PDA

View Full Version : LBZ Programming History?

RayMich
November 30th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I know that the LMM ECM keeps a history of the last 10 times it was programmed, but I don't think the LBZ ECM has a history capability.

The attached GM document contains instructions for Confirming Calibration Verification Number (CVN) on 2005-2007 LLY & LBZ. I think this would work only if a non-stock cal is still in the ECM when checked. Am I right in my thinking?

If one were to program an LBZ either with EFILive or a handheld programmer and then re-flash it back to stock using the same tool, will there be any trace indicating that the ECM had been previously flashed with non-stock calibrations?

Thanks.

LBZ
December 15th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Seems LLY were also in on this.

RayMich
December 15th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Yes, but I can't tell from this document if they are talking about detecting an existing non-factory calibration, or can they tell on the LBZ even if it has been put back to stock.

GMPX
December 15th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Only the LLM keeps track of history, the others do not.

LBZ
December 15th, 2008, 04:55 PM

Has anyone tried using this procedure posted above with a Tech 2 to confirm this?

RayMich
December 16th, 2008, 08:17 AM
OK, so I take it from your response that if you were to program an LBZ or LLY with a tow/economy tune and then re-program it back to stock, there won't be any traces left that it had been programmed before?

GMPX
December 16th, 2008, 01:29 PM
In the latest software I have in my TechII (updated Nov 2008) there is no option to check programming history for the LBZ (or earlier).

LBZ
December 16th, 2008, 04:52 PM
So WTF are they talking about in that bulletin?
Is GM smoking street distributed drugs?

RayMich
December 17th, 2008, 08:43 AM
So WTF are they talking about in that bulletin?
Is GM smoking street distributed drugs?
I believe they are talking about detecting the current cals on an LLY and LBZ.

So, if you haven't re-flashed back to stock with a legal CVN before you take it in, you are screwed...

GTPprix
December 17th, 2008, 03:57 PM

So, if you haven't re-flashed back to stock with a legal CVN before you take it in, you are screwed...

Thats not enough, they hold records of the last I believe 8-10 flashes now, a second ECM is the way to go.

LBZ
December 17th, 2008, 05:19 PM
In the latest software I have in my TechII (updated Nov 2008) there is no option to check programming history for the LBZ (or earlier).

Thats not enough, they hold records of the last I believe 8-10 flashes now, a second ECM is the way to go.

Here we go again.

I wish someone could figure this sht out once and for all!! This is the second or third time I have heard this go around.
:doh2::help2:

RayMich
December 18th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Everything I've read about the Duramax diesel says that the 2007-2009 LMM's ECM is the only one that keeps a record of the last 10 flashes. I have not seen anything saying that the 2001-2004 LB7, 2004.5-2005 LLY, 2006 LLY or 2006-2007 LBZ keep any trace data of previous flashes.

However, I have read a first-hand account where a dealer in Canada voided someone's warranty because they claimed that the CVN's in the LLY ECM in his Medium Duty truck did NOT match what GM said it should be, and he claims that he had re-flashed his truck back to stock using EFILive.

So, if anyone can provide actual proof that GM in fact CAN see that an LBZ ECM had been previously flashed even though it has been put back to stock, I and many others sure would want to know how they were able to determine that.

GTPprix
December 18th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I was talking about the 2007.5+ units, sorry! :)

RayMich
December 18th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I was talking about the 2007.5+ units, sorry! :)
No problem.

I do appreciate your interest on this, though.

GMPX
December 18th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Here we go again.

I wish someone could figure this sht out once and for all!! This is the second or third time I have heard this go around.
:doh2::help2:
I've have 'given up' trying to explain it, seems the answer I give is not the one people want to hear therefore won't be accepted.

Cheers,
Ross

Cougar281
December 18th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I've have 'given up' trying to explain it, seems the answer I give is not the one people want to hear therefore won't be accepted.

Cheers,
Ross

I think you need a bold announcement/sticky:

IF YOU HAVE A LB7, LLY or LBZ, YOU DO NOT HAVE PROGRAMMING HISTORY!!!
:doh2:

LBZ
December 18th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I think you need a bold announcement/sticky:

IF YOU HAVE A LB7, LLY or LBZ, YOU DO NOT HAVE PROGRAMMING HISTORY!!!
:doh2:
:hihi:
If this is true-works for me!!