PDA

View Full Version : EFIlive freezing with road runner!

rally1
October 4th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Does any one have an issue with EFIlive freezing while using their roadrunner? I have two laptops and they both have the same issue.

If I open the scan tool with the roadrunner USB plugged in the scan tool will freeze… if I open tune tool with the road runner plugged in the tune tool will freeze, Ctrl Alt Delete will not stop the programs, I have to power down my laptop and start over :confused:

I have to make sure that the road runner is not plugged in on start up of both programs to stop this happening.

Once its up and running if I try to open an extra tune tool to look at tables from a different operating system that tune tool will lock, I have to stop connection unplug USB open new tune tool go back to original tune tool plug USB back in and reconnect.

Is this normal for every one else or am I the only one?

mr.prick
October 5th, 2008, 03:39 AM
what version of firmware is installed on the RR?
RR 12.14R is the version you should have.

rally1
October 5th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Just checked and I do have RR 12.14R...

hquick
October 5th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Get rid of the standard USB plug/ribbon cable combo and go straight to the PCB header board. There's a mini USB 'B' port you can plug straight into.

rally1
October 5th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Get rid of the standard USB plug/ribbon cable combo and go straight to the PCB header board. There's a mini USB 'B' port you can plug straight into

How would that help? The integrity of the connection is good, if I connect the USB cable after starting the program it all works well.

hquick
October 5th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Well....it's happened to quite a few of us whereby the RR will either freeze, drop out, stop updating etc because of interference caused by the USB ribbon cable.
Craig is working on a fix for this at present.
Mine used to drop out and/or freeze up daily. Since connecting straight to the internal USB port....it's never done it again....and I use it daily.

hquick
October 5th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Have a read of this thread.

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=8646

rally1
October 5th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Ah that makes a little more sense, but I never have it frezze once a connection is established it is only on startup of each program making me think its more a bug than a hardware issue, but I will give it a shot because there is no harm trying and will let you know the outcome.

Thanks Howard .

rally1
October 5th, 2008, 06:39 PM
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=8646

Very interesting reading Howard, will try to swap it over in the next few days. Thanks again.

hquick
October 5th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Just make sure you remove the ribbon cable (it unplugs at each end).
Just having the ribbon plugged in whilst using the mini USB port caused it to drop out/freeze.

s10mods
October 11th, 2008, 06:47 AM
where do you get the new firmware, I have v12.13-R.

mr.prick
October 11th, 2008, 06:57 AM
it`s supposed to be here
http://www.moates.net/documentation.php?documentation_id=22
but it`s not.

email Moates for it and ask him why it`s not there.
i can post it but i`m not sure if that would be acceptable or not.

rally1
October 16th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Well removed the ribbon cable and fitted a mini USB cable direct to my laptop... and it still locks both the scan and tune tool if i open them with the RR plugged in... any more ideas???

hquick
October 16th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I just played around with the drivers but not sure that's your issue.
Need to contact Craig I think.

rally1
October 17th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Yer i think i need to try my luck with contacting Craig about this one.

What did you do with the drivers hquick?? thats really where i think the issue lies..

Its not really a huge bug as i now know what to do to avoid it happening, but every now and then when things get out of sync and i loose communictaion and it tries to reconect I get frozen programs....

hquick
October 17th, 2008, 11:04 PM
You could try downloading the driver cleaner....and then re-load the drivers as per the instructions.
Seemed to work for me when mine used to lock up.

N0DIH
October 26th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I got some bizzare results with EFILive Scan and my RR, as the RR isn't too happy at all about sharing the USB port with anything. So if you can, make sure it is on another USB port (with nothing else on it). My laptop has 4, 2 and 2, 2 on one port and 2 on the other. So if I run EFILive on the one with the RR, things get "sassy"....

VT LS1 NZ
November 30th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Does any one have an issue with EFIlive freezing while using their roadrunner? I have two laptops and they both have the same issue.

If I open the scan tool with the roadrunner USB plugged in the scan tool will freeze… if I open tune tool with the road runner plugged in the tune tool will freeze, Ctrl Alt Delete will not stop the programs, I have to power down my laptop and start over :confused:

I have to make sure that the road runner is not plugged in on start up of both programs to stop this happening.

Once its up and running if I try to open an extra tune tool to look at tables from a different operating system that tune tool will lock, I have to stop connection unplug USB open new tune tool go back to original tune tool plug USB back in and reconnect.

Is this normal for every one else or am I the only one?

Are you still having issues??

I recently upgraded software from 7.5.3(B36) to 7.5.5(B74) and have been experiencing all the same symptoms above in fact I know of others as well having the same issues.This becomes very frustrating.

I went back to software 7.5.3 and the scan/Tune & Roadrunner run faultlessly.

VT LS1 NZ
December 1st, 2008, 07:57 AM
Ok is anyone else experiencing problems with the scan & tune tool with the roadrunner connected?

All my drivers etc are up todate.And I'm sure I have upgraded properly,
The only thing that I haven't done was delete the registry when upgrading from V7.5.3 to 7.5.5.
Unfortunately since the only way to exit the program is to down power the PC therefore I'm unable to provide an error report for EFILive analysis.
As previously mentioned no problems with the earlier release.
Thanks

5.7ute
December 1st, 2008, 11:00 AM
I havent used my roadrunner since upgrading yet but I will give it a go later today & see if there is an issue. One question though is have you used the update feature in Efilive to get the very latest update patch? The reason I ask is there was an issue with V7.5 recognising both V1 & V2 at the same time for the license upgrade process. I wonder if this is a related issue.

Blacky
December 1st, 2008, 11:02 AM
Are you still having issues??

I recently upgraded software from 7.5.3(B36) to 7.5.5(B74) and have been experiencing all the same symptoms above in fact I know of others as well having the same issues.This becomes very frustrating.

I went back to software 7.5.3 and the scan/Tune & Roadrunner run faultlessly.

The RR I have here works fine with the latest release so I am struggling to figure out what the problem is.

Can you bring your RR (in vehicle), FlashScan and laptop over here sometime before Wed night? If so, I'll take a look and see if I can figure out the problem.

Regards
Paul

rally1
December 1st, 2008, 06:10 PM
Im still having all the same issues with mine!

I have not tried going back in software so really don’t know if that helps in my case..

If you cant make it over Darren I think I could get one to Paul tomorrow to have a look at, I have a pretty busy day but I would really like to get to the bottom of this, I might just have to send the boy over just let me know guys..

rally1
December 1st, 2008, 06:14 PM
Just to let you know im running V7.5.4 build 66...

Blacky
December 1st, 2008, 07:07 PM
I'll be here all day, if someone can show me the problem, I'm sure I can fix it once and for all. Send me an email to paul@efilive.com to organize a time.

Regards
Paul

VT LS1 NZ
December 1st, 2008, 07:32 PM
Im still having all the same issues with mine!

I have not tried going back in software so really don’t know if that helps in my case..

If you cant make it over Darren I think I could get one to Paul tomorrow to have a look at, I have a pretty busy day but I would really like to get to the bottom of this, I might just have to send the boy over just let me know guys..

Ive connected Paul and I'll make a visit tomorrow hopefully we'll get it sorted.

rally1
December 1st, 2008, 08:24 PM
Excellent guys I will be waiting to hear the out come as this has been really annoying me for some time now...

Paul’s place is almost Manukau Darren… if you have time on the way home call into work.. I would love to have a look over your car before you come in to break our dyno :grin:

John02SS
December 3rd, 2008, 03:01 PM
Looking forward to seeing the results from this, as mine will stop updating and freeze the tuner completely. Same here, reboot and go again. It does this at least 1 time everytime I work on the file. Works get when it works, pain in the ass when it freezes. lol

VT LS1 NZ
December 4th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Ok its all related to the drivers.
You need to delete the Roadrunner drivers and run the flashscan drivers for the Roadrunner.

With RR connected go to "Device manager" and find and delete the RR driver.
Do a FTClean of the RR driver (enter 6001 in the Pid hex).
Then reconnect RR and install it using the Flashscan driver.
Open the Tune tool go to Edit/Properties/RR and change the RR connection type to Native USB.

Ive tested mine for two days now without fault ,You don't have to worry about plugging which USB in first or when you plug it in I haven't faulted it.
This should save a lot of head aches for a lot of you out there.
:cheers:

rally1
December 4th, 2008, 08:54 AM
With RR connected go to "Device manager" and find and delete the RR driver.
Do a FTClean of the RR driver (enter 6001 in the Pid hex).
Then reconnect RR and install it using the Flashscan driver.
Open the Tune tool go to Edit/Properties/RR and change the RR connection type to Native USB.

VT LS1 NZ came in and carried out this change on my computer and it has been running faultlessly for the past two days :cheers:

Thanks Paul and Darren for sorting this one out, it means one less stress factor in my day :grin:

CC&M
February 6th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Is there a solution for this problem in Vista. My RR continues to emulate without a hitch, but the scan software loses connection with the vehicle while the RR is connected. Needless to say this makes RTACS impossible to use. I have the driver for the RR in Vista that Craig has posted on his site, is there a better/different one from EFI that corrects this problem?
Wade

Blacky
February 6th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Is there a solution for this problem in Vista. My RR continues to emulate without a hitch, but the scan software loses connection with the vehicle while the RR is connected. Needless to say this makes RTACS impossible to use. I have the driver for the RR in Vista that Craig has posted on his site, is there a better/different one from EFI that corrects this problem?
Wade

See post #28.

i.e. don't use the RR drivers, use the FlashScan drivers instead. That way there is no conflict between the driver versions. I think the drivers from Moates.net are more recent and are conflicting with the FlashScan drivers.

Regards
Paul

mr.prick
February 7th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Are you using firmware 12.14 for the RR?