PDA

View Full Version : Who can find the problem?

JOHNGEAR
November 15th, 2008, 05:24 PM
ok, here is the tune and here is a log, fuel will jump up to 100psi at max boost and i can now predict where and when it will bog up so i adjust the WOT and try not to allow it to bog up.
hope there is a doctor in the house?

JOHNGEAR
November 15th, 2008, 05:46 PM
a good example is to start at frame 2947 and watch how it will surge and it feels like the e-brake is applied i kept it to the floor for a bit and you can see when i let off

JOHNGEAR
November 16th, 2008, 11:21 AM
strange, i must be asking all the wrong questions.
i need to prove that it is not a belt issue so i will use a white paint marker and place an indicator line across the side of the belt & pully and run it hard then see if the indicator line can be matched up again, i think this should prove if there is a belt issue

GMPX
November 16th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Sorry John, I'm not a mechanical guy...

5.7ute
November 16th, 2008, 04:31 PM
It looks to me like you hit a limp mode & can not get past a certain limit. I notice that the mil & processing for P1514 are turned off & wonder if you are triggering this in the pcm & are unable to see it.
Some wideband data would be good to see if maybe the engine is getting flooded out also.

JOHNGEAR
November 17th, 2008, 02:27 AM
so you CAN see a problem where the rpms max out at wot , well any and all help from this forum is why i enjoy the time i spend here. thanks

joecar
November 17th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Hi JOHNGEAR,

hmmm... I see where rpm's peg out (and TP is WOT)...

What is your motor and what are all your mods...?

What is max boost, and tell us more about your FPR...?

What injectors do you have (what size)...?

How did you take that log (on the street)...?

Some comments (I don't know that they will help):
- if your FPR has a non 1:1 pressure curve, then you don't know the IFR (a 1:1 FPR would be better),
- your IFR table looks low,
- it's hard to tune for boost without a COS; you have OS 12212156 which allows you to easily jump into COS3 or COS5,
- I would set P1514 to MIL in C6002 (No MIL might cause the "test" to always fail, regardless of C6001 (see my next comment)),
- I would set P1514 to 1 Trip in C6001 (as suggested by 5.7ute above).

Yes, log wideband AFR.

5.7ute
November 17th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Some good points there Joe. I am going off the assumption that this is an etc vehicle as the predicted airflow tables are populated. These limits are being exceeded at the time the problem is evident so may be the cause. Unfortunately we all know where assumptions can get us.

joecar
November 17th, 2008, 01:00 PM
G'day Mick,

The ETC sanity tables work together, I'm not sure how... but they may also kick in with non-ETC, but I'm not sure if/how.

I agree with you, either the limits are exceeding... or the "test" defaults to failed...

i.e. I'm assuming it works like the OBD-II readiness tests where you need both the MIL enabled for the DTC and the DTC set to "Not Reported" to get the readiness monitor to say "Ready" without actually running the test... if the MIL is disabled then the readiness monitor always says "Not Ready"...

yeah, we know where our assumptions will get us... :grin: ...and sometimes we get lucky...:cucumber:

Cheers
Joe
:cheers:

JOHNGEAR
November 17th, 2008, 02:19 PM
thank you for your intrest,
some things you may need to know:
1996 K1500
all stock 5.7 stock injectors(19lbs i do belive)
350000 + kms
all logs are done on the street and in traffic
max boost = 6lbs (have not quite reached it yet)

i can get it to 5000 rpms without any problems when not in gear(have to watch it cause it climbs fast)
i wonder if it is a tranny issue (i tell you it is like 1st and reverse are activated at the same time when i have this issue at WOT but not when at part throttle)

oh the tranny(4L60E)was rebuilt with a 2000 stall,B&M shift kit/2-3 servo,corvett 4th servo,larger clutch and bands, output shaft from the SS truck(hardened shaft) ,,,that is it.

JOHNGEAR
November 17th, 2008, 03:01 PM
and i noticed the MAP signal will max out and then i have THE problem

5.7ute
November 17th, 2008, 03:19 PM
We need a bit better description of anything modded from stock.
For instance is your fuel pressure rising to 100psi due to a boost referenced regulator with a greater than 1:1 ratio? Is it due to an electronic boost a pump set up?
Since I know next to nothing about the US cars do you have an electronic throttle or cable?

JOHNGEAR
November 17th, 2008, 03:37 PM
hi, it has a cable for throttle control and this is the set up i have,,,yes it comes with a FUM to control fuel under boost
4GM218-050SQ is the part # for the kit Vortech

5.7ute
November 17th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Since the issue happens under boost (over 104kpa map) there are a few things I can think of.
FMU is raising fuel pressure too high causing an excessively rich condition (verify with a wideband)
An installation fault.
A sanity check table is being exceeded.(log parameters to check these tables) I am not sure which will invoke what code (if at all) so you will need to go through them all.
The first thing to do is beg, buy or borrow a wideband to see what is happening to the afr's under boost.
FWIW a 12:1 fmu will increase the fuel pressure by 72 psi at 6psi boost which I would have thought is extremely hard on injectors. 58psi + 72psi = 130psi.
The 124 psi difference between fuel & manifold pressure under boost only increases the flow rate to the equivelant of a 28lb injector. Not a lot of gain for the extra stress on the fuel system.

JOHNGEAR
November 18th, 2008, 03:01 AM
question about a wide band,,,,if i buy one, is that all i need is one? or do i need two? and do i remove the stock o2 sensor so the wide band can go in its place? or do i have to weld a new bung and does it matter which side it is on if i need only one

JOHNGEAR
November 18th, 2008, 03:06 AM
plus i had a fuel gadge hooked up and poking out of the hood so i could see it and take note of the pressure as i did my log

5.7ute
November 18th, 2008, 11:58 AM
One wideband is enough. I run mine in the passenger side header(your driver side) in place of the factory o2 sensor. You will need to simulate the narrowband sensor with your wideband sensor if you are not using a seperate bung.

JOHNGEAR
November 18th, 2008, 06:10 PM
hi, i need some help on what type and kind of o2 wideband i should get plus after i install it, how do i log it?

5.7ute
November 18th, 2008, 07:01 PM
The most commonly used on here seem to be.
Innovate lc-1 or lm-1
plx devices.
To try to tell you which to use would be unfair as they are all well priced & accurate enough to suit our needs.
I use the lm-1 as the stand alone data logging is necessary for some of my other vehicles. Do a search on here & you will find a few threads on the subject.

shane
November 18th, 2008, 08:01 PM
May be a silly question but have you replaced you map sensor to a 2 bar or similar?

JOHNGEAR
November 19th, 2008, 03:32 AM
hi, no i have not replaced the map,,,all is stock,,about the o2, i see there are 3 wire/5 wire (you get the idea) picking one with what or how many wires is where i need help
thanks

5.7ute
November 19th, 2008, 12:25 PM
hi, no i have not replaced the map,,,all is stock,,about the o2, i see there are 3 wire/5 wire (you get the idea) picking one with what or how many wires is where i need help
thanks

You cannot just buy a sensor alone as a controller is necessary to both operate the wideband & give an analog or serial output to log in efilive.

JOHNGEAR
November 19th, 2008, 02:31 PM
thank you for your help i now have a good idea on just how to go about getting a stand alone unit.
results soon to come

JOHNGEAR
November 30th, 2008, 10:29 AM
WOW!!!! i found the problem, it was the crankcase vent tube that is connected to the intake side of the supercharger, it was sucking up oil at high rpms and that was the black smoke(oil stains on exhust) comming out the tail pipe.
i removed the oil fill cap (replaced with k&n filter) and problem is gone but will still pick up oil at top boost(2nd gear/4500 rpms) and give me a problem.
does anyone know if i can delete the vent to the intake side and just put a filter on it to let it escape on its own?
thanks

JOHNGEAR
December 21st, 2008, 10:37 AM
it was also the comanded fuel @rpm
this tune works good,some knock maybe cause it is a little lean?

joecar
December 21st, 2008, 10:45 AM
Which crankcase/pcv vent tube...? Can you post a pic...?

Do you have the F-body PCV system or the LS6 valley-cover PCV system...?

joecar
December 21st, 2008, 10:55 AM
Why is your B3601 Stoich AFR set to 14.52 and not to 14.68 or 14.63...?

Also, in the tunetool, go Edit->Properties->Commanded Fuel and make sure you have set AFR or EQ (and not Lambda).

In B3647 CFOL why is the last column EQ 0.962...? This is too lean (if PE doesn't kick in).

The rest of B3647 CFOL allows semi-open loop (SOL) which uses STFT to trim to B3601...
but if B3601 is too far from 14.68 or 14.63 then it may not work (do you see it working -> does wideband AFR oscillate tightly around your B3601 AFR...?)

B3618 PE is sufficiently rich based on your B3601, but (see next point)...

B3616 PE enable set at 100% means that PE only kicks in at WOT...
you will have to do either or both of the things:
- set B3616 to 60% below 3800 rpm and 35% above 3800 rpm;
- set the last 2 columns of B3647 to EQ 1.1084 (same as B3618 PE).
I would do both for safety.

JOHNGEAR
December 23rd, 2008, 02:28 PM
here is the new tune and log (it was done on the street and at frame 2290 is where a new 350 ford turbo tried to take me out but he did not know what hit him)
the reason the B3601 was 14.52 cause i did not want it to lean out too much when in the last column
i did like the new tune much better thank you

5.7ute
December 23rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
Deleted due to too much xmas cheer.:doh2:

joecar
December 24th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Too lean at WOT as indicated by HO2Sx1 voltages (and presence of KR)...

You have a blower, is your boost VE table correct (need a wideband)...
this makes it important that you get your boost AFR's to 11.5 or something...
I'm not knowledgeable regarding boost, but I do see you're too lean at boost.

See attached edit of your tune, open it and compare with _0006 using the tune compare button
(but first go Edit->Properties->Options and set Calibration Difference to "Calibration - Alternate").

JOHNGEAR
December 24th, 2008, 06:37 AM
hi, i just got a fast duel wide band meter but it is soooo darn cold (-36*C) that i am not going to try it untill it warms up.
i see you changed other things like trans pressure, what made you want to do that?
i do have a b&m shift kit and 1-2/2-3 servo in it with corvete 3-4 servo,2200 stall,larger bands and clutch upgrades and a hardened output shaft from a ss truck.
i will try this and log it for you
thank you ,,this is cool, someone one helping me with my truck and he has not even put a hand on my truck wow!

joecar
December 24th, 2008, 10:24 AM
If it shifts too hard, just revert the trans edits back to _0006.

Cheers,
Joe
:cheers: