PDA

View Full Version : PCV Catch Cans for Sale

TAQuickness
September 5th, 2005, 08:29 AM
In effort to help my fellow tuners with mysterious MAP, IAC, MAF, & KR problems, I've started fabricating and selling PCV Catch Cans. I have two styles available, top draining ($35 USD + shipping) and bottom draining ($45 USD + shipping).

The catch cans are pre-assembled and ready to install. Installation takes <30 minutes and requires a flat-blade screwdriver. Catch cans are available in black, silver, red, or un-painted (specify the color you'd like and I'll try to match it) and include installation instructions.

Please PM, Email (TAQuickness@houston.rr.com), or reply to this thread if you have any questions or would like to purchase one a catch can.

Silver Top Draining:
http://70.116.105.79/catchcan/silvertds.jpg

Silver Bottom Draining:
http://70.116.105.79/catchcan/silverbds.jpg

Black Bottom Draining:
http://70.116.105.79/catchcan/blackbds.jpg

Red Bottom Draining:
http://70.116.105.79/catchcan/redbds.jpg

GMPX
September 5th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Please explain to the mechanically challenged (me) the benefit of this?.
I am assuming that the current setup from the factory sucks too much oil through?.

Cheers,
Ross

John Skiba
September 5th, 2005, 12:39 PM
The LS1/LS6 family does a very nice job of wetting down the intake and intake runners with oil from the PCV system.

How is your catch can baffled on the inside? You have to have an air/oil seperator for it to work. If its just a hollow can, then its effect will be minimal. Can't tell you how many version I built in the last 5+ years. ;)

Using the LS6 valley PCV system over the old FBody LS1 stock PCV systems helps quite a bit. Couple that with a good oil/air seperator and it's mostly effective.

TAQuickness
September 5th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Please explain to the mechanically challenged (me) the benefit of this?.
I am assuming that the current setup from the factory sucks too much oil through?.

Cheers,
Ross

Ross - 100% correct. My car would pull about 1 tablespoon of oil per 100 miles. That's just under 1/2 qt per 3000 miles. This was also causing exsessive KR for me (up to 8.8* KR). I currenlty empty the catch can every other fill up. I could go longer, but every other seems to work fine for me.

The LS1/LS6 family does a very nice job of wetting down the intake and intake runners with oil from the PCV system.

How is your catch can baffled on the inside? You have to have an air/oil seperator for it to work. If its just a hollow can, then its effect will be minimal. Can't tell you how many version I built in the last 5+ years. ;)

Using the LS6 valley PCV system over the old FBody LS1 stock PCV systems helps quite a bit. Couple that with a good oil/air seperator and it's mostly effective.

I'm not sure how to explain how it's baffled, but I can asure you it is baffled and works quite well. I have been running a test mule in my bird for over a year now with great success.

http://70.116.105.79/catchcan/installeddoc.JPG

John Skiba
September 6th, 2005, 02:47 AM
Let me rephrase. It's not an empty can right? It has a divider for inlet /outlet and some sort of filteration media to seperate the oil mist and have the oil drop to the bottom? From your picture it looks like it does a good job. Do you take off the intake periodically to see how much oil is on the runners in the heads?

I've been fortunate as none of my LS1s even remotely close used to a 1/2 qt every 3000 miles, but none the less, an unfiltered PCV system will puddle quite a bit of oil in the intake and the intake runners. And it definitely seems to be a cause of KR.

Ross - Bypassing the PCV system does affect tuning if you haven't tried it yet. That's why we use catch cans.

joecar
September 6th, 2005, 03:43 AM
The PCV hose comes from the rear of the two valve covers.
When you accelerate, the following sequence occurs:
a. lots of oil gets pumped to the rockers,
b. said oil flows to rear of valve cover (g-force),
c. said oil gets sucked thru PCV valve and into intake manifold.

I was seeing 1 quart every 1000 miles (...GM dealer says "that is normal oil consumption"... LOL HA HA).
Can be expensive if you use synthetic oil.
As TAQuickness said, I was seeing quite a bit of knock (7° for 10 seconds at a time... ouch...).

And of course, it's not a good idea to bypass the PCV subsystem; you want the crankcase to be under vacuum for various reasons.

TAQuickness
September 6th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Let me rephrase. It's not an empty can right? It has a divider for inlet /outlet and some sort of filteration media to seperate the oil mist and have the oil drop to the bottom? From your picture it looks like it does a good job. Do you take off the intake periodically to see how much oil is on the runners in the heads?

I've been fortunate as none of my LS1s even remotely close used to a 1/2 qt every 3000 miles, but none the less, an unfiltered PCV system will puddle quite a bit of oil in the intake and the intake runners. And it definitely seems to be a cause of KR.

Ross - Bypassing the PCV system does affect tuning if you haven't tried it yet. That's why we use catch cans.

Correct, It's not an empty can. There is a baffle installed to deflect the air flow to the bottom of the can. The baffle system cools the oil causing the vapors to condense leaving the oil in the can.

Dirk Diggler
September 12th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Received my catch can today and it looks very professional. Shipping was fast and the install went like a breeze. Thanks TAQuickness for a cheaper alternative. Mine is even painted silver to match my car ;)

Black02SS
September 12th, 2005, 03:35 PM
Sounds great, too bad it won't make it any faster ;)

Tydriver
September 12th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Any ideas on what the performance will be like on a forced induction Gen3 motor ?

I am interested.. LMK..

TAQuickness
September 12th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Received my catch can today and it looks very professional. Shipping was fast and the install went like a breeze. Thanks TAQuickness for a cheaper alternative. Mine is even painted silver to match my car ;)

thanks Dirk! Your's looked so good, I was tempted to put it in my own car. ;)

TAQuickness
September 12th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Any ideas on what the performance will be like on a forced induction Gen3 motor ?

I am interested.. LMK..

Should work just fine. Send me an email with your zip and I can send you a price with shipping.

87gmc
September 13th, 2005, 01:39 AM
79762 HOW MUCHY

TAQuickness
September 13th, 2005, 02:25 AM
79762 HOW MUCHY

Sent you a PM

Black02SS - your breaking my heart! :)

Dirk Diggler
September 13th, 2005, 02:51 AM

Hahahahahahah I am allready .6 faster than some H/C cars when you buying yours?

joecar
September 13th, 2005, 07:46 AM

Hahahahahahah I am allready .6 faster than some H/C cars when you buying yours?

It does make you (...your car, that is...) faster because now your plugs aren't getting oiled and because you now eliminate oil ingestion (which lowers octane) as a cause of knock.

TAQuickness
September 17th, 2005, 04:43 AM
I have updated the original post with photo's of both the top and bottom draining style cans.

I also wanted to share with you the following:

After 1 tank of gas ~ 230 miles
http://70.116.105.79/catchcan/removed1s.jpg
http://70.116.105.79/catchcan/removed2s.jpg
http://70.116.105.79/catchcan/removed3s.jpg

The photo's are a bit fuzzy (camera doesn't like to focus on the clear cup) but as you can see, the catch can prevented 0.676 fl oz (20ml for the metric types) of oil from entering my intake manifold.

Tordne
October 6th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks TAQuickness :!:

Mine arrived a few days ago... It has removed my KR issues one one simple step 8). No changes whatsoever to spark tables.

There was the one particular place on my way to work where I would always get various amounts of KR. It was coming off the back of a speed bump in second gear. If I gave it too much gas, KR was inevitable.

Have now done three trips over those things (and been very generous :wink: with the throttle... And nothing!

One well impressed customer!

Cheers,

TAQuickness
October 7th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Muchas Gracias...

Amazing how much oil comes thru the PCV system and how it effects driving. Make sure you empty the can after the first 200 miles (320 or so KM) to get an idea of how much oil you are collecting.

Gelf VXR
March 31st, 2008, 01:27 AM
A long shot, are these still for sale and suitable for the LS2?

97K15004WD
March 31st, 2008, 01:43 AM

Plus 1

TAQuickness
March 31st, 2008, 09:38 AM

Yes they would be suitable for an LS2, but I closed shop about a year ago. It's very hard to compete with ebay.

redhardsupra
March 31st, 2008, 10:48 AM
yea but i got some of them for sale still ;)

TAQuickness
March 31st, 2008, 10:52 AM
Ah yes! I figured you would have sold them off by now RHS.

redhardsupra
March 31st, 2008, 01:17 PM
nah, grad school has a way of taking away things like time or life...

97K15004WD
March 31st, 2008, 03:29 PM
nah, grad school has a way of taking away things like time or life...

Still have some?

nonnieselman
March 31st, 2008, 04:13 PM
yea... you still making these... i just saw the thread and id be interesting and gettin you some money.

redhardsupra
April 1st, 2008, 12:04 AM
yes i still have a few, i'll do inventory tonight of how many of what color i got left, i gotta run to work tho now ;)

Sherk
April 1st, 2008, 02:29 PM
I would like one also...

Preferably bottom draining, and black is a definite positive, but for the price anything will do.

Let me know what ya got.

Gelf VXR
April 4th, 2008, 02:40 AM
yes i still have a few, i'll do inventory tonight of how many of what color i got left, i gotta run to work tho now ;)

Any news of what you have left. I would like silver or black please?

redhardsupra
April 4th, 2008, 11:09 AM
damn it people, where were you when i had the time and needed the money :)

sorry for delay, i had few busy days, i'll get on it tonight.

redhardsupra
April 5th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I got 3 silver and 2 red on hand. I took some pictures but the silver ones reflect the flash so much the pics are all washed out. Let me know who wants which ones and we'll figure it out.
Please contact me through marcin(no space, no dot, no nothing)pohl@gmail.com
http://static.flickr.com/3140/2391019878_6b24e91d92_d.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/92934077@N00/2391019878/)

97K15004WD
April 5th, 2008, 03:35 PM
email sent....

redhardsupra
April 5th, 2008, 03:44 PM
silver ones are spoken for, two red ones left (and I found one more black one if you're interested)

Gelf VXR
April 11th, 2008, 12:33 AM
silver ones are spoken for, two red ones left (and I found one more black one if you're interested)

Hopefully one silver one spoken for, for me? Is paypal ok, I'm located in the UK also?

redhardsupra
April 11th, 2008, 12:57 AM
no, all silvers are gone, i got two reds and one black left. you want it?

Gelf VXR
April 11th, 2008, 01:52 AM
no, all silvers are gone, i got two reds and one black left. you want it?
Black one please? cheers