PDA

View Full Version : Just got V2.

Nemo
November 20th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I just got my V2 and im a little scared and taking my time, I have been playing around with my stock tune and changed it up quit a bitover about a time of 15 hours or so, once I am done with it i might try it out in my truck. but that will only be if im 100% sure it wont blow my truck up. ;)

any advice you guys have to a new user please post up.

-Nemo

joecar
November 21st, 2008, 03:11 AM
Hi Nemo,

First take some logs of various pids and get comfortable with how they should look, this may help you later if something doesn't look right.

Also, first (before doing anything else), read/save your original stock factory tune to file and save duplicates on various media (CD, USB fob, ...).

ScarabEpic22
November 21st, 2008, 01:12 PM
Definitely save your stock tune in like 3+ different places just in case something happens to your PC. And dont go making a ton of changes right off the bat, start small and log the changes. Then go back and repeat until you have that parameter where you want then move on to something else. Dont do large steps even though we all want to, you're just asking to mess something up.

joecar
November 21st, 2008, 02:21 PM
After editing the tune file, I compare it to the previous and/or original just to sanity check myself.

Nemo
November 26th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Ok guys, thank you for the advise...

I tryied to load my first tune, went in fine... I did a scan on the tune installed and it was very bad for this elevation(6,000ft) which im use to Phoenix(2,000ft)... So I started returning my truck to stock and it rejected the bootloader half way through...

Truck would not start. After a couple of days with e-mails with Paul, Michael, and Mike with no luck of getting the truck started. I finally had my brother tow me to GM and the dealer reflashed my truck, which took 8 attempts for them before it went in...

I am now scared sh*tless to try and load another tune. :help2:

-Nemo

8100 Power
November 27th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Ok guys, thank you for the advise...

I tryied to load my first tune, went in fine... I did a scan on the tune installed and it was very bad for this elevation(6,000ft) which im use to Phoenix(2,000ft)... So I started returning my truck to stock and it rejected the bootloader half way through...

Truck would not start. After a couple of days with e-mails with Paul, Michael, and Mike with no luck of getting the truck started. I finally had my brother tow me to GM and the dealer reflashed my truck, which took 8 attempts for them before it went in...

I am now scared sh*tless to try and load another tune. :help2:

-Nemo

You need to make sure your firmware and software version is up to date. That would probably have alot to do with it.

Nemo
November 27th, 2008, 09:33 AM
You need to make sure your firmware and software version is up to date. That would probably have alot to do with it.

It is the newest software to date... Paul@efilive and I went over that. ;)

-Nemo

GMPX
November 27th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I think Paul went over this with you, but did you make sure any aftermarket stereo equipment was not connected? Often people will put in iPod adaptors, XM radio adaptors, DVD players that also get wired in to the communications bus on the vehicle.
If you have anything like please make sure you disconnect it before starting to program, many of these aftermarket devices do not 'behave' when trying to program the ECM (or TCM).
It sounds like GM also had a lot of issues trying to program the ECM too, which indicates to me there is something on your truck causing some interferance problems.
Your experiences so far are certainly not normal, hopefully we can figure out what on the truck is causing the problems.

Cheers,
Ross

joecar
November 27th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Also, before flashing:
- make sure vehicle battery is fully charged,
- power your laptop from non-vehicle source,
- close doors, make sure dome lights are off,
- turn off all accessories, headlight/parking lights, rear defogger, AC, stereo,
- if applicable, engage parking brake to turn off daytime running lights.

Nemo
November 27th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Everything was off, doors were closed, all stereo was off(Subs,tvs, deck, dvd players, and PS2), radar detecter, dome lights, head/tail lights, were all off. I had nothing in the truck on besides the dash lights(which were turned down)... I also had charged the batteries on the truck so they would stay fully charged.

I dont know anything else that could cause the problem. Paul mentioned that I attempt to unplug the BCM fuse also before trying again... I will most likly try again on monday when the dealership is open, ill do it right outside their shop just in case...:)

-Nemo

killerbee
November 27th, 2008, 01:35 PM
...Your experiences so far are certainly not normal, hopefully we can figure out what on the truck is causing the problems.

Cheers,
Ross

Also, before flashing:
- make sure vehicle battery is fully charged,
- power your laptop from non-vehicle source,
- close doors, make sure dome lights are off,
- turn off all accessories, headlight/parking lights, rear defogger, AC, stereo,
- if applicable, engage parking brake to turn off daytime running lights.

What was particularly strange on this install, was he succesfully flashed the truck. When his log turned up jiberish, and then parked it, that is when all the fun began.
We went over the importance of all the above mentioned items, spent many hours bringing all software and firmware to date.

Battery voltage probably is underappreciated. I have eased (full) flashing problems just by having a battery charger hooked up.

I had suggested that Nemo reattempt the flash while still at the dealer, but he was understandably gunshy after 3 days without a vehicle.

Paul did mention that the BCM fuse may play a big part.

Nemo
November 27th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Couldnt put it any better... and I greatly appreciate the many hours you put in trying to help me get it running...

-Nemo

killerbee
November 27th, 2008, 02:53 PM
I would humbly suggest that you read the (new) stock flash on the truck now, save it, and when you flash, use that first. This takes as many variables out of the process as possible.

joecar
November 27th, 2008, 03:11 PM
On some vehicles, remove the fuses for BCM and On-Star.

Nemo
November 27th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I dont have onstar. :( but i normally will unplug everything.

-Nemo

IdahoRob
December 2nd, 2008, 03:45 PM
What blows me away, is the only problems I seem to encounter is with LLY's. This has driven me nuts throughout the years, as there seems to be no rhime or reason for the boot blocker errors that occur. I've tried to flash a dozen times on a truck only to have the thirteenth go through. Same thing with a techII, the LLY's seem to have a random bug.

killerbee
December 2nd, 2008, 04:13 PM
Have you updated the firmware?

I had to say it. :grin:

IdahoRob
December 2nd, 2008, 04:15 PM

I think maybe I need to update the firmware in my head, but I've yet to find a place to do it!:fluffy:

Blacky
December 2nd, 2008, 05:02 PM
What blows me away, is the only problems I seem to encounter is with LLY's. This has driven me nuts throughout the years, as there seems to be no rhime or reason for the boot blocker errors that occur. I've tried to flash a dozen times on a truck only to have the thirteenth go through. Same thing with a techII, the LLY's seem to have a random bug.

Based on some of the logs I saw from NEMO, the BCM is sending data onto the bus that really has no place being there. The BCM is sending out responses to a "phantom" scan tool. i.e. it is replying to messages from a "scan tool" or some module masquerading as a scan tool which is not FlashScan, during the full flash.

If there is some module on the LLY bus that is "pretending" to be a scan tool in order to get PID data from the ECM then that would cause a big problem during a read or reflash.

Or it could be a bug in the BCM that just spontaneously emits replies to a "scan tool" that the BCM thinks is connected when no scan tool is actually connected.

Regards
Paul

jermstyle
December 3rd, 2008, 07:27 AM
I had a similar problem with my lly when I first used efilive. Before I got efilive I was using a PPE programmer and the instructions for the PPE device had me remove several fuses from the main box before flashing the computer. I did this for efilive and it worked just fine.

GMPX
December 3rd, 2008, 09:44 AM
Normally with a stock (as in electronics) LLY there should be no need to pull any fuses then lift your left leg and cross your fingers before you reflash.
We spent a fair amount of time on LLY's getting this right, I did not want people to be needing to pull fuses to get them to flash.
From what we hear things for the most part go smoothly on the LLY, the stubborn trucks also seem to exhibit the same programming issues with handhelds & TechII, it is almost like there is a build of trucks with a made in China BCM fitted!

Cheers,
Ross

Nemo
December 3rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
Normally with a stock (as in electronics) LLY there should be no need to pull any fuses then lift your left leg and cross your fingers before you reflash.
We spent a fair amount of time on LLY's getting this right, I did not want people to be needing to pull fuses to get them to flash.
From what we hear things for the most part go smoothly on the LLY, the stubborn trucks also seem to exhibit the same programming issues with handhelds & TechII, it is almost like there is a build of trucks with a made in China BCM fitted!

Cheers,
Ross

I am making a tune right now but I will try to flash my truck again once this is completed... I will let you guys know how it goes...

-Nemo

Nemo
December 3rd, 2008, 12:42 PM

Everything was updated in the process to find the problem...

Based on some of the logs I saw from NEMO, the BCM is sending data onto the bus that really has no place being there. The BCM is sending out responses to a "phantom" scan tool. i.e. it is replying to messages from a "scan tool" or some module masquerading as a scan tool which is not FlashScan, during the full flash.

If there is some module on the LLY bus that is "pretending" to be a scan tool in order to get PID data from the ECM then that would cause a big problem during a read or reflash.

Or it could be a bug in the BCM that just spontaneously emits replies to a "scan tool" that the BCM thinks is connected when no scan tool is actually connected.

Regards
Paul

I will unplug the fuse to the BCM before my next attempt...

I had a similar problem with my lly when I first used efilive. Before I got efilive I was using a PPE programmer and the instructions for the PPE device had me remove several fuses from the main box before flashing the computer. I did this for efilive and it worked just fine.

On my PPE I had to unplug just the stereo fuse due to the fact of the aftermarket system...

-Nemo

Nemo
December 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I went to the dealership today and they let me pull my truck in just in case it rejected again...

I started unloading my stock tune, bootloader was rejected. I tryied a second time and it came out flawlessly.

I than started loading my tune and it went in with no problem...

Even though this time worked easy, I am still scared to change the tune... I also need a fuel pump but it will be here very soon...

-Nemo

Nemo
January 16th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Tryied to "swap"my race tune out for a Econ tune and it rejected it again, had to get the dealership to reflash it again... I might switch back to my PPE programmer because I cant just keep paying them to re-flash my truck... :(

-Nemo

killerbee
January 16th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Hopefully Paul or Ross will be able to get to the botom of it.

nevinsb
January 16th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Does it still fail with the "Use High Speed" box unchecked?

Nemo
January 16th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Unchecked, checked, BCM fuse, radio fuses unpluged, lights off, it all does the same, I keep trying differant things and ive spent MORE money having the dealership reflash my truck than i paid for my V2... :shock:

-Nemo

GMPX
January 18th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Do you have access to another truck? It would be a good test to see if you can read the ECM from another truck, this won't burn a license and will prove if the problem lies with your truck or the V2/PC setup.

Cheers,
Ross

Nemo
January 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Do you have access to another truck? It would be a good test to see if you can read the ECM from another truck, this won't burn a license and will prove if the problem lies with your truck or the V2/PC setup.

Cheers,
Ross

I might have access to a LBZ if my buddy will let me try... other than him I dont know any other D-max's besides KillerBee...

-Nemo

killerbee
January 18th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Come on by.

Nemo
January 18th, 2009, 02:00 PM
When you want me to drop by?

BTW: I really appreciate it.

-Nemo

killerbee
January 18th, 2009, 03:22 PM
anytime this week will be fine. Except Monday.

Nemo
January 18th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Before you turn someone elses ECM into a brick I would try the following to isolate.
Get with one of us here in the valley that has EFILive. Since the problem happens even on a read, you can try the following.
1. Try and read your ECM with their V2 and laptop (takes both your laptop and V2 out of the equation. If it's still a problem, then that points to your ECM.
2. Try and read with your Laptop and their V2. That takes only your V2 out.
3. Try and read with their laptop and your V2. Takes out your laptop.
One of those three should isolate the problem without risking anyone elses ECM.

I'll do it if you are gonna be out in East Mesa.

This is from dmaxcentral... might not be a bad idea...

-Nemo

GMPX
January 18th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I might have access to a LBZ if my buddy will let me try... other than him I dont know any other D-max's besides KillerBee...

-Nemo
LBZ is no good as it uses the less problematic CAN bus, not like your truck.

Nemo
January 18th, 2009, 06:04 PM
LBZ is no good as it uses the less problematic CAN bus, not like your truck.

There is a Dyno day this Saterday, there will be quite a few people there, I will play around with it there... ;)

-Nemo

killerbee
January 25th, 2009, 12:51 AM
how did it go Nemo?

Nemo
January 25th, 2009, 12:23 PM
After you put that one in I have not changed...its pretty fast, trans holds and im getting about 21-23 mpg... I will attempt to tune it myself on Friday night if my Fuel pump gets here in time...

So basically we unhooked the stereo fuse, the aftermarket amp, and the problem is my Volts drop when the tune starts going in, so I will be changing my batteries soon. If that does not fix it I will move to a bigger alternator.

If im missing anything Killerbee please correct me...

-Nemo

MMLMM
January 26th, 2009, 03:25 PM
What is your voltage during a tune install? Load test your batts before buying a new alt.

killerbee
January 26th, 2009, 04:16 PM
we didn't take a reading on the bus, but his gauge was unusually low. After pulling his aftermarket amp fuse and throwing a battery pack on it, it flashed fine. That all happened after several failures, so my conclusion was voltage. We got lucky.

MMLMM
January 26th, 2009, 04:28 PM
we didn't take a reading on the bus, but his gauge was unusually low. After pulling his aftermarket amp fuse and throwing a battery pack on it, it flashed fine. That all happened after several failures, so my conclusion was voltage. We got lucky.

I am thinking that too. I was flashing an LB7 and ran into errors, then had him start it and when he did the truck started like the batteries were somewhat low, after a quick charge, shut off and flash it went perfect. He is in need of batteries, there still the stock ones from 03 and lives in Las Vegas, lol.

Nemo may be in same situation. He should go load test batteries.

Nemo
January 30th, 2009, 09:25 PM
hondarider is selling me his battery pack, because he brought it to the track tonight and we flashed my truck 4 times without any issues at all... :)

-Nemo