PDA

View Full Version : Vortec into Open Loop?

GAMEOVER
October 5th, 2008, 02:40 PM
How can I force(if possible) my Vortec controller into Open Loop? Is it possible to run Vortec OS's in SD mode?

GAMEOVER
October 7th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Nevermind, I got it (OL) DAMN!!!:rockon:SD is the shit:rockon:

GAMEOVER
October 15th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Well after attending the EFI Live class in Temecula, CA this past weekend I figured out that I was never in SD mode:( just no MAF(wrong parameters enabled & disabled) Has anyone succesfully gotten a Vortec 98-00 pcm in SD. I'm really regretting using my 1998 s-10 V6 as my guinea pig...I should have used an LSx based vehicle with a V8...dangit

GAMEOVER
October 16th, 2008, 02:59 AM
I was going to try to attemp the auto ve but there are quite a few tables missing in the Vortec controller as opposed to the LS1 type controller...

wait4me
October 16th, 2008, 04:54 AM
If you have no maf on your vehicle then it is in speed density if it is running.

GAMEOVER
October 16th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Really... Man, I'm confusing myself. I guess what I was trying to do is put my truck in SD via the autove tutorial. That's when I figured out that most of the tables, that are talked about or referenced to, in the Autove tutorial, weren't available in the Vortec Controller...

ChipsByAl
October 16th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Gameover, can you log commanded AFR? If so you may be able to do an AutoVE on your PCM. Disconnecting the MAF and both front O2 sensors will put the engine in open loop/speed density. It might not like it, but you can try. Log the Map, RPM, BEN, and commanded AFR. Create a map and see how it does. You might have to ignore DFCO enleanments. Of course repinning your harness and going with the 411 PCM would make the AutoVE process and other tuning much easier.
Al

GAMEOVER
October 16th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Yes, I can log command AFR. I will give it a try. Thanks.......

Aloicious
October 18th, 2008, 01:02 AM
Of course repinning your harness and going with the 411 PCM would make the AutoVE process and other tuning much easier.

yup, I love my 411 in the '96...

make sure the MAF is actually failing and sending you into SD mode (MAF will set a code when it fails, I forget the actual code # though)

but like wait4me said, if you don't actually have a MAF and its running, you're in SD mode.

GAMEOVER
October 20th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Chips by Al,
Thanks...I got it to run in SD-Open Loop. My truck wasn't too bad. It was very drivable. WOW... Measured AFR(11.5) Command AFR(14.63).........
EDIT: *measured AFR 15.5* *command AFR 14.63*

GAMEOVER
October 29th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Yes, I was finally able to do the Autove on my 98 s10:) but I got one question should I paste and multiply to the main ve table or backup ve table? The tutorial says paste and multiply to the backup ve table...why? Is that if I plan to run OL-SD. If I do plan to run OLSD does the PCM use the backup VE "exclusively" because I am in OLSD-no MAF ???

joecar
October 29th, 2008, 04:50 AM
When in OLSD (which is required in order to do the AutoVE procedure), the PCM fails over to the Backup VE table... it uses it exclusively.

GAMEOVER
October 29th, 2008, 05:39 AM
So i should focus on the backup VE table and ignore the main VE table? While in OLSD i.e.? If I go CLSD ignore backup VE and focus on Main VE table?

:) Sorry for all the ?'s

GAMEOVER
October 29th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Man, I hope that made a little sense...:)

Aloicious
October 29th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Man, I hope that made a little sense...:)

I could be way wrong, but I believe you'll tune the backup VE using autoVE while in OLSD mode, get it the way you like it, then copy it to the main VE (making the backup and main VE the same) that way whenever the PCM is using a VE table to calculate anything, it is using a correct figure.

I don't even understand why there is a backup VE table at all, its not like the actual volumetric efficiency of the engine is going to change running with/without the MAF or O2's...I think thats why it was eliminated in later OS's and just have the main VE table.

joecar
October 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Yes, in SD (OLSD, CLSD), the Backup VE table only.

When going back to MAF, then copy/extrapolate the Backup VE table to the Main VE table... you will notice that the Main VE table is bigger has more cells.

Only the 97/98 OS's had the Backup VE table... good question is "why for what is the point of it"...?

99+ OS's dropped the Backup VE table.

GAMEOVER
October 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Thank you gentlemen...I really do appreciate your help and guidance:)This is getting easier by the day!

GAMEOVER
October 31st, 2008, 08:02 AM
When viewing a log,(Scan Tool Charts) is the W02 sensor supposed to be as steady as the Command AFR or not? Would a burned Valve show up on a Log? And make the W02 info change constantly from about (14.40 AFR---14.90 AFR) when Command AFR is 14.7...Normal driving i.e. Man, I think I need to get some sleep:)

ChipsByAl
October 31st, 2008, 08:36 AM
A burned valve will show up in engine performance long before you attempt to try tuning, at least I would hope. Misfires read as very lean, an abundance of O2 is in the cylinder. You might smell raw fuel and think it is lean but it is just incomplete combustion.
Al

joecar
October 31st, 2008, 09:25 AM
Innovate say on their website that the LC-1 is fast and will show individual exhaust pulses... I imagine other widebands are similarly fast.

The LC-1's LM Programmer software allows you to select 1/3 or 1/6 averaging, which smooths out the signal...
I don't know if this applies to the serial AFR or just to the analog AFR.

GAMEOVER
October 31st, 2008, 10:16 AM
That's exactly what i changed on my LC-1 this afternoon!!! For some reason the LC-1 went back to its default values....I changed it from real time(default) to 1/3 averaging like I had originally done 3 months ago! Anyways, looks good now:)

joecar
October 31st, 2008, 12:29 PM
Yes, I have seen the LC-1 sometimes revert back to default settings... I think it has something to do its power source and/or powering up.

GAMEOVER
November 1st, 2008, 02:24 PM
Man, after getting my S-10 dialed...I took a drive this morning and broke three roller rockers arms(self-aligning really suck) and bent 4 pushrods..... Damn, no one to blame but myself :doh2: I had the rev. limiter set to 5500rpm while I was scanning & tuning this past week and I wanted to bump it up to 6000rpm but for some fu$%ing reason I bumped it up to 7500rpm...over-reved I guess...
Maybe now I can convince myself to do a V8 transplant 6.0ltr