PDA

View Full Version : Trans problem, is it in the tune? lockup problems maybe?

beefcake
November 15th, 2008, 03:32 AM
i've had a bunch of problems with a "flare" as i call it over the past few weeks since my s/c install

i hadn't really driven the car much as it was back and forth between my tuners and the chevy dealership

we were gettting a solenoid 5 stuck open code (2724 i think) GM replaced the tcm which has all new coils in it, and it was still doing it. also, it was still doing it on a stock gm TCM tune, so we can rule out TCM programming as the culprit.

2 weeks ago, it appeared the problem had went away, after picking my car up over the weekend, 2nd day back, it did it again, what happens, is the trans flares when shifting at least most of the time, and then locks in neutral with the code, and then defaults to 2nd gear. clear the code, it's fine.

now, after driving the car over the past few days, i'm almost sure it's converter related, whether tuning, or something wrong with the converter, mainly lockup

on the car, the dyno laid down 588 and 502 torque. it will run to redline in 4th gear, and there is no push through

yesterday, for the first time, i noticed the check engine light on before the trans flared. i had come to a stop at the light, noticed the light on, maybe the converter unlocked when coming to a stop, checked the code, and the trans code was on. when it went to shift to 3rd, it flared on me and went limp.

what i also noticed listening close to the trans and how it feels, it seems like the converter is locking and unlocking too much. for the record, the problem happens at light loads not heavy loads, after i cleared the code last night, i was driving and i could tell the converter was not locked, pushed the gas, and i just knew it was gonna happen, and it flared on me and locked in limp mode again.

today, i was paddle shifted in 5th gear, went from maybe 5% throttle to maybe 10% throttle, it felt like the converter unlocked, and maybe 1 sec or so later, locked back in

is it possible my lockup is jacked? possible something in the pcm tune affecting the tcm

i mean, i kicked down from 55 and the car took off like a raped ape yesterday, so i don't know whats goin on,

any help would be appreciated, i've searched the net and haven't been able to find any instances of this problem

the car ran perfect with the headers and cam, this happened right after the s/c install with virtually no seat time or beating on the car

shane
November 15th, 2008, 11:29 PM
check the trand shift pressures, shift speeds ect. with the new s/c you will be using lots less tps to achieve the same speeds so flaring can become apparent. check the trans slip test stuff as well if it slips it can go into limp mode.Hope this helps
Shane

beefcake
November 16th, 2008, 01:02 AM
check the trand shift pressures, shift speeds ect. with the new s/c you will be using lots less tps to achieve the same speeds so flaring can become apparent. check the trans slip test stuff as well if it slips it can go into limp mode.Hope this helps
Shane

thats what i'm thinkin after driving it the past couple days is that the converter is slipping, and causing the limp status, the trick is fixing that