PDA

View Full Version : tuning vy v6 commodore

aza03
November 3rd, 2008, 11:53 PM
hi i have efi live v4 software and cable from when i owned a vr i am just wandering can i use the same cable and software to tuning my vy commodore. if it is possible would anyone have a vechile file for the vy commodore in .xml format. thx

Blacky
November 6th, 2008, 08:24 PM
The VY 5.7 liter requires EFILive V7.x and can be scanned and tuned using FlashScan V1 or V2.

The VY 3.8 liter can only be scanned by EFILive V4. WE don;t offer tuning for VY 6 cylinders.

Regards
Paul

aza03
November 9th, 2008, 12:39 PM
if you can use efi v4 to scan vy v6 commodore does anyone have a vehicle file or know where i can get it from

Tordne
November 9th, 2008, 08:20 PM
We haven't moved these across to the new site yet. Here is a link to the file: http://209.132.211.34/download_V4xml/gmh-vy6.zip

aza03
November 10th, 2008, 09:52 AM
thx. you have all been very helpful

johnnyk
March 1st, 2009, 12:24 PM
Hi,

I've got a V8 VY Monaro and have a 9 pin RS232 ALDL cable (which I used to use with my V6 VR).

Could you confirm this serial cable will work with the VY V8 Monaro and EFI Live V7?

Thanks.

John

Blacky
March 1st, 2009, 02:29 PM
Hi,

I've got a V8 VY Monaro and have a 9 pin RS232 ALDL cable (which I used to use with my V6 VR).

Could you confirm this serial cable will work with the VY V8 Monaro and EFI Live V7?

Thanks.

John

No, the VY V8 is not supported with the ALDL cable.

You must use FlashScan V1 for GenIII engines or FlashScan V2 for GenIII and GenIV engines.

Regards
Paul

johnnyk
March 1st, 2009, 03:15 PM
No, the VY V8 is not supported with the ALDL cable.

You must use FlashScan V1 for GenIII engines or FlashScan V2 for GenIII and GenIV engines.

Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the quick response. Can I re-confirm that EFI Live V7 will not work with the VY V8 Monaro?

I need to purchase the hardware solution (FlashScan) ?

Blacky
March 1st, 2009, 04:45 PM
On the software side:

EFILive V7 is the correct software for VT series II thru to the latest model VE commodore V8s.
EFILive V4 is compatible with VN, VP, VR, VS and VT series I (V8s). And for VN, VP, VR, VS, VT, VX and VY V6's

On the hardware side:

EFILive V7 software uses FlashScan V1 or V2. V1 supports VT-II thru VZ (non HSV) and V2 is for ALL VT-II to current V8 commodores.

EFILive V4 software uses various ALDL interfaces but NOT FlashScan.

We intend to add software to the next version of V7 (called V8 - not to be confused with V8 engines) that allows you to scan and log ALDL vehicles using FlashScan V2.

Hope that is not too confusing.

Regards
Paul

johnnyk
March 1st, 2009, 05:43 PM
I think so :)

What you're saying is that I need EFI Live V7 as well as the hardware (FlashScan) ?

Is there any way I can avoid purchasing the hardware, but use V4 or V7 of EFILive to read limited data (I'm interested in seeing stored fault codes, and viewing the oxygen sensor's signal).

GMPX
March 1st, 2009, 10:04 PM
The V7 software is free, anyone can download it.
But to actually talk to your VY GenIII you will need the V1 (or V2) hardware. The data bus on the V8's is totally different to what your VR used.

Cheers,
Ross

johnnyk
March 4th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I found a post by blacky where he suggests trying the vehicle definition 'gmh-vt8-ls1.xml'

I tried that and got some data coming through. I'm thinking someone may have added to this definition? Also, what does the FlashScan do? Is it just a protocol converter? If so, why can't this be done in software?

GMPX
March 5th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I found a post by blacky where he suggests trying the vehicle definition 'gmh-vt8-ls1.xml'
This is only the data that is shared with the instrument cluster, BCM etc, it's only about 10% of the data the PCM will give you on the VPW Class2 bus that the V4 won't communicate on but Flashscan V1 does.

I tried that and got some data coming through. I'm thinking someone may have added to this definition? Also, what does the FlashScan do? Is it just a protocol converter? If so, why can't this be done in software?In 'simple' terms it is a protocol converter, the timers on the PC ports are not accurate enough to communicate on the VPW Class2 bus directly, plus it has non standard voltage levels. Flashscan V1 contains a chip specifically designed to communicate on the VPW bus, that is then translated to USB.

Cheers,
Ross

johnnyk
March 5th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks Ross, all making sense now :)

Other than FlashScan, what other interfaces does efi live V7 support?

Blacky
March 5th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks Ross, all making sense now :)

Other than FlashScan, what other interfaces does efi live V7 support?

AutoTap V2 (AT1 and AT123 serial) and AutoTap V3 (ATU USB)
However, AutoTap interfaces are only used by EFILive for scanning - not for tuning.

Regards
Paul

Tre-Cool
May 26th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Hi guys, has there been any progress on getting scanning ability for the vt-vy model 6 banger's?

probably low on your list, but all i'd really like is the ability to see fault code dtc's etc and check o2 voltages. just the basic stuff to see why a car would have problems with surging at cruise. i.e map, timing, tps.

Blacky
May 26th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Hi guys, has there been any progress on getting scanning ability for the vt-vy model 6 banger's?

probably low on your list, but all i'd really like is the ability to see fault code dtc's etc and check o2 voltages. just the basic stuff to see why a car would have problems with surging at cruise. i.e map, timing, tps.

EFILive V4 will scan, log and show DTCs for V6 and V8 Holden engine Commodores up to VT series 1 correction: up to VY.

Regards
Paul

Tre-Cool
May 27th, 2009, 01:05 AM
EFILive V4 will scan, log and show DTCs for V6 and V8 Holden engine Commodores up to VT series 1 correction: up to VY.

Regards
Paul
yeah, but can i use the v2 hardware though?

Blacky
May 27th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Not yet. That option will be added as part of the V8 scan software. Which will happen once the standalone reading/flashing is complete.

Regards
Paul

MICK
October 12th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Not yet. That option will be added as part of the V8 scan software. Which will happen once the standalone reading/flashing is complete.

Regards
Paul

This sounds very interesting as I just purchased a VY V6 for my partner, cough (for me to play with!). Especially if some of the current features in the scan tool software are available.

The VX and VY V6 N/A PCM's are a flash type PCM, just wondering if you have given any thought to supporting the read and write to these PCM's as there just a little old am29f010b-120je PLCC32....:) I have been giving it plenty of thought of late. I really like the thought of a S/C on these models and I see many of them in the pro tuner shops. I see there are custom operating systems available for the L67 option.

Currently I'm putting together a definition template for tuning these little puppies, very ugly looking MAF code I must say with over 1600 parameters. No wonder GM did a right turn after this model.

Also looking at PLCC 32 emulation which will get me around the read and write via aldl. There might be some future for the LT1 guys in this as well.

When time comes, I would love to test this out for you guys if possible.

Hummmmm very interesting.

Cheers

Mick