PDA

View Full Version : 4.5 dmax ECM???

DURAtotheMAX
October 26th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Here is what looks to be a picture of the 4.5 dmax ECM. I grabbed it from a youtube video. Ross/Paul any idea what kind of ECM it is??? Doesnt really look like an edc-16 like the LBZ/LMM ECM...something different? :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J4wFwIXC7U&feature=related

ben

GMPX
October 27th, 2008, 09:27 AM
No idea what that ECM is, we saw that at SEMA 07, it was big and nasty with the words Bosch on it :frown:

DURAtotheMAX
October 27th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I wonder why they are going bosch with the diesel ECM's?? You would think if it was some sort of licensing or package deal thing with bosch (the rest of the dmax fuel injection system being bosch), they would have started with the first dmax and made the LB7 bosch-based too. Delphi ECM development doesnt seem to be losing steam in GM's gas vehicles, so whats the deal with diesels?

Some new ECM that bosch is working on? As I understand the EDC-16 is a pretty ubiquitous ECM platform among diesels all over the world, is it really running out of "headroom" as far as capability and processing power? I wonder if theres something that the 4.5 dmax needs taht the EDC-16/LBZ/LMM style ECM doesnt support???

if it is indeed some new bosch piece, would the innards of it at least be similar enough to the current bosch ECM's so that it would not be like starting over from scratch if you guys were to support the 4.5 dmax in the future?? (as opposed to if GM went to siemens or denso, or something TOTALLY different)

ben

GMPX
October 27th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Well, it's all speculation at this stage what it might be.
Of interest, Delphi make a new generation Diesel ECM that is used in Europe that is based on the Siemens Tri-Core CPU's. The Denso Diesel ECM as used on the 7.8L is based on the SH-2 CPU (same CPU the Sega Saturn used!). Then of course Bosch use the PowerPC CPU, so really they are all on par with each other. It would have to come down to cost.

From what I've seen Denso are ahead in the Diesel technology stakes, I hope GM never switch to them.

Comparing the code structure of the Delphi gas ECM's like the E38 v's the spider web programming Bosch use it would be really nice to see a Delphi Diesel ECM based on the PowerPC.

Cheers,
Ross

DURAtotheMAX
October 27th, 2008, 09:57 AM
thanks Ross, interesting info.

Hopefully they will stay somewhat standardized with the 4.5 and new 2010 dmax. With the new piezo injectors and higher rail pressure the two engines will probably be even easier to get lots of power out of. Also, with the cylinder pressure monitoring that the ECM's are going to do, there must be some cylinde pressure limter/multiplier tables that can adjust fueling. Wow would those tables be fun to mess with; tune it for max power, but then tune the cyl pressure maps to automatically pull fuel back if cylinder pressure exceeds (whatever level is dangerous to stock rods and stuff) X psi, much like the ECT or IAT limiter tables do now...

I cant wait to see it all... :cool:

hopefully you guys will be able to conquer the new dmax's, whichever direction they go, I dont see that being a big problem though. :D

ben

GMPX
October 27th, 2008, 10:17 AM
hopefully you guys will be able to conquer the new dmax's, whichever direction they go, I dont see that being a big problem though. :D

ben

Hard to know, Bosch know how to lock down ECM's REALLY well if needed (see BMW Diesel stuff), it could be really bad or typical GM.

Cheers,
Ross

MN C5
October 27th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Hard to know, Bosch know how to lock down ECM's REALLY well if needed (see BMW Diesel stuff), it could be really bad or typical GM.

Cheers,
Ross

At that point wouldn't you guys be better off offering a alternative CPU that would provide factory (like) functionality for Off Road Use?

GMPX
October 27th, 2008, 12:03 PM
At that point wouldn't you guys be better off offering a alternative CPU that would provide factory (like) functionality for Off Road Use?

"You guys" as in EFILive offering an aftermarket ECM? Ah, that will never happen.

MadMaxx61
October 29th, 2008, 08:27 PM
That is why we have people like Volker Schwarz (MDE MCSCHWARZ DIESEL ENGINEERING LLC)that do make stand alone ECM's for high performance applications.

GMPX
October 30th, 2008, 09:44 AM
The problem with replacement ECM's is the factory ECM is so tightly integrated with every other module in the vehicle, unless it supports all the CAN messaging etc then it's just not going to work 100% as a drop in replacement.

Cheers,
Ross

rcr1978
October 30th, 2008, 11:12 AM
That is why we have people like Volker Schwarz (MDE MCSCHWARZ DIESEL ENGINEERING LLC)that do make stand alone ECM's for high performance applications.

I thought he only did injectors and his business did not make it unfortunatly?

MadMaxx61
October 30th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I thought he only did injectors and his business did not make it unfortunatly?

He is starting back up slowly and he does more then just injectors.

The Neens
November 1st, 2008, 05:11 PM

What do they cost? I couldn't find a price on the website...

MadMaxx61
November 2nd, 2008, 09:35 AM
What do they cost? I couldn't find a price on the website...

I am not sure as I have never looked into getting one yet but I would think it would all be on what you need it to do and for what kind of block it is going to be ran on.

You could also PM him on the other site duramaxdiesels.com but it might be a bit as he will be with a bunch of the guys going to SEMA.

8100 Power
November 2nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
I am not sure as I have never looked into getting one yet but I would think it would all be on what you need it to do and for what kind of block it is going to be ran on.

You could also PM him on the other site duramaxdiesels.com but it might be a bit as he will be with a bunch of the guys going to SEMA.

I don't think he's heard of that site before??:secret::hihi:

GMPX
November 11th, 2008, 09:09 AM
FYI, the 4.5L Duramax was a no show at SEMA this year, c'mon GM, what is the deal?

vortecfcar
November 12th, 2008, 07:05 AM
The standalone stuff that's out there right now is very high dollar, like 'buy another regular cab truck' expensive. It doesn't support anything except engine control, like Ross mentioned. What it does, it does well though - big rpm and easy control. Definitely for dedicated pull trucks/drag racers.

Nick

kbracing96
November 12th, 2008, 01:21 PM
FYI, the 4.5L Duramax was a no show at SEMA this year, c'mon GM, what is the deal?

With my luck it's gona get the axe. :( With loosing tons of money and 3 dollar stock I'm sure there going to be cutting lots of things...

64camino
November 12th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Last i heard it just got pushed back at least another 6 months.

GMPX
November 16th, 2008, 10:11 AM
What a shame, it has the potential to make the torque of a 502 big block and get the economy of a V6 all in the same package size as a small block, it's the hot rodders dream motor.