PDA

View Full Version : RR not connecting..need help

superspeed
November 17th, 2008, 03:32 PM
So last week my road runner was working fine and then went to tune this week and no luck at all....i didnt change anything with the car, and i dont think anything changed with my laptop. In the process of trying to fix it i used FTclean to remove all the drivers from my laptop for RR and then used the selfextracting driver file from moates and it still does not work. does anyone have any tricks i am missing here? I am not sure if this matters but my RR, Efi Live V1, and Wideband commander all go into a usb hub in my car so i only have to plug 1 usb cable in. It has never been a problem before just started to not work now.

Tordne
November 17th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Couple of things to check:
- Is the RoadRunner appearing as a COM Port in Device Manager, and what is the COMM Port number (i.e. COM4)?
- In the EFILive Properties (RoadRunner tab) is the Connection Type set to Virtual COM Port?
- When Virtual COM Port is selected does the Scan From COM1 to COM n include the COM Port assigned to the RoadRunner (couple of steps above)?

Blacky
November 17th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Try using the native USB drivers for RR. Like this:

1. Uninstall the FDTI virtual com port driver for RR.
2. When you reconnect RR, and Windows tries to load the drivers, point the driver install wizard a the EFILive FlashScan USB drivers (instead of the Moates supplied USB drivers).
3. In the EFILive tuning software, select the Properties window, RR tab page.
4. Select the Native USB option for RR. (See attached image.)
5. Select the USB <-> Serial device name (i.e. the RR device)
6. Try to connect to RR.

That eliminates the whole virtual com port interface and any potential problems associated with it.

P.S. I always use the native USB drivers for RR and never have any connection trouble.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
November 17th, 2008, 10:30 PM
If/when you need to update RR firmware using the firmware programming software from Moates, you will most likely have to re-install and use the virtual COM port drivers for the RR device.

Regards
Paul

superspeed
November 18th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Ok went to the native port setup and got it to work with no problems...for now. I am not sure why it was not working before on native but i think its just my cheap gateway computer confusing the drivers...because this time when i pluged in the car it came up with "installing drivers" and then worked again...so who knows.

Thanks for all the help guys now i just need to get out and do some tuning so i can figure this RR thing out more.

superspeed
November 26th, 2008, 04:22 PM
this thing is driving me nuts...it was working for like 2 days and then stoped again. I am fairly sure it was my laptops fault but now it says device is not responding or something like that in windows when i try to install the new driver. And without installing a driver it says unsupported device....i am about to throw my laptop across the room and into a wall.

mr.prick
November 26th, 2008, 05:35 PM
have you seen this?
http://www.moates.net/roadrunner/livestart.htm

superspeed
November 27th, 2008, 12:23 AM
yea, no luck with that.....like i said it has worked before but seems like my computer just loses the drivers or something every now and than.

N0DIH
November 27th, 2008, 08:11 AM
My RR isn't happy when it has to share the USB channel with anything else, just glad my laptop has dual USB channels (Dell Precision M65) so it works out very well.

Maybe it isn't "sharing" the port well?

I have a USB V1 and my RR is of course USB. So if EFIL and RR on the same USB Channel I get dropped RR and dropped and unstable and not able to connect to EFILive at all.

Try connecting to the RR with NOTHING else on the USB channel (1 channel might have multiple ports/connectors, so just because you have 3-4 might not mean there is sufficient bandwidth there)

I have heard hubs and USB don't get along well either.

Anyone make a RS-232 to USB adapter? Make sure of the RS-232 port maybe?

hquick
November 27th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Mine used to do the same.
Get rid of the ribbon cable and connect straight to the internal 'mini-USB-B' port.

mr.prick
November 28th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Mine used to do the same.
Get rid of the ribbon cable and connect straight to the internal 'mini-USB-B' port.

you should`nt need to do that with as much as these cost. :sneaky:
check your cable connector.
i had the cable pull out of the connector a little, and i had
to push it back up into the connector and gently pull the pins back
up into position.

hquick
November 28th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Yes....you're correct. But...Craig Moates has suggested that the ribbon setup causes interference within the unit and is working on a fix.
I've had no more issues since removing mine.

superspeed
November 30th, 2008, 04:22 AM
i dont really think its the connector cause it has worked in the past...but what do i know. I would really love to get this working right so i can actually tune my car....i think i blame my cheap laptop, i am gonna try to install everything on a friends laptop and see how that all goes.

IAMGEZO
December 7th, 2008, 07:47 PM
JUST A NOTE FROM A NUBEE> RECEIVED MY ROAD RUNNER A MONTH AGO FOR USE IN A TRANSPLANT.. CRAIG SHIPPED MINE WITHOUT THE CONNECTOR / CASE INTERFACE. THE USB CABLE DOES DIRECTLY INTO THE CASE AND IS SEALED WITH SILICONE, SO I'M ASSUMING THIS CONNECTOR / RIBBON CABLE ISSUE WAS A CONTINUING PROBLEM. FOR WHAT ITS WORTH, I COULDN'T GET THE ROADRUNNER TO CONNECT TO MY DELL DESKTOP until I UPGRADED TO NEWEST 7.5 BUILD , BUT SONY LAP TOP WORKED FINE EVEN WITH 7.4 > GO FIGURE??

s10mods
January 29th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I cant connect to my RR with TC2, it works fine with EFILive, but when I try to connect to it with tunercat It just sits and waits, does it not work with both softwares or do I have to load different drivers for tunercat, I havnt used my RR on my new laptop only with efilive :help2:.

N0DIH
January 29th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Check your ports, make sure TC2 has the right port setup. I think EFILive and TC2 use same drivers for the RR. So if one works so should the other.

I found that my RR and EFILive (RR on TC2) don't get along at all when they are on the same channel of USB. My Dell M65 has dual channels (4 ports) and works very well, but when I put them on the same, it drops often.

what OS are you running on the laptop?

I run the port speed max on TC2.

s10mods
January 29th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I have 2 dell laptops, an inspiron 8100 and 1525, both running XP, I tried the RR on my old 8100 and it connected with TC, it must be a port setting. I am messing with it now to try and get it to work.