PDA

View Full Version : Flash memory programming.

rally1
October 4th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I believe I have the late model road runner that can switch between flash memory and road runner.
I assume this means I can read and write via the OBDII plug? I have tried but it comes up that my PCM is locked. Is there a key specific to the road runner?

MICK
October 4th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I believe I have the late model road runner that can switch between flash memory and road runner.
I assume this means I can read and write via the OBDII plug? I have tried but it comes up that my PCM is locked. Is there a key specific to the road runner?

Sorry there but I'm under the impression that you can't flash a RR through the OBD plug. It was the early model RR's that got the flash chip as well as the emulation, maybe not the later models. In the RR control panel you can select between flash mem or emulation and upload to the RR via the supplied cable or btooth.

Cheers

Mick

N0DIH
October 5th, 2008, 01:07 AM
I have asked a few times on flashing through OBD port and no answer either. I don't think you can. A true ROM emulator ~should~....

I'll bug Craig more on it.

mr.prick
October 5th, 2008, 03:46 AM
why would you want to go through the slow as hell OBD2 port?
one of the joys of having the RR is fast uploads/downloads.

i believe the first batches of RR did not have the flash chip
but now all come with it.

N0DIH
October 5th, 2008, 06:37 AM
I was having problems with mine writing the VIN, it wasn't, so I was thinking of full flash through OBD port to do it.

I used EFILive Scan and wrote it and all was fine. Strange that my program (not EFILive Flash, don't have RR license yet as my PCM isn't supported yet) wouldn't, even through it said it was....

rally1
October 5th, 2008, 06:42 AM
The only reason that I want to is once I finish on the dyno I take all vehicles for a road test and make a few fine changes on the road to the trans settings etc, my roadrunner has had the odd brain fart on the side of the road and needs to be unplugged from the vehicle for a reset which is no fun on a rainy day.
I was hopping I could put a tune on the flash chip so I could switch to that and see if the vehicle runs.

rally1
October 5th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I have also had issues with the VIN, out of the blue about every 5 vehicles (about once a week) there will be no VIN so the scan tool will not work, flashing using the roadrunner emulator will not load one so I have to use the tune tool to program one in, just a small thing but a pain…

mr.prick
October 5th, 2008, 12:16 PM
unplugged reset?
have you tried this:
http://www.moates.net/documentation.php?documentation_id=34
sometimes you can skip step #3

as far as the VIN you can copy it the same way as with a stock PCM
through the PCM security option.
if you can`t that is odd.

rally1
October 5th, 2008, 06:44 PM
http://www.moates.net/documentation.php?documentation_id=34

I had not seen that, it will make things much easier, thanks.