PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to EFI Live

Bad Max
October 24th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Hello guys, I am new to this site and i have a Dmax LBZ with a lot of ATS mods and a crappy Bully Dog programmer that I have on right now. was on diesel Page and there were a lot of guys saying "Come on man, get rid of that junk and get EFI Live and you will love it". So I am in here lurking and I do not know jack about EFI Live and do you need a laptop to operate EFI Live?

If you need to know my setup in order to tell me what I need, please ask. I need as much help from you guys, I am just a newbie. :unsure:Thanks

Dtuner
October 24th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Hello Mad Max

A laptop would be helpful, your desktop may get a little awkward when behind the wheel tuniing,,,:) take your time and save everything before you flash, Is probably the best advise to start with, learn to work with both aspects of EFILive scan n tune, are 2 different things. Many people here will have good advise for you.:cheers:

Brian1
October 24th, 2008, 11:01 AM
At this time a computer is required for changing tunes and uploading and downloading from the vechicle. I the future there are plans to store tunes on and Sd card and change them with the EFILive unit only. As for modifying them I would think a computer is still required.

I would check out www.dieselplace.com forums. Lots of EFI-Live info in the forum section on Custom Programming section. If you plan to go that way check the Vendor list there and see who sells EFI-Live. Many include a free tune or 2 when you purchase from them. I myself have dealt with Nick from www.duramaxtuner.com . Very good guy yo work with. He can help or write a tune that can help you get going. There are a few other Vendors like McRat and I forget the other one but yet there are others. So check out Dieselplace forums and ask lots of questions and read the many post there and use the search tool as well. Many questions much like this have been asked and answered there.

I use EfiLive on a LMM Duramax and love it. Never had an issue yet. have uploaded many tunes with not a single problem. I have not been able to spend the time to learn EFILive and all the options that can be changed. But one day I hope too. Things that help is look at a stock tune and a modified tune and see the differences. EFILive can easily generate output that compares tunes and shows you the differences so it makes it easier to see the changes quickly.

Brian

The Neens
October 24th, 2008, 02:23 PM
So I am in here lurking and I do not know jack about EFI Live and do you need a laptop to operate EFI Live?

You can use a desktop as well, but you'll either need to park right outside the window, and/or have a very long USB extension...Some guys have done it this way...

Call Guy @ www.socaldiesel.com (661-775-5620) or Kathy @ www.mcratracing.com (951-270-0808)

Both have excellent customer service and will be able to answer any questions you have...

Bad Max
October 25th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the response, does the truck need to be run in order to calibrate the tunes, check hp, torque, quarter mile times, 0-60 times, etc. Also to check everything from power levels, injectors, timing, all these stuff that is needed to know when using this EFI tune. Reason for asking this is because I do not have a laptop, guess if it is really needed to get a perfect tune or does the vendor calibrate for you and mail you the tuner to download to the truck?

sweetdiesel
October 25th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Bad max
Ive been running EFI for the last couple years and still dont know it all

All I can say is you did choose the right equipment EFI is hands down the best how ever it is a little complicated but choosing good friends and asking the right questions is a good thing!

Deiesel trucks can take quite a bit of punishment as far as bad or wrong tunes from what ive tried lucky for you there is a lot of guys that have been ther done that now so you have ther advice to fall on,Neens is one of those people! he will shoot ya in the right direction
As far as diesel place dont epect great results from there IMO people that know DONT talk and people that dont really know do talk JMHO not saying that there isnt still good people left but just be wize with who you listen too

Dtuner
October 26th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Maz
I am a dealer for Efi Live, and can get you setup, with the equipment you would need, :ie V2 / software, I can send you a couple of comp tunes to get you started, that have been proven on my chasis Dyno, I will also get you started on the procedure for DPF removal on 08 LMMs but you need to know about the CVNs, before you make the decision to make the mods, feel free to contact me, 941-376-5287 Rick /Dtuner

Bad Max
October 26th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Let me get started with some information on my truck, it is a 07 LBZ DMax 4x4 crew cab with ATS upgrades ( Aurora 4000 just blown with a oil seal failure a week ago and awaiting a new one from ATS in the meantime) (Just blew an Aurora 3000 about 8 weeks ago due to a EGR door blown off in turbo and lodged in the turbine) Aurora 4000, ATS head studs, ATS Cyclone 100 hp injectors, twin CP3 fuel pump, FASS lift pump with twin filters, Water Boy injection, PPE intercooler, ATS intake system, AFE 4 inch exhaust straight piped, ATS Extreme transmission with 5 Star converter, Co pilot and Bully Bog with Crazy Larry program. With all this setup, it should be 700+ hp and not sure on torque but Clint Canon says 1400 psi of torque. So I still have the bottom end of motor stock and lucky I have not bent a rod yet. :doh2:
What setup or tunes of EFI Live should be compatible with my setup in my DMax? I like this truck to be real fast in quarter mile. Bone stock LBZ with this setup should be in mid 12's. I will let you guys tell me what I really need and what is the ET's this truck is capable of with EFI Live? :help2:

8100 Power
October 26th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Let me get started with some information on my truck, it is a 07 LBZ DMax 4x4 crew cab with ATS upgrades ( Aurora 4000 just blown with a oil seal failure a week ago and awaiting a new one from ATS in the meantime) (Just blew an Aurora 3000 about 8 weeks ago due to a EGR door blown off in turbo and lodged in the turbine) Aurora 4000, ATS head studs, ATS Cyclone 100 hp injectors, twin CP3 fuel pump, FASS lift pump with twin filters, Water Boy injection, PPE intercooler, ATS intake system, AFE 4 inch exhaust straight piped, ATS Extreme transmission with 5 Star converter, Co pilot and Bully Bog with Crazy Larry program. With all this setup, it should be 700+ hp and not sure on torque but Clint Canon says 1400 psi of torque. So I still have the bottom end of motor stock and lucky I have not bent a rod yet. :doh2:
What setup or tunes of EFI Live should be compatible with my setup in my DMax? I like this truck to be real fast in quarter mile. Bone stock LBZ with this setup should be in mid 12's. I will let you guys tell me what I really need and what is the ET's this truck is capable of with EFI Live? :help2:

You will defiantly get more time with a good EFI tune. You can account for most of your mods to fine tune them, therefore more efficiency from what you have.