PDA

View Full Version : speedo failure

hymey
November 17th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I flashed a tune into my e38pcm a week ago and after doing so the speedo decided to stop working. It came up with the typical warnings on the dash..ie traction control and abs failure. These normally dissapear after a few key starts but I noticed the speedo wasnt working either. The warnings stopped but the speedo has since not worked. The traction control abs and speedo all not working. There is no signal coming from the e38 as I can not log it through the obd, it says 0 the whole time, and DFCO has stopped working as well as the coast down spark tables. It appears there is a signal to the pcm just none coming from it. I have checked all fuses and connections. I have done a full reflash with stock tune of the same os and disconnected the battery to reset the pcm with no luck. FYI I flash the pcm with ign off and let it count down the 15 seconds before starting.

It appears the pcm is damaged from the flash. Does anyone have any suggestions before I throw this thing in the garbage and buy another.

Joel

oztracktuning
November 17th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Battery disconnect and see if that helps

It might not be the E38, maybe somewhere else in the system.

email Ross and see if he has any ideas.

hymey
November 17th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks Steve,

i will disconnect the battery and let it rest overnight and see what happens. Everything was fine until i flashed it so maybe could be elsewhere. I was going to buy another pcm for it they are $125US to see if its the problem. The abs module is not working and there is a mil on the dash for it.

oztracktuning
November 17th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I often see a persistent ABS and Traction Control fault which goes away after a bit of driving and key ons.

hymey
November 17th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I was talking to Paul(SS Enforcer) the other day and he said you have had some issues with the e38. I have updated to the new release efilive and it seams a lot better, with no warnings since just the speedo and abs continue not to work.. Once I have had the tacho not work, and also had the car not start. But this time I have driven about 1500km with no speedo:doh2: It hasnt come good. I have to test the signal from the g/box to pcm to see if its all good. Unsure how to do this vehicle stationary, i will have to unplug the speedo plug and check for voltage from the pcm. I doubt the sensor has failed. With these pcms being finicky at times I think the problem can be fixed without to much drama-just need some expert advice.

ringram
November 18th, 2008, 12:23 AM
FWIW I killed my car the other day dead.
HSV R8 pulled the fuse for PCM nada, nicht etc, basically didnt even turn over.
Ended up disconnecting the battery and all was well.
All I did was to upgrade the v2 of a mate using the car for power.
So like Steve says pull the power and see if its ok. You might also want to do a full reflash back to your last known good .tun file.

doubledip
November 18th, 2008, 05:27 PM
is the car a Auto or Manual ?

hymey
November 18th, 2008, 11:25 PM
is the car a Auto or Manual ?

Car is a manual

hymey
November 18th, 2008, 11:37 PM
FWIW I killed my car the other day dead.
HSV R8 pulled the fuse for PCM nada, nicht etc, basically didnt even turn over.
Ended up disconnecting the battery and all was well.
All I did was to upgrade the v2 of a mate using the car for power.
So like Steve says pull the power and see if its ok. You might also want to do a full reflash back to your last known good .tun file.

Had the same issue ringram. I had my car not start once so i disconnected and reconnected the battery all good.

Unfortunately this time it didnt help. I have

1.Full reflashed with stock tune

2. Full reflashed with another tune, same o/s.

3. Full reflashed current tune

4. Pulled PCM fuses, etc

5. Disconnected battery let sit for 12hours then reconnect.

Still no good. I am definately not getting anything from the e38. Will be testing the speed signal from sensor to pcm tomorrow if thats ok, I will change the pcm.

The last software version was the worst for warnings coming up on dash, car not starting, and navigation not working. The new software has fixed it but the damage is permanent on the speedo. So its a new pcm if that dont fix it its back to Holden:angel_innocent:

hymey
December 7th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Problem fixed. A simple one overlooked. Was a blown fuse. HVLP wash(whatever that means)

Initially I went through all three fuse boxes. I checked the corresponding fuses related to the problem including abs fuses. I could not locate a blown fuse, and one that controlled only speedo in the pcm didn't seem right.

After going through the process of finding the issue and having similiar problems before listed above.

I was just about to pull the pcm and send it away when a mate popped over and said that his aircon had stopped working in his VZ after we flashed it the day before, Turns out it was a fuse irrelevent to the a/c( the a/c fuse was fine) so we went rank going through the fuses and found a 10 amp fuse that had been installed where a 30 amp was meant to be by holden. And it just so happens this fuse blown straight after the flash. It had HVLP WASH on it have not checked in the manual what it stands for then but sounds unrelated to the speedo.

cheers

joecar
December 7th, 2008, 09:24 AM
hymey, good find mate... post the diagram when you get a chance to see it.

I'm wondering why a 10A fuse was installed (did it come from Holden that way even tho the socket for it is marked 30A...?).

hymey
December 7th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Hey Joe,

Went through my owners manual and the fuse does not appear on the diagram, But it appears on the diagram of the fuse box lid. It does infact require a green 30 amp fuse and not a red 10amp like it had installed from factory. I am guessing it blown after the flash from a power minor surge or something, to much for the 10amp fuse. Something so little creates frustration but I am glad the e38 is OK, Turns out its been flashed a lot and haven't killed this one yet. I will take a pic of the lid and post it here later.

cheers

Joel

shane
December 7th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Starting to think there may be a pom in holdens wiring design team,Had a adventra cross8 the other week, no level ride, got a wiring diagram from holden after much grovelling(they wont share) the damn thing is wired to the interior light!!!! What the? Also thenks for the maloo tune hymey it was the wrong os (2007 vs 2008) but i only wanted to check a torque managment number. Maybe we need to start a wiring diagram archive???
Least you got it sorted.
Shane

gmh308
December 10th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Starting to think there may be a pom in holdens wiring design team,Had a adventra cross8 the other week, no level ride, got a wiring diagram from holden after much grovelling(they wont share) the damn thing is wired to the interior light!!!! What the? Also thenks for the maloo tune hymey it was the wrong os (2007 vs 2008) but i only wanted to check a torque managment number. Maybe we need to start a wiring diagram archive???
Least you got it sorted.
Shane

Holden and GM diagrams/manuals/parts lists/diags have many, many errors. :frown: