PDA

View Full Version : RR question

driver456
October 2nd, 2008, 10:34 AM
Probably a stupid question but Do both USB plugs have to be in the lap top.The one from RR and the one from the V1 box?:confused:

TFZ_Z06
October 2nd, 2008, 10:40 AM
Probably a stupid question but Do both USB plugs have to be in the lap top.The one from RR and the one from the V1 box?:confused:

For RR, all you need is one port to read/write data key on/off, makes no difference. However, if you plan to go realtime w/RTACS, you need incoming data from OBD2 and the outgoing line to change the RR.

driver456
October 2nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
For RR, all you need is one port to read/write data key on/off, makes no difference. However, if you plan to go realtime w/RTACS, you need incoming data from OBD2 and the outgoing line to change the RR.

Key on/off,Meaning ignition key? OK so I can make changes to the pcm w/ignition key on or off,Right? Also can you explain alittle about incoming data from OBD2 and the outgoing LINE to change the RR.Thanks for the quick reply..................Paul

TFZ_Z06
October 2nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Key on/off,Meaning ignition key? OK so I can make changes to the pcm w/ignition key on or off,Right? Also can you explain alittle about incoming data from OBD2 and the outgoing LINE to change the RR.Thanks for the quick reply..................Paul

NON RTACS MODE: (you manually start writes)
Correct, you do not need the ignition key on to read/write the RoadRunner. Its gets its read/write power source from the USB port, not vehicle.

RTACS MODE: (software automatically writes changes based on dlog)
1 USB for READING datalog from OBD2 port and external data such as widebands or other inputs.
1 USB for WRITING the RoadRunner

SCANNER ON AND RUNNING:
The only way RTACS mode will work is when the RR is in "REALTIME" editing mode (this is in the RR dialog box) and the datalogging is in RECORD mode (the little RED, no yellow button ) in the scanning software.

Example: You are going to real time update the VE table via RTACS. You would need at a minimum to log the x, y coordinates of the VE table in the datalog, SAE.RPM and SAE.MAP. RTACS interpolates which cell to update from that data. Also, make sure the units in the datalogger are the same as in the tune tool otherwise, it will not work right.

I have a software animator and will try and post up a real time example if EFI Live has no objection. I would suggest you get familiar w/the software for using RR/RTACS by first experimenting w/the engine off, key on. That way you can get a datalog and undo potentially harmful changes.

mr.prick
October 2nd, 2008, 01:44 PM

if you only have only1 USB port
the RR can be used with a bluetooth cable.

driver456
October 3rd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Well so far so good.Got the RR working,Tomorrow I will put it in the car and see how it works:grin:Thanks for the help :good:.........Paul

driver456
October 3rd, 2008, 11:04 AM
if you only have only1 USB port
the RR can be used with a bluetooth cable.

Where would the bluetooth plug into on the laptop? I have 2 USB ports,But I really need 3.One for the RR,One for EFILIve scan and one for my tracball mouse.My laptop mouse does not work.Would a single male USB plug with double female ends work for the tracball and scanner?..................Paul

ChipsByAl
October 3rd, 2008, 11:25 AM
In your case, the laptop would need to be equipped with bluetooth. If it isn't you would be better with the direct connection. I'm not sure on all the power requirements of the devices, but my RoadRunner likes the higher powered USB port.
Al

mr.prick
October 3rd, 2008, 01:17 PM
the RR does not tolerate sharing a USB port.
at least mine didn`t when i tried to plug it into a USB hub.

N0DIH
October 4th, 2008, 02:10 AM
I haven't tried, but that is a good tip. Thanks!

the RR does not tolerate sharing a USB port.
at least mine didn`t when i tried to plug it into a USB hub.

TFZ_Z06
October 4th, 2008, 07:40 AM
In your case, the laptop would need to be equipped with bluetooth. If it isn't you would be better with the direct connection. I'm not sure on all the power requirements of the devices, but my RoadRunner likes the higher powered USB port.
Al

Bluetooth requires key power on.

driver456
October 4th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Holy crap! The RR is the shit! I bought a small usb hub w/4 ports,Hooked EFILive scan and my tracball mouse to the hub and the RR on its own and it works perfect:grin:Got the pcm in the car routed the usb cable into the console.Hooked up the laptop.The car started right up,Played around with it for about 15 min. Didn't want to piss off the neighbor's it was getting late.Just have to do a case relearn.Tomorrow is another day.Thanks again for the help...................Paul

mr.prick
October 4th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Holy crap! The RR is the shit! I bought a small usb hub w/4 ports,Hooked EFILive scan and my tracball mouse to the hub and the RR on its own and it works perfect:grin:Got the pcm in the car routed the usb cable into the console.Hooked up the laptop.The car started right up,Played around with it for about 15 min. Didn't want to piss off the neighbor's it was getting late.Just have to do a case relearn.Tomorrow is another day.Thanks again for the help...................Paul

WOW
mine does not connect with a hub.