PDA

View Full Version : E38's Being Locked by GM?

Chalky
December 9th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Browsing on a Corvette forum and it is being reported that GM is locking E38s. Supposedly, ecms are getting software upgrades when in for service. Also claims Tech2 will no longer read ecm after upgrade.

Anyone confirm this?

GAMEOVER
December 9th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Wow that sucks if it's true....

GTPprix
December 9th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Not true, got a link to this thread?

Chalky
December 9th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Not true, got a link to this thread?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-scan-and-tune/2200707-those-with-tunes-read-gm-locks-ecu.html

Check out 3rd post. another link to Diablo site.

GTPprix
December 9th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Nope just checked, if anything the security algo changed just like it normally does every year. I put ZERO faith in anything Diablo says, they have been promising T42 support for YEARS now LOL

Chalky
December 9th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks for clearing that up.

GTPprix
December 9th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Well I did get a call about someone having this issue, my guess is one of two things.

1. They decided to change the security algo, highly unlikely because then they cant even flash over them LOL
2. There is an error in the TIS file itself, I've seen this happen. I'm about to play with this on the bench right now.

GTPprix
December 9th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I wasnt able to replicate the issue using the same hardware # and the same calibration on the bench so we'll see later this week if we can pinpoint whats going on. So far its far from a big deal, stock computers are locked anyhow LOL :)

Redline Motorsports
December 9th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Chris,

Thanks for getting me those PCM's.

This issue sounds like crap! Keep us posted on what you find!

Howard

GTPprix
December 9th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Anytime! Thanks for your patience everyone hit me at once then I got sick and well no more excuses it just sucked :)

GMPX
December 9th, 2008, 10:12 AM
It appears to be a bug in TIS, it's the exact same issue as listed in this thread -
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=9528

The Seed/Key algo isn't changing, the ECM is getting corrupted.
Of course with EFILive you can unlock the ECM once this has happened, but all the VIN etc gets messed up. It's not real good, there is no way GM has done this on purpose as it locks them out from further programming. Maybe we can see every dealer a copy of EFILive to fix it :pokey:

Cheers,
Ross

GTPprix
December 9th, 2008, 10:14 AM
It appears to be a bug in TIS, it's the exact same issue as listed in this thread -
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=9528

The Seed/Key algo isn't changing, the ECM is getting corrupted.

Cheers,
Ross

Kinda what I was thinking but about now I wouldnt put anything past GM :) I've got one that has this issue on the way here I should be able to re-green it hopefully. I've never tested it on the new part # only on the 7121.

GMPX
December 9th, 2008, 10:16 AM
A similar thing happens on the early LB7 Duramax with TechII, it's done it for years and still does.

GTPprix
December 9th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Lovely LOL I've never had an issue with anything bench as long as I'm NOT using the Tech 2 hrmmm ;)

N0DIH
December 9th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Maybe they they will just buy you out to do it! Oh, never mind, they are broke!

Make a deal with them, they give you unrestricted access to all info and you give it to them for a "discount"....

.... Maybe we can see every dealer a copy of EFILive to fix it :pokey:

Cheers,
Ross

GMPX
December 9th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Make a deal with them, they give you unrestricted access to all info and you give it to them for a "discount"....
Last I heard all the programming R&D is done in India now :ranting:

N0DIH
December 9th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Hmm, outsourced?

Last I heard all the programming R&D is done in India now :ranting:

GMPX
December 9th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Google search on terms using - 'Bangalore' 'Delphi' 'E38'

Cheers,
Ross

Chuck CoW
December 9th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I got bit by the bug today!:ranting:

I used TIS to flash a new 09 vintage E38 and it locked itself the F up! Can't talk to it.

Took another newbie out of the box (same part#) and EFI LIVED it...FULL FLASH STYLE....AND THE CAR IS RUNNING FINE!

Like I said earlier.... I NEVER Had an E38 go BYE BYE with EFI LIVE.

TIS on the other hand....:wavetowel2:....I'm throwin in the towel!

Chuck CoW

GMPX
December 9th, 2008, 05:03 PM
But this is the problem Chuck, guys like you need TIS to get the stock files in the ECM for some cars, how else can you do it? Don't throw TIS too far yet!
I think they will fix it soon, there was a new OS just released for the 2009 CTS-V as an update, there will be a few of these getting burned soon so something will be done.

Cheers,
Ross

Redline Motorsports
December 9th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I got bit by the bug today!:ranting:

I used TIS to flash a new 09 vintage E38 and it locked itself the F up! Can't talk to it.

Took another newbie out of the box (same part#) and EFI LIVED it...FULL FLASH STYLE....AND THE CAR IS RUNNING FINE!

Like I said earlier.... I NEVER Had an E38 go BYE BYE with EFI LIVE.

TIS on the other hand....:wavetowel2:....I'm throwin in the towel!

Chuck CoW

What where you flashing a 09 for Chuck?

HT

Chuck CoW
December 9th, 2008, 05:08 PM
But this is the problem Chuck, guys like you need TIS to get the stock files in the ECM for some cars, how else can you do it? Don't throw TIS too far yet!
I think they will fix it soon, there was a new OS just released for the 2009 CTS-V as an update, there will be a few of these getting burned soon so something will be done.

Cheers,
Ross

Yuck... I just ordered a whole bunch of new E38s from the dealer....I've got an XLRV to do shortly.... hopefully I don't get burned.

I'm buyin a few E67s now too so I don't get too burnt.

Chuck CoW

wait4me
December 10th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Hi guys you can send your locked/ corrupted ones to me. Ill fix them for $50 shipped. You can tell the others on forums.

GTPprix
December 11th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Ok I got an ECM here that has the corrupt seed/key area. Wierd thing is I can flash the EXACT same thing on the bench with the same hardware without it locking.

Is EVERYONE thats had this issue so far using a Mongoose? I dont have one to test with so I'm curious or at least trying to draw a correlary.

wait4me
December 11th, 2008, 11:47 AM
it happens just the same with a tech2. The mongoose does kill any vpw computer though with thier latest drivers/bootloader as of march if you are using it on a vista machine.

GTPprix
December 11th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Hrmm maybe I'll try the Tech 2, so far MDI, Gryphon and SCAT-2 all load fine with the same hardware and cal :\

GMPX
December 11th, 2008, 04:46 PM
I haven't tried the good old TechII, I just use the Mongoose when necessary.
Might need to check that.
BTW, I don't know if this happens on the DVD based system, I only have TIS2WEB access as would just about everyone else.

Cheers,
Ross

dc_justin
December 11th, 2008, 05:28 PM
it happens just the same with a tech2. The mongoose does kill any vpw computer though with thier latest drivers/bootloader as of march if you are using it on a vista machine.

I haven't had that problem, just the 99-00 Gen-III PCMs. Can flash any other controller with mongoose without any problems, but those always kill them.

Chuck CoW
December 16th, 2008, 09:21 AM

I just used my mongoose this weekend to flash an LS1 computer.

I didn't have any problems at all....(surprised!) But, my laptops (formerly VISTA) are now XP.

I guess there's no problem with XP MACHINES?

Chuck

Chuck CoW
December 16th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Hi guys you can send your locked/ corrupted ones to me. Ill fix them for $50 shipped. You can tell the others on forums.

Ya don't say? So, How long do you keep these computers for such a service???:angel_innocent:

Chuck CoW

mr.prick
December 16th, 2008, 12:20 PM
can someone tell me the what this mongoose thing is/does?
what software does it use, where to buy or a link to.

dc_justin
December 16th, 2008, 01:41 PM
can someone tell me the what this mongoose thing is/does?
what software does it use, where to buy or a link to.

Mongoose cable is a J2354 Pass-Thru scan/programming cable sold by Drew Technologies (http://www.drewtech.com/products/Mongoose/mongoosesci.html).

Works with a GM SPS subscription for flashing stock GM calibrations. Can data-log with it too, but when you have EFILive... why bother?

mr.prick
December 16th, 2008, 01:42 PM
stock tunes only and it`s pricey.
POS