those should get you started...

Sparky8370
October 3rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
It may be a good idea to leave 0741 alone. I left that one alone in an attempt to keep it somewhat safe and have still limped my tranny three times. I'm not sure if tranny was properly cared for before I owned it, but I know I haven't so that may have contributed. If you want I can send you the tune I had in there last. I'm still learning too though. But that tune was fast and it would blow some smoke if I wanted it too.

1hotduramax
October 4th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Hey thanks for the tips , sparky, I am still pretty jumpy about what I go to try in the truck, so if that tune was kind of hot I probably shouldn't even look at it yet until I get my bearings a little with efilive. But thanks for the offer!!

The Neens
October 4th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I've adjusted B0741 on several trucks with a stock transmission, no limps...Some are stronger than others I suppose...

1hotduramax, let me know if you need any help...

Climer97007
October 23rd, 2008, 07:56 AM
Anyone here ever done performance tuning for better MPG? I have an idea to tune the fuel lower, adjust timing, and lower the boost, and see if there is a stable safe lower performance, lower fuel, performance level that I can tune it to, and then boost back to stock from there. Has anyone ever tried such a setup? Thanks, Gene

PS: I don't have my dream motor yet, but I am thinking about doing this tuning for a Hot Rod project using a diesel 6.6L Duramax V8, or the new Duramax V6 that GM is coming out with, or the new V8 Cummins or the new V6 Cummins. Today, I have a 2002 Common Rail Cummins 4 cylinder (ISBe170), and I might be able to fiddle with that computer also. Thanks...

ScarabEpic22
October 23rd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Just an FYI, GMs new Duramax is going to be a V8 for sure, there are already prototypes out. 4.5L V8 with reverse flow intake/exhaust that fits inside a normal GM small block V8 package, this engine is destined to be swapped into lots of older rides to make lots of horespower.

That sounds like a good idea, but why waste the $$$ on a Juice when you can just buy a FlashScan V2 and do tune switching on the fly with a few button clicks and have 5 custom tunes vs the generic Juice ones? Yes its only for the LB7 and LLY D-Maxes right now, but if thats what you're looking at IMO its a much better and more cost-effective way of doing what you're looking to do.

Climer97007
October 24th, 2008, 05:46 AM
That sounds like a good idea, but why waste the $$$ on a Juice when you can just buy a FlashScan V2 and do tune switching on the fly with a few button clicks and have 5 custom tunes vs the generic Juice ones? Yes its only for the LB7 and LLY D-Maxes right now, but if thats what you're looking at IMO its a much better and more cost-effective way of doing what you're looking to do.

Can someone explain to me how the FlashScanV2 works? I don't know much about them. What I need is the ability to push a button, and the tune changes to that setting. I can not ask a Hot Rod customer who knows nothing about the FlashScan to go through a reprogramming process. It needs to be dirt simple and work on the fly as they are driving.

Can the FlashScan do this? :confused:

:help2: Anyone live in Beaverton Oregon who can show me a working FlashScan system so I can see how easy it is to do?

Thanks! Gene

ScarabEpic22
October 24th, 2008, 08:06 AM
FlashScan V2 can do this, but its more of a DIY tuning tool or workshop tool. It is NOT a Hypertech, Superchips, etc programmer you just plug n play, you have to learn what individual tables need to be changed (just ask around here, lots of help). But, when BBF (BlackBox Flashing or standalone flashing) is implemented, AutoCal will take on the feature you want. Be able to send a customer an AutoCal unit with a custom tune, have them read their current tune out, email it to you, and then you can change it and email it back to them. And as of now only the LB7/LLY and some E38/E67s can switch tunes on the fly.

Climer97007
October 24th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Yeah, I just found out about EFI-Live yesterday. So, it is still like a firhose for me. A lot to absorb without actually seeing it to undersdtand it. I am a very visual person. I need to see one of these working. I live in Beaverton, Oregon. So, it would be nice to see one in action locally.

Eventually I'll know what you mean when you say things like BBF being implemented. I have no clue what that means right now.

Thanks. EFI-Live Newby here... Gene

ScarabEpic22
October 24th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Yeah, I just found out about EFI-Live yesterday. So, it is still like a firhose for me. A lot to absorb without actually seeing it to undersdtand it. I am a very visual person. I need to see one of these working. I live in Beaverton, Oregon. So, it would be nice to see one in action locally.

Eventually I'll know what you mean when you say things like BBF being implemented. I have no clue what that means right now.

Thanks. EFI-Live Newby here... Gene

I know how it is, we've all been there. Im from Seattle currently living in Spokane, WA and I might be roadtripping down to Portland sometime in November/Dec/Jan timeframe (hopefully Nov, but who knows). If you wanted to meet up I could show you the software and what Ive done to my TrailBlazer, but it wont be the same as I have an oddball PCM and a gasser vs a diesel. You should go ahead and download V7.5.5.72 from the homepage and poke around in the software. There are Duramax bins in the sample folder plus more on other diesel forums. Ive looked at some stock files and then at tuned ones back to back to see what the differences are, thats the best way to learn IMO.

What I mean by BBx (either 'L' for logging or 'F' for flashing) is the ability to use the FlashScan V2 device on its own without carrying a laptop around to tune or log data from your truck. BBL is (almost out?) of beta now and BBF should be implemented here soon. I cant wait to load a bunch of custom tunes onto an SD card then just be able to select whatever tune I want with a few button clicks.

Climer97007
October 24th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I know how it is, we've all been there. Im from Seattle currently living in Spokane, WA and I might be roadtripping down to Portland sometime in November/Dec/Jan timeframe (hopefully Nov, but who knows). If you wanted to meet up I could show you the software and what Ive done to my TrailBlazer, but it wont be the same as I have an oddball PCM and a gasser vs a diesel.

Sure, I'll buy you lunch or dinner or whatever.
I just want to see how a user would actualy use the device.
The idea here is to make some custom tune settings, and install them on a vehicle so that a totally non-trechnical user could dial up one of several different profiles on the fly.

While I understand it can be done, some people mention just a few clicks. Well, to a tuner, a few clicks is nothing compared to hours on a dyno. But, to a non technical person driving their truck to the farm, it is like, what? You want me to click what? :blahblah: They just want to push a green button that says "Level 1", and away it goes, and then a yellow button that says "Level 2" and away it goes. And then maybe a red button that says "Caution, Drag Profile" and then "VaaVoom", off it goes! :phatyo:

So, anyway, I want to see how simple this can work. Maybe the settings can be stored into a Juice? Or who knows, I am still trying to get a handle on how this actually works in practice.

Thanks,
Gene:cheers:

ScarabEpic22
October 24th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Yea I understand completely, the beauty of the V2 is you just plug it in, select your truck, hit Switchable tunes and select whichever one you want and its loaded. It works differently than a Juice/etc as the tunes are actually programmed into the ECM vs switched inside the Juice.

Ill let you know when Im headed down, prob be like a Sat or Sun lunch thingy. Its amazing the power associated with this software/hardware package, a few wrong clicks and you can cause havoc! Ive done it a few times, but quickly figured out what went wrong...