PDA

View Full Version : Vin License & Calibration ???'s

GAMEOVER
November 1st, 2008, 06:46 AM
Why is it, when I flashed a 2006 Silverado PCM, my V2 didn't use up the engine and trans license? I did quite a few changes to the transmission(TM) and My V2 shows I only used the engine/powertrain license...I hope that's normal and I didn't screw anything up:(......I'm only supposed to use the "change pcm with currently loaded calibrations" button right? Or do I use the "program pcm with currently loaded operation system and calibrations" :confused::confused:

JBeas

Tordne
November 1st, 2008, 08:25 AM
You only need to do the full flash (operating system and calibration) when you are changing the underlying OS (i.e. upgrading to an EFILive COS).

Licenses are only allocated on the first flash of an unlicensed ECM. Subsequent flashes don't use additional license. The only exception to this is Stream licenses.

joecar
November 1st, 2008, 08:59 AM
JB, does your Silverado have a PCM only or a ECM plus TCM...?

GAMEOVER
November 1st, 2008, 11:17 AM
Well it's a (friend's/kinda of side-job:)) 2006 4X4 Silverado and it has a 5.3 Vortec with the PCM....I have total of 6 Vin license's on my V2 and when I did flash the Silverado(in question) the V2 didn't use up a transmission license only engine license! I know they got flashed into the PCM because the "Drive" before and after were quite different? It's just weird that my Flashscan shows that I have 5 available trans license when I know that I changed the transmission calibrations in 2 of the VIN License!!!!!! 1 vehicle was a 2004 Denali and 1 is a 2006 Silverado both with extensive calibration modifications to the Transmission Torque Management, TCC, Shift Times, Shift Pressure's, Abuse Management e.t.c hehehe:)

GAMEOVER
November 1st, 2008, 11:44 AM
I guess I was used to flashing my ECM & TCM in my 2008 Silverado. I never paid attention to the Flashscan V2 Vin Licensing window in the HELP section in the EFI Tune Tool. OK my question is Why is it showing that I have available Trans. License's? When I know I used them up! I'm sorry If I'm being a pain-in-the-butt:)

02Z06
November 1st, 2008, 12:36 PM
I guess I was used to flashing my ECM & TCM in my 2008 Silverado. I never paid attention to the Flashscan V2 Vin Licensing window in the HELP section in the EFI Tune Tool. OK my question is Why is it showing that I have available Trans. License's? When I know I used them up! I'm sorry If I'm being a pain-in-the-butt:)
The 06 Silverado uses a PCM (24 tooth reluctor). Not ECM + TCM

GAMEOVER
November 1st, 2008, 12:54 PM
Sorry, I was refering to my 08 Silverado that use's a ECM & TCM :) Read post#4

joecar
November 1st, 2008, 03:48 PM
If it has a PCM only, the PCM controls both engine and transmission... so when you flash the PCM it doesn't use a trans license...

i.e. a single PCM (combined engine+trans) vs ECM(separate engine)+TCM(separate trans).

iow: licensing is per "controller".

GAMEOVER
November 1st, 2008, 03:51 PM
Gotcha, Thanks that's what I wanted to know...