PDA

View Full Version : EFILive and Banks Ottomind6

Schweinmesser
November 11th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I remember reading somewhere, maybe, that I should remove my in line tuner, like the Banks Ottomind, before I use EFILive to tune my PCM. I've tried searching but came up empty. I can't remember if I read it here, or somewhere else.
So my question is, do I need to remove my Banks Ottomind everytime I need to tune my truck or is it ok to leave the box plugged into the engine harnesses while I tune the truck?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ScarabEpic22
November 11th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Personally if I were using EFILive Id have no reason for an inline tuning module. Why are you using both, that might not be such a good idea as the inline modules trick the ECM/TCMs signals to make power and if you're actually modding the ECM tables, Im just thinking out loud here but that might be a recipe for disaster... I dont know for sure, but I would use one or the other IMO.

Schweinmesser
November 12th, 2008, 03:58 AM
I had the Ottomind before I got the EFILive. I'm mainly using EFILive with...uhhh...uhhh...well, something fell off a few days ago. :doh2:

I'm running a stock tune right now with EFI and using the Ottomind for power changes.

Thanks!
Ronnie

ScarabEpic22
November 12th, 2008, 05:44 AM
Ah, I gotcha man. That "missing" part might be some diesel filter right? :)

Well since you've invested the $$ in EFILive, when you get the time to learn how to really tune your Dmax it will make more power than your Ottomind can but I guess until then Id keep the Ottomind in.

Schweinmesser
November 12th, 2008, 07:02 AM
so...would you say it's safe to leave the Ottomind plugged in when I flash my truck with EFI?
when I flashed the truck for that thing that fell off, I unplugged the Ottomind completely, to be safe. needless to say, it was a PITA. i'm getting ready to do some EGR stuff with EFI and would like to flash without removing the Ottomind.

(as I get more time, I will start playing with EFI tuning. :D )

thanks,
Ronnie

hondarider552
November 12th, 2008, 08:54 AM
so...would you say it's safe to leave the Ottomind plugged in when I flash my truck with EFI?
when I flashed the truck for that thing that fell off, I unplugged the Ottomind completely, to be safe. needless to say, it was a PITA. i'm getting ready to do some EGR stuff with EFI and would like to flash without removing the Ottomind.

(as I get more time, I will start playing with EFI tuning. :D )

thanks,
Ronnie
personally, i would sell your banks.

efi is all you need.

I assume that you have a lmm, so start with the dpf regen, and egr.

roadkill81304
November 14th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Do not know with banks sppecifically but when I first got EFI I was using an edge inline tuner and it would cause problems with the data transfer to and from the engine ecu. If I were you, I would disconnect the banks system before trying to retrieve stock files or upload your own. And yes be careful about what you modify with efi as you cannot know what banks modified, cuz we all know they're not going to tell us.

hondarider552
November 14th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Do not know with banks sppecifically but when I first got EFI I was using an edge inline tuner and it would cause problems with the data transfer to and from the engine ecu. If I were you, I would disconnect the banks system before trying to retrieve stock files or upload your own. And yes be careful about what you modify with efi as you cannot know what banks modified, cuz we all know they're not going to tell us.You can read the banks tunes with efi...

Schweinmesser
November 15th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I thought Banks was an intercept or inline which doesn't change anything in the ECM. I can understand that an inline might give you comms trouble when trying to read/write to the ECM.

To be frank, my ECM was already tuned with the Banks still connected. It was tuned only for the speed limit and the fuel tank, no engine tunes. They seemed to have taken. I did make a backup of my stock tune with no Banks connected.

Thanks!
Ronnie

Nor-Cal Nick
November 18th, 2008, 08:00 AM
I had the Ottomind before I got the EFILive. I'm mainly using EFILive with...uhhh...uhhh...well, something fell off a few days ago. :doh2:

I'm running a stock tune right now with EFI and using the Ottomind for power changes.

Thanks!
Ronnie

You have things falling off your truck? :angel_innocent:

This I think would get tricky to the point that every time you down load you would need to make sure you where in the same tune leave right? I would also say sell the Banks and loose the on the fly for a all around better tuner.

Hey question....since Banks claim to fame is the cleanest LMM tuner.....what does she put out for smoke on the different tunes now that there is no filter to catch it?

Schweinmesser
November 18th, 2008, 08:05 AM
You have things falling off your truck? :angel_innocent:

This I think would get tricky to the point that every time you down load you would need to make sure you where in the same tune leave right? I would also say sell the Banks and loose the on the fly for a all around better tuner.

Hey question....since Banks claim to fame is the cleanest LMM tuner.....what does she put out for smoke on the different tunes now that there is no filter to catch it?

Hey Nick!

I've only had it on level 2 since that thing fell off. When I get on it, I get a little smoke, not much though. So it seems pretty clean. I haven't tested the other levels yet, but will be doing so soon. I need to come see you soon about a plate :grin: I'll give you a call when I'm ready.

-Ronnie

Nor-Cal Nick
November 18th, 2008, 08:12 AM
That's cool ... it's funny because I had a guy tell me on the higher levels with his banks and no filter it smokes pretty good. Makes you kinda think how clean there tuning is and how much of it is not seen because of the filter. Try it out and see what she does, kinda like to here another guys thought.

Yea just let me know. :)

Schweinmesser
November 18th, 2008, 08:28 AM
yea, I'll let you know.

Schweinmesser
November 19th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Nick,

I put the Ottomind on level 5 and romp'd on it a few times. It smoked a little...definetly nothing to write home about. I've seen Cummins trucks smoke more at idle than what I was seeing on level 5. :hihi:

Nor-Cal Nick
November 19th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Nick,

I put the Ottomind on level 5 and romp'd on it a few times. It smoked a little...definetly nothing to write home about. I've seen Cummins trucks smoke more at idle than what I was seeing on level 5. :hihi:

Well I guess the guy i talked to might have something else going on. I stand corrected. Thanks man..

Schweinmesser
November 19th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Did he have a Six Gun? Might be why he was smokin' more.

BTW, I think I'll be scheduling with you for next week to put a plate in. :angel_innocent: Just putting the finishing touches on the EGR tune, or lack of EGR. I'll probably pop the tune in this weekend and come see you sometime next week. :D

Ronnie

Nor-Cal Nick
November 19th, 2008, 06:50 AM
It might have been the 6gun?

Next week the installs are closed...everyone will be gone playing in the sand. I am staying be hide Mon-Wed. Closed Thur/Fri. But we can get you in the next week.

Schweinmesser
November 19th, 2008, 07:24 AM
ahhh...ok. no worries