PDA

View Full Version : 98 to 99+ fuel system segment swap.

waterbug1999
October 4th, 2008, 07:18 AM
I am new to EFILive and am currently having issues getting my fuel gauge to work, gauge is currently pinned at full. The repining was already performed when I purchased the car and I attempted to tune the vehicle but the PCM was locked (fuel gauge working with original PCM). I installed a new pcm out of a 2000 Tahoe and everything is perfect with exception of the fuel gauge.

I have searched on this subject and found that I will need to do a fuel system segment swap (Edit>copy entire segment) using an 02 express van found on holdencrazy.com. Then copy over the tables from the original 98. The only issue is the fact that I cannot click on the copy entire segment from the express van file. What exactly needs to be done? Do I have to license the express van file? Please help I need a gas gauge. Thanks in advance!

ChipsByAl
October 4th, 2008, 11:55 AM
To swap segments you need to also match the Operating systems. Check out the 2002 Camaro file O/S 12212156 and start with that one as your base file. You can then easily copy the segment from the G van. After the segment has been copied save the file as a new name. Reload the stock 2002 Camaro file and compare, you will need to update all of the Fuel System parameters, calibrations, etc.
Al

Note: if you have not transfered all of your wiring yet I will be updating my Convert98.doc file soon.

01midmetws6
October 4th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Wiring is already converted and fuel gauge was working with older PCM. I know that this is a simple question but can I switch my licensed 09381344 to a 12212156 without licensing the 12212156? If so how is it done? Will I have to transfer all my current tables from the 09381344 to the 02 OS? Thanks for the speedy reply!

ChipsByAl
October 4th, 2008, 01:19 PM
You license the cable to the PCM, not the VIN or operating system. This won't cost you anything but time and maybe some learning curve frustration. Full flash the PCM with the newly created file and your fuel gauge will work again as long as the fuel gauge wire feed from the PCM to the IPC is in the correct location on the rewire job. After that is done and you see the gauge working, you can get started on all of the transferring of parameters and tables. If you have an automatic this file might be a good start: http://www.holdencrazy.com/EFILive/TuneFileRepository/Modified/Chevrolet/00000019.tun
Al

01midmetws6
October 4th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Alright, I am tranfering from HPTuners so this whole concept is new to me. Once my "PCM" is licensed I can do a write entire using any compatible file? I have successfully transferred the express van Fuel system OS (16264662) to the 02 Camaro OS (12212156) file. Now all that I have to do is transfer over my tables from my current 00 OS to the modified 12212156 OS and perform a write entire at no extra charge?

Another thing, I wrote my first post under Waterbug at a friends house without noticing I was logged in under his user name. Wanted to let anyone who is reading know to prevent confusion.

ChipsByAl
October 4th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Transfer the tables from the 12212156 file. If you have not licensed the PCM in question with EFI_Live, you will need to before you program it for the first time. If you have programmed this PCM already once with EFI_Live then there is no more $$$. EFI_Live doesn't charge any more for any custom O/S or mods. You can update that PCM with any EFI_Live software for free.
Al

01midmetws6
October 5th, 2008, 03:36 AM
That is outstanding! I now have everything transferred over and am now only waiting on my new licensing info/ application key. How long does it take to receive through an e-mail? I purchased an additional VIN at about noon yesterday. Thanks for the help, the information supplied is priceless!! :cheers:

TAQuickness
October 5th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Welcome to the forum 01midmetws6. Licenses can generally be had in ~24 hours. If more than a day has passed, try sending an email to support@efilive.com or PM'ing Tordne

01midmetws6
October 6th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Contacted help request yesterday, waiting on a response. Still waiting for an e-mail with new auth. code so I can move forward with this.

01midmetws6
October 7th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Alright, so I recieved the extra VIN and licensed the PCM and that went smooth. I attempt to load my modified 02 Camaro tune and it will not write the new operating system into the pcm. It says that the write was succesfull but when you reread the pcm it is still a 2000 OS, also it only takes about 20 seconds to do a complete write. Anything specific that I need to do, what am I doing wrong?

ChipsByAl
October 7th, 2008, 03:07 AM
First connect the cable to the vehicle and then the PC. Turn on the ignition and then start EFI_Live. You will then be allowed to perform a "full" reflash. This is the icon with the thick red arrow. You will get a warning as well. Read up on the manual for details on the warning.
Al

01midmetws6
October 7th, 2008, 04:45 AM
That is exactly what I did, it only took about 20 seconds and said that it was complete (it should take a couple minutes correct). After I turned the key off and waited for the countdown it did come up with an error message. I will get the complete details when I try again at lunch.

joecar
October 7th, 2008, 05:11 AM
You did a full flash and not a cal-only flash...?

01midmetws6
October 7th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Yes i did do a full flash, if I attempt a write cal only it will not allow due to OS's being different. When I perform the full flash it only takes about 15-20 seconds and displays a message saying Reflash completed successfully, I click ok and then it instructs me to turn the key off and it counts down from 15.
After that is completed I get another message that says cannot create file c:\program
Files\efilive\v7.5\configuration\PCMlocks.ini" Access is denied :sly:
I have attempted this 4-5 times with no success.

If I click on the "Test" button next to the "Start" button it will simulate the entire write and take a little over 2 minutes. I am confused.

joecar
October 7th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Hmmmm... if you're running Vista, you have to have Admin privileges when installing and/or running EFILive.

Can you copy the text log that is displayed during flashing, and paste it here...
(you will need to go into options and disable the 15 second timer display).

01midmetws6
October 7th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I am running Vista, funny thing is I can read the PCM and write a calibration only, the only thing that I can't perform is the write entire. I will copy the test log and post it up as soon as I get a break at work.

Tordne
October 7th, 2008, 09:10 AM
A full flash operation should take in the region of 2:45 to perform, the calibration only flash is around 30 seconds odd. Is the problem that you aren't able to perform the full flash because the button is grayed out? If this is the case you need to connect FlashScan to your PC/laptop before opening the Tune Tool.

01midmetws6
October 7th, 2008, 09:20 AM
You can click on the write entire icon and it goes through the write way to fast (around 20 seconds) I cannot get the snapshot up due to time issues here at work, anything else that can be attempted?

Blacky
October 7th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Can you please locate the file:
\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Bug Reports\YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_Download.blx
where:
YYYYMMDD is the year, month and day
and:
HHMMSS is the hour, minute and second
that you attempted to full-reflash the controller.

Please send that file to me at paul@efilive.com and
include a link to this message so that I can correlate
your file with this message.

Regards
Paul

01midmetws6
October 7th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Can you please locate the file:
\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\Bug Reports\YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_Download.blx
where:
YYYYMMDD is the year, month and day
and:
HHMMSS is the hour, minute and second
that you attempted to full-reflash the controller.

Please send that file to me at paul@efilive.com and
include a link to this message so that I can correlate
your file with this message.

Regards
Paul

You have mail.

01midmetws6
October 7th, 2008, 11:53 AM
So this is what I have gathered:
1. I can read, multiple PCM's with no issue. Tested on multiple cars.
2. I can perform a Write Cal with no issues, takes about 30 seconds total. I have verified this by doing a write cal and then rereading the PCM and the changes have been made.
3. It will not perform the write entire function, what I mean when I say this is that I can click the Big Red arrow icon, at that point the I click start on the Reflash box that comes up and it blows through it in under 20 seconds and reports that reflash was successful. Now if I click on the test button it takes the required 2-3 minutes but obviously does not do any actual rewriting. I have disabled high speed and that makes no difference. I am also leaving the Key box at the top left blank, should I be putting something in there?

Thanks for all the help so far it is very much appreciated!!

EDIT> I am assuming that you can use any computer to run EFILive correct? If so I am going to attempt to download the software onto a PC at work that runs XP and run the cable to the car to see if I can make any progress. If this is a bad idea please chime in. Thanks!

Blacky
October 7th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I recommend upgrading your FlashScan V2 unit to use the latest bootblock and firmware. The process is described in the file:
Start -> All Programs -> EFILive -> V8.1 -> Documents ->Upgrading FlashScan.
That file will be available once you have downloaded and installed the V8 software from here: http://www.efilive.com/download.aspx#download1b

Although I can't say with 100% certainty that upgrading will solve the problem, that the latest firmware in conjunction with the latest software is more robust and reliable than what you are using now.

Regards
Paul

01midmetws6
October 7th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I was able to do a write entire using a work PC (cables just barely made it). After performing the write entire I made a few small changes using my laptop. Thanks for all the help, this car has been a nightmare from the start and it does not surprise me that the issues continued throughout. All said and done everything worked out great, there was just way to much legwork. Glad to put this one behind me.

I will be a future EFILive user and most likely be putting in a purchase on a new V2 here shortly, i will start with it completely updated and see what it thinks of my laptop.

Thanks again for all the information everyone!! :cheers:

Carl T.
CJTunes

joecar
October 7th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Carl,

Glad you got it working... :cheers: ...what was it that got the full flash to work...?

01midmetws6
October 8th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I used a PC in the shop that was equipped with XP instead of Vista. I don't know how Vista would affect only the write entire and not a read PCM or write cal only but once I downloaded the software to the shop computer it went flawlessly.

One more thing to note. After doing the write entire the fuel gauge read backwards (empty was full and full was empty) so I had to invert the fuel gauge calibration table (F0501) to make it work correctly. Also, I used the parameters (F0502) from the 98 Camaro tune and the convert sender to volume (F507) from the 2002 Camaro tune. Hope this helps anyone who is searching in the future.

Needless to say I am impressed with EFIlives ability to migrate and modify OS's. It is something that simply cannot be done using HPTuners due to conflicts with the finished OS. Even after I finished the tune with EFILive I read it with HPtuners and it would not let me save it because it was considered a corrupted file :sly: ............so thanks again everyone that helped!

ScarabEpic22
October 8th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Did you change the EFILive_Tune.exe file to have all read/write admin privileges in Vista? If you dont, Vista wont let you full flash anything but you can do cal flashes easily. I know it was mentioned earlier in this thread but just make sure you do that to save yourself future headaches.