PDA

View Full Version : L98

Harrismarine
October 4th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Can someone tell me which computer is the best to run the L98 on, Is it the E38?

Also can someone tell me the part number or where to purchase the reluctor wheel fitting tool.

Much appreciated, Mike

ChipsByAl
October 4th, 2008, 12:32 PM
This is one place to get the reluctor. http://www.goodson.com/store/template/product_detail.php?IID=4147
Depending on the rest of the drivetrain would dictate which PCM/ECM. If you are going to use the 6L80 transmission the E38 would be my choice. If you aren't I would use something much less complicated like the Gen3 LS1 PCM.
Al

Harrismarine
October 4th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks for that but link is no good , Its going into a boat so no transmission to worry about, What makes them so much harder?

Regards Mike

ChipsByAl
October 5th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Sorry about the incorrect link. I have fixed it. Just to clarify the engine, is this an old school TPI L98 or one of the newer GenIII LS1 based type engines?

Harrismarine
October 5th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Its the new LS L98

Mike

swingtan
October 5th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I guess there are 2 choices here....

Change the reluctor wheel and run the LS1 PCM.
Leave the reluctor wheel as is and use the E38 PCM.

Each will have good / bad points, for example...

LS1 PCM:

Good -

Cheaper PCM cost.
Been around a long time and has lots of custom OS work.
Most people here have a great deal of knowledge modifying this PCM.

Not Good -

The PCM is an older design than the E38.
The PCM does has less resolution than the E38.

E38 ECM:

Good -

Higher resolution than the LS1 PCM.
Faster processor, newer design ECM.
Is the std. ECM for the L98 6L.

Not Good -

More expensive than the LS1 PCM.
There is less knowledge about how to tune the E38 ( though it is there... )

Given it's going in a boat and there should be no issues with TCM / BCM interconnections, I'd run an E38 ECM ( providing it can be set up to not look for the BCM ). The tuning tables in the E38 should work very well. However if you are more comfortable working with one of the LS1 COS tunes, then that would be fine as well.

Simon.

Harrismarine
October 5th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks Simon, I have tuned a heap of motors on the LS1 PCM . But I like a challange so would like to try an E38 as it means I dont have to change the crank and cam wheels, And the new motors have a single bolt cam wheel making it even harder!!

Can anyone tell me if it can be set up to not look at the BCM??

Mike

gmh308
October 11th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks Simon, I have tuned a heap of motors on the LS1 PCM . But I like a challange so would like to try an E38 as it means I dont have to change the crank and cam wheels, And the new motors have a single bolt cam wheel making it even harder!!

Can anyone tell me if it can be set up to not look at the BCM??

Mike

Use the E38. This means you can use a stock harness (with a few mods), and use factory cals that are already built for the L98 /fuel/air etc characteristics (assuming you will use MAF). It is more "plug and play". And you dont have to pull the crank, and throw the cam and cam sprocket away etc etc.

Yes the E38 can have VATS disabled so that it does not need the BCM etc.

Trust this helps.

Harrismarine
October 12th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the info, I would run MAF less tune.

Mike

Harrismarine
October 25th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Has someone got a stock tune from a L98 that I can have a look at?

Mike

gmperformancecentre
October 25th, 2008, 08:26 PM
here's one from a L98 VE Commodore 6 speed manual

gmh308
October 25th, 2008, 08:28 PM
here's one from a L98 VE Commodore 6 speed manual

Mike, FYI - There is also an 09 VE L98 A6 included in the current D/L of EFILive.

Harrismarine
October 26th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Thanks Guys,

dom
December 1st, 2008, 01:13 AM
Sorry guys, but whats the diff between the M6 and the A6 tunes?
Thanks

gmh308
December 1st, 2008, 08:14 AM
Sorry guys, but whats the diff between the M6 and the A6 tunes?
Thanks

Other than one integrates with a 6 speed auto, and one integrates with a 6 speed manual :hihi:, maybe if you D/L'd EFILive and the files, you could run through and compare them.