PDA

View Full Version : EFILive on Linux

Chevy366
December 13th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I got around to installing EFILive through Codeweaver's program , EFILive looks awesome running on Linux very fast , only problem is it does not find the USB drivers .
Will try auto-update as well and see if it works .
One step closer to a no Windows computer ! :hihi:

SS2win
December 13th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Heh! wouldn't that be nice!! well keep us posted on your progress.

mxracer
December 13th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Have you tried qemu?

I haven't installed EFILive under it yet, but I have a multi effects pedal for guitar that is winblows only as well and is usb and was able to get it working.

It might be the same with codweavers but with qemu it's all about figuring out what startup switches you need to mount devices correctly.

If I get some time I'll play with EFILive as well on linux.

What distro are you running?

Chevy366
December 14th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Have you tried qemu?

I haven't installed EFILive under it yet, but I have a multi effects pedal for guitar that is winblows only as well and is usb and was able to get it working.

It might be the same with codweavers but with qemu it's all about figuring out what startup switches you need to mount devices correctly.

If I get some time I'll play with EFILive as well on linux.

What distro are you running?
SuSE 11.0 , with KDE 4 .
Hmmm , will Google gemu , if I knew where EFILIve looked for the USB drivers , I think it is the "driver" folder in EFILive but that contains the USB driver already so for some reason it is not seeing it , have not had time to play with it but when I can waste a day on it I will try and get it working .
Codeweavers uses WINE still and I am not a big fan of WINE , if we could get the Coder to write a Linux version for us , hint , hint .

SS2win
December 14th, 2008, 07:27 AM
I don't know if this is all you need but my windows xp reports the following for the V2 driver.

c:\windows\system32\drivers\ftdibus.sys
c:\windows\system32\ftbusui.dll
c:\windows\system32\ftd2x.dll

mxracer
December 14th, 2008, 10:00 AM
On second thought qemu might not be what you are wanting to do.

It is an emulator and what you end up with is windows running inside of linux.

I'll still play some with it to see what I can come up with, but if you are looking for a 100% non windows solution qemu is not it.

Sorry if I confused things :angel_innocent:

swingtan
December 14th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Hi guys,
I had EFILive TuneTool and ScanTool working under Linux some time back. I used Wine to both install the application and run the tools. As has been mentioned, the USB drivers will not work under Linux, because the USB architecture is handled differently under Linux. There is no way that a Windows emulator can pick up and use the Windows USB drivers and make them work. Instead, the options are to rewrite the USB drivers so they work under Linux, or there are some commercial applications that dynamically port some USB drivers to work under Linux.

The best option of course is to get the drivers rewritten for Linux, and we'd be pretty happy. Rewriting The whole of EFILive for Linux would make us ecstatic... but I can't see that happening any time soon. Actually, I can't see the USB drivers happening either given the workloads we are hearing about. If we were to get V2 BBL support for reading and writing tunes though, it would be a great work around. Edit in Linux and transfer the tune to the V2 for flashing.

Simon

GMPX
December 14th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Guys, what's wrong with Vista? :throw:
It's trying to emulate being a real OS too!

GTPprix
December 14th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Bwahahahahahahhahahahahahah

Chevy366
December 14th, 2008, 01:20 PM
It's trying to emulate being a real OS too!
I am waiting for Windows 7 . ROFL

Chevy366
December 14th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Hi guys,
I had EFILive TuneTool and ScanTool working under Linux some time back. I used Wine to both install the application and run the tools. As has been mentioned, the USB drivers will not work under Linux, because the USB architecture is handled differently under Linux. There is no way that a Windows emulator can pick up and use the Windows USB drivers and make them work. Instead, the options are to rewrite the USB drivers so they work under Linux, or there are some commercial applications that dynamically port some USB drivers to work under Linux.

The best option of course is to get the drivers rewritten for Linux, and we'd be pretty happy. Rewriting The whole of EFILive for Linux would make us ecstatic... but I can't see that happening any time soon. Actually, I can't see the USB drivers happening either given the workloads we are hearing about. If we were to get V2 BBL support for reading and writing tunes though, it would be a great work around. Edit in Linux and transfer the tune to the V2 for flashing.

Simon

Yeah , did not realize that the USB would be the show stopper here .
I did plug the V2 in a USB port and of course the emulated EFILive did not see the V2 .
I will do "dmesg" and see what it shows , maybe with vendor and product ID you can "modprobe" the device to get it to work , don't know will try and see .
Last time I did a "dmesg" probe I think the V2 came up as a standard scanner device , maybe someone can figure it out .

Chevy366
December 14th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Here is 'dmesg' and what it found :
usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=e4a1
usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-3: Product: EFILive FlashScan V2
usb 1-3: Manufacturer: EFILive
usb 1-3: SerialNumber: FSV2
SO , maybe some hope .
Did "modprobe" but still nothing yet .
FTDI the USB device in EFILIve has Linux drivers so no need to rewrite drivers , just the way EFILive looks for them or where it looks for them .
So EFILive looks for Windows Device Manger to see the V2 and then install the USB drivers for the Device , don't see why WINE would have a problem with that .

ScarabEpic22
December 14th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Im interested in this, Ill probably never run Linux full time but I will never say never.

And in Vista's defense, it is actually pretty solid if you use x64 and have a machine powerful enough to run its hogging personality. But I started using it in Sept 07 after 9 months of it being out so Im sure Micro$oft got some things "fixed" by then. SP1's supposed to be better, Ill be able to tell once I get a new laptop after mine got fried.

But, Ive been doing a little looking into Windows 7 and Im liking what I see. Take Vista, and polish all the crap out of it is basically what Im seeing plus a few more features/reorganized things. Think public beta starts here soon, have to get in on that...

swingtan
December 14th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Here is 'dmesg' and what it found :
usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=e4a1
usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-3: Product: EFILive FlashScan V2
usb 1-3: Manufacturer: EFILive
usb 1-3: SerialNumber: FSV2
SO , maybe some hope .
Did "modprobe" but still nothing yet .
FTDI the USB device in EFILIve has Linux drivers so no need to rewrite drivers , just the way EFILive looks for them or where it looks for them .
So EFILive looks for Windows Device Manger to see the V2 and then install the USB drivers for the Device , don't see why WINE would have a problem with that .

Wine simply provides an environment that appear to be windows to the application. Unfortunately it can't present Linux hardware to the application as a device, it simply acts as a go-between. SO unless the driver exists under Linux, Wine can't present it to an application. Actually, the only real success in this is the Linux Ndis wrapper, which allows Windows based wireless network drivers to be run under Linux. Going from memory, Windows does not have a unified USB subsystem. MS decided to leave that totally up to the vendor of the USB device to do all the work for interfacing to the USB drivers. This has resulted in nearly every device needing it's own USB driver to work properly.

Linux on the other hand has "libusb" which is a unified driver that allows vendors to simply plug into it. The funny part is, that there is a "libusb" driver available for Windows, so if a device is developed under Linux, it's very easy to get it working under Windows with this library. I use it to connect to my CVS cam-corders and Dakota digital cameras. It works very well. Going back the other way can be done but unless the EFILive developers get involved, the only way will be to reverse engineer the USB protocol. It can be done, but it's not for the feint hearted.

Simon

mxracer
December 15th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Hi guys,

Simon

Almost agree :grin:

I agree that Wine prolly won't pickup and load the drivers as it is not a true windows emulator it is simply a linux port or the win32 architecture.

On the other hand a true emulator like qemu runs windows in a virtual machine. In this case the host OS, in this case linux, is (in laymans terms) simply mapping the linux usb info to the emulator and windows inside the emulator is actually loading the native windows dlls.

Since there seems to be an interest in this no matter if it's with Wine or an emulator I'll see if I can't get it going.

Chevy366
December 15th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Google uses a Windows based Earth program running in WINE for Linux , Games run in WINE and access USB Mouses (Mice) and Keyboards .
I think it is more a program uses Explorer and Device Manager to see and set drivers for the program not the USB driver itself .
The FTDI drivers are in EFILive "driver" folder and if you DL them from the DL section of EFILive site they are not .exe just a folder containing the files .

Chevy366
December 15th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Found this : http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/USBtoSerial
And this :http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/?ticket_id=713842;list=13;ticket_level=3
Although it is for another device might give a clue as to how to progress .
Looked at Qemu and VMWare would be my choice over it , then again Zen in SuSE is free and does the same thing , but you are running full install of Winders .

mxracer
December 15th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Well it works under qemu. Again I don't know if this is what is desired but this is one way you can run EFILive under linux. Below is a short step by step on how to set it all up. When I say short I mean I am not covering installing quemu, kqemu or thier configuration. The step by step is more to get the V2 working under qemu running windows xp. I'll be happy to try and help where I can but you are going to have to read and play with qemu to get it installed and running on your machine.

I did this setup on my desktop machine between "real" work tasks so I have not flashed with it, but as you will see form the screen shots EFILive is installed and it sees and communicates with the FSV2 hardware on my Suse 10.0 machine using qemu to run Windows XP.

Read qemu and kqemu manual. http://www.bellard.org/qemu/qemu-doc.html#SEC21

Install qemu http://www.bellard.org/qemu/download.html

Install kqemu excelerator. Same page as above.

Configure qemu and kqemu for your system.

Once you have qemu setup the follwing command line should get you going. Put the XP CD into the host computer's drive, open up a terminal, switch to root (or run via sudo).

qemu -hda xp.img -cdrom /dev/cdrom -usb -m 512 -soundhw all -localtime -kernel-kqemu

A word of warning here, if you don't load kqemu it will be SSSSLLLLOOOWWW:shock:

Unless you change some permissions you need to launch this as root (sudo or swtich to su in terminal) or kqemu won't load.

Note that I named my virtual drive xp.img, you may name it whatever you like and then would change -hda xp.img to -hda <your virt>.img also depending on your memory on the host machine you can change the memory option to whatever you like.

You should see the XP install start. Install it just like you would any other machine, then do updates etc.

Download EFILive via internet explorer inside the virtual XP machine.

Download the xp drivers via internet explorer inside the virtual xp machine.

Plug in the V2, hit ctrl+alt+2 and you will be at the qemu command prompt, type usb_add host:0403:e4a1 then hit enter. Note that you won't see anything happen until you do the next step.

http://www.sogracing.com/efilive/usbadd2.png

hit ctrl+alt+1 and you will now see that windows sees the V2.

http://www.sogracing.com/efilive/EFIFound2.png

unzip the drivers somwhere on the xp virtual machine and point the new hardware wizard to that location

xp will now install the divers and let yo know it sees the V2 hardware

http://www.sogracing.com/efilive/v2installed2.png

Install EFILive, and update to the latest version.

From there use EFILive

http://www.sogracing.com/efilive/efiliveworking2.png

Once it's all setup and running if you want you can change the command line to start qemu to what is below and it will automatically pass thru the V2 to windows as it starts. You will have to connect the V2 to the host machine before you start qemu for this to work. Otherwise it will show an error loading the V2 and you will have to add it via usb_add as above after booting windows in qemu.

qemu -hda xp.img -cdrom /dev/cdrom -usb -usbdevice host:0403:e4a1 -m 512 -soundhw all -localtime -kernel-kqemu

Again don't know if this is what you were originally after tunedbyGM but it's "a way" :cheers:

Chevy366
December 15th, 2008, 12:13 PM
No , not really because you are still in WInders , just on top of Linux .
VMWare will do the same thing , use to beta test for VMWare .
Glad you have it working thought , but you are still in Winders .

mxracer
December 15th, 2008, 12:25 PM
With ya, realize it's still in windows. No matter what anyone does with the current software under linux it will still be in a windows emulator of some sort. :hihi:

I'll play with WINE next and see how that goes. Just something to do.

IMO anyone wanting to do this for real would be better off to just dual boot the machine for EFLive work.

Good luck.

Chevy366
December 15th, 2008, 02:05 PM
With ya, realize it's still in windows. No matter what anyone does with the current software under linux it will still be in a windows emulator of some sort. :hihi:

I'll play with WINE next and see how that goes. Just something to do.

IMO anyone wanting to do this for real would be better off to just dual boot the machine for EFLive work.

Good luck.
Yeah if someone from WINE heard you call it a emulator they would go ballistic , Wine Is Not Emulator = WINE (FYI , I also call it a emulator) , just a hobby of mine trying to bring Linux a little closer to the mainstream world .
Will try Codeweavers suggestions , but it sounds as if EFILive has the key syndrome , and needs Winders Explorer and Device manager to work .
Yeah , I have dual booted Winders and Linux for some 10 years now , VMWare , qemu and Zen are nice but still Winders on top of Linux .

Blacky
December 16th, 2008, 10:46 PM
The new EFILive on Linux forum, here: http://forum.efilive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Regards
Paul

Jasondt2001
December 22nd, 2008, 05:44 AM
anyone thought of using NDiswrapper for the linux side of USB drivers/translation?
I just got The newest EFILive 7.5, and 8 installed on wine and was extactic!!!
Havent plugged anything in yet as the stuff is in the truck and it's COLD outside. ;)

Jasondt2001
December 22nd, 2008, 05:47 AM
The new EFILive on Linux forum, here: http://forum.efilive.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Regards
Paul

I love it, thanks guys!! I really think it just may open you up to another customer base a tad more with the linux boxes... i mean, efi is a tinkerers tool; and Linux is the same, it seems to go hand in hand!

- Jason

joecar
December 22nd, 2008, 06:13 AM
Yes, linux is like a car you're building up... recompile a new kernel every week, write a kernel driver to support a new card, write better lspci and lsscsi utilities, write a new shared library to use sysfs, modify ~/.bashrc and /etc/bashrc, write a few bash/korn scripts, edit/recompile gcc... it goes on... no boredom...:D

Chevy366
December 22nd, 2008, 07:26 AM
anyone thought of using NDiswrapper for the linux side of USB drivers/translation?
I just got The newest EFILive 7.5, and 8 installed on wine and was extactic!!!
Havent plugged anything in yet as the stuff is in the truck and it's COLD outside. ;)

NDISWrapper is for PCICMA cards Modems and such (use to run NDISWrapper a few years ago , before the kernel had card support added) , it is a thought , try and let us know if you get anywhere with it . I think EFILIve is locked by USB driver installation and unless EFILive is triggered by that event it will balk about it .
Yeah I think if you can get EFILive pass the USB detection process you will be fine , I have not played with it anymore yet , but I seem to remember WINE having a way to specify a device and point to it , kernel 2.6 has FTDI drivers already so getting WINE and EFILive to see them is needed , Linux sees the V2 and loads drivers for it .
Linux has matured and doesn't' t need the Kernel building of older years past , much easier , the phobia about Linux needs to be dispelled , it is harder than Winders but God 10 times more secure .

emarkay
January 7th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Let's concentrate on one thread:

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=9685

It can happen! Let's help make it so!

N0DIH
January 7th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I have played around with Linux, the kids love it. Runs good, 8.04 was last I was on, kids loved it, wife didn't mind, but she wanted her WSIWYG editor that only worked on IE. So I gave in....

I have the drive.... Might have to get it going again on an external drive...

Yes, linux is like a car you're building up... recompile a new kernel every week, write a kernel driver to support a new card, write better lspci and lsscsi utilities, write a new shared library to use sysfs, modify ~/.bashrc and /etc/bashrc, write a few bash/korn scripts, edit/recompile gcc... it goes on... no boredom...:D

GMPX
May 3rd, 2009, 12:31 PM
I put Ubuntu (I still can't pronounce it right) on my Laptop.
So far I am pretty impressed, it's certainly feels like it does things pretty fast, the boot time compare to Vista is amazing, it's done by the time Vista has just loaded the login screen.
As a total Linux newbie it doesn't seem too hard to use and configure, the only annoying thing was it initially installed itself in a 2Gb partition, which was full by the time the install was done and I could not update anything and I could not be arsed trying to figure out how to add space!
Anyway, I re-installed it to a 20Gb partition and it is working much nicer, in fact I don't think the initial install actually worked 100%, there was some odd things happening.
It's never going to replace M$ products in mass, but at least it's a Linux that does not require you to lock yourself away in a room for 6 months trying to learn it, err, like DOS used to be :throw:

Cheers,
Ross

P.S - I haven't ordered my penguin t-shirt yet, I've still got plenty of years left with my GEOS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEOS_%288-bit_operating_system%29) one!

Chevy366
May 3rd, 2009, 01:10 PM
Oh my God , I like to fell out of my chair when I saw this .
Congrats on the install , Ubuntu is okay for new users and has a good support base .
I prefer SuSE , but that is me , Linux has come a long ways , with repository management of packages , it is almost as easy as M$ .
There is a partitioner utility in most Linux Distros now .

Get a t-shirt , shows character . :joke:

Gil

GMPX
May 3rd, 2009, 02:08 PM
Get a t-shirt , shows character . :joke:

Gil
I can't talk the talk yet, I dare not join the penguin club.

ScarabEpic22
May 3rd, 2009, 07:23 PM
Ive installed Ubuntu along with Vista and W7 beta (about to install W7 RC1 in a few days!) just havent had enough time to mess with it really. My goal this summer is to build a pc from spare parts and run it on that just to play with in my spare time.

Yes Ubuntu is for Linux noobs, but its Debian core and solid.

GMPX
May 4th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Ive installed Ubuntu along with Vista and W7 beta (about to install W7 RC1 in a few days!) just havent had enough time to mess with it really. My goal this summer is to build a pc from spare parts and run it on that just to play with in my spare time.

Exactly the same as this laptop I'm on now. Currently using Ubuntu, but it also has Vista and W7 beta.

W7 Beta looks very promising, but I could not get it to run for more than 5 mins without a BSOD. Never did figure out what was causing it, but it was after I started installing all my normal apps. I'm hoping the RC1 is going to cure this.
I can't stand Vista on this laptop, it's so slow, yet W7 was quite fast (until it locked up), Ubuntu runs very nice and will probably be my first choice for general work unless W7 runs as well as it seemed to as a Beta.

Now, I just need to work on the long grey beard to be a true Linux user :pokey:

Cheers,
Ross

joecar
May 4th, 2009, 03:31 AM
lol... lot's of fun...:D

ScarabEpic22
May 4th, 2009, 09:31 PM
W7 RC1 released today (5/5/09) in the US, downloading it now! BTW, there is a way to upgrade W7 beta to RC1 even though MS says you cant. Google it, pretty easy to do and Ill be doing it this weekend (this is finals week, cant afford to be without a laptop).

Ross, Im willing to bet you're having a driver conflict. Does your system automatically reboot after a BSOD? If so, open up Control Panel->System->Advanced System Settings->Advanced [tab]. Click the Settings button under Startup and Recovery, then uncheck Automatically Restart. Exit out and wait for it to BSOD, then write down and punch the error code into Google (maybe use Vista or Ubuntu for this part). W7 has been rock solid for me after I got my graphics driver installed.

Chevy366
May 5th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Now, I just need to work on the long grey beard to be a true Linux user :pokey:

Cheers,
Ross

Or a IQ of 10 to use Windows 7 ! :joke::pokey:
Was informed of Windows 7 DL last week , but just couldn't get to excited about it , same old , same old , a few bug fixes , nothing major .
Still passing on Windows 7 (Vista Service Package II) , XP still doing fine , of course I use XP as much as I use corn cob for toilet paper , well maybe less .
Glad to see someone dabble in Linux , who knows might learn that Linux is not all bad after all .

Gil

Chevy366
May 5th, 2009, 08:00 AM

Yes Debian , Ubuntu is kind of the M$ of Linux , with 'sudo' and the like .
Funny I was talking to a Windows guru once told him about booting several different OS on one machine , that was 10 years ago . He also was amazed that I could flash my mainboard BIOS , change setting in BIOS , over clock the CPU , Memory , DL newer drivers for the Vid cards and remove , add or change entries from the registry without killing Windows .
Here is a place that is good for Windows tweaks : http://www.tweakwin7.com/
Check it out !

ScarabEpic22
May 5th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Ill check that out now man, thanks for the link.

Honestly Im using W7 because it boots faster than Vista and is just as stable (Ive never gotten a BSOD with Vista, regular or SP1 in almost 2 years and I mess around A LOT with it). Plus for comparing tune files, having windows snap to one side of the screen and being able to peek at different screens without switching it smart, Microsoft might have finally done something right after XP.

GMPX
May 5th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I'm burning the W7 RC1 DVD now. I removed the Beta version and will install W7 RC1 at some stage. From what I saw W7 will be a reasonable choice to upgrade from XP (not that I really need to).
I still use XP on this machine, no matter what people say XP is not that bad, sure it has it's moments of 'where is the reset button' but they don't happen often enough to be a problem for me. A fresh install of XP runs pretty good.
Vista on the other hand, what where they thinking!

Cheers,
Ross

GMPX
May 5th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Glad to see someone dabble in Linux , who knows might learn that Linux is not all bad after all .
I never had a problem with Linux except that when I saw people using it I had flashbacks to setting up a 486 DOS PC. Might be some of my ignorance showing through there.
I get the feeling Ubuntu is frowned upon by hardcore Linux users, but for the millions like me who have gone from Win 3.1 to Vista and everything in between it's an eye opener.
Note: I am not a M$ fan boy by any means which is why I am glad I finally installed Ubuntu, I feel happy to use something other than the M$ OS.

Chevy366
May 5th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I'm burning the W7 RC1 DVD now. I removed the Beta version and will install W7 RC1 at some stage. From what I saw W7 will be a reasonable choice to upgrade from XP (not that I really need to).
I still use XP on this machine, no matter what people say XP is not that bad, sure it has it's moments of 'where is the reset button' but they don't happen often enough to be a problem for me. A fresh install of XP runs pretty good.
Vista on the other hand, what where they thinking!

Cheers,
Ross

I read some of the changelog for W7 , still not to impressed with it .
If I get time I may DL W7 and play with it (1-10 , 1) , the XP mode sounds pretty lame to me , running XP apps in a separate environment , don't know , CPU HOG , security flaw ?
Once you get Compiz (KDE or Gnome , Linux) set up and working Areo looks unimpressive to say the least .
Seriously , I use Windows when I have to , but any other time I make Linux do for the most part , Windows is okay and both Linux and Windows have strengths and weaknesses .
Windows Vista what were they thinking ? More Money ! :secret:

Gil

swingtan
May 5th, 2009, 03:59 PM
My understanding was that Vista was the new "Windows Millennium".......

I still run XP at home and it's a 6 year old install that has been butchered to within a millimeter of it's life. ( remembers the day an application un-install went terribly wrong when the app thought it installed the system32 directory... ).

I'm pretty happy with the latter versions of KDE though. My 13 year old daughter is happy with her laptop running Open SUSE and KDE, does her school work in Open Office and surfs the web using Opera. Now if I could just get an iPod touch application for it and some Lexmark printer drivers and EFILive talking to the V2, all would be sweet.

Chevy366
May 6th, 2009, 02:58 AM
This bites , guess a force to update : http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1052035/many-intel-chips-xp-mode-win

ScarabEpic22
May 6th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Funny you mention Vista Millennium Edition, I was just thinking that last night as W7 RC1 finished downloading. ME was such a POS, had it on a refurb'ed 700mhz Celeron with 256mb ram and my first 4x CD burner!! Ran it for about 5 months til XP came out then upgraded in a flash and never looked back.

I can understand your hate for MS, but remember Im from Seattle where lots of people work for either Boeing or Microsoft so...and access to the company store is pretty sweet too. Ill be upgrading W7 beta to RC1 probably friday afternoon or saturday evening, hoping I can upgrade instead of having to wipe this partition as Ive got so many programs installed it takes hours to reinstall all of them.

Chevy366
May 7th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Now if I could just get an iPod touch application for it and some Lexmark printer drivers and EFILive talking to the V2, all would be sweet.
Yep that would be sweet , I don't have a iPod but I do know there are apps for Linux that work well with them , and Lexmark printer , what can you say , use a HP , maybe now that someone from EFILive is actually using a Linux Distro we might have a chance of a build for Linux . :gossip: :hihi:

Erik , reloads are a PiTA in any OS , feel your pain .

Chevy366
May 7th, 2009, 03:23 AM
More F.U.D. for Win7 : http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137139/windows-bootkit-released
Some people just don't like Win7 .

ScarabEpic22
May 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Reloads are a huge PITA, for about 3 years I would save my files and format my HD and reinstall XP Pro just to make it run faster. Then I figured out how I can tweak it to make it run faster anyway.

Haha not surprised at all about that bootkit, remember how Microsoft claimed XP was "unhackable"? I saw keygens and serials that worked BEFORE it was publicly released...doh!!

Blacky
May 7th, 2009, 08:30 AM
maybe now that someone from EFILive is actually using a Linux Distro we might have a chance of a build for Linux .

Actually Andrew is a UNIX guru, and I spent the first 15 years of my working life as a UNIX systems programmer - all done via green-screen, dumb terminal. Multiple sessions were handled by having multiple terminals on the desk - really low tech but expensive.

VI is still my favorite editor. I can still code/edit faster using vi than when using any fancy IDE on a PC. If only I could integrate VIM as my Delphi editor...

A UNIX version of EFILive would be easier for me to write than a Windows version. :fluffy:
The thing preventing us from doing it is that it is such a small fraction of our user base. I know that is a catch 22, UNIX platforms won't dominate until all the apps are available for it, but the apps won't be ported to UNIX until it is a dominant OS.

Regards
Paul

mistermike
May 8th, 2009, 03:21 AM
VI is still my favorite editor.

Regards
Paul

You're a sick individual. That's like saying putting my pud in a waffle iron is my favorite form of sex.

Just kidding. I've worked with VI in an AIX environment just enough to be intimidated by it. I admire anyone who's mastered it.

redhardsupra
May 8th, 2009, 04:58 AM
VI is a bit awkward, but VIM is just plain awesome. Lately though, I've been using Komodo Edit a lot, it has a lot of power (regex, macros, even VI bindings for the true believers), but it does it all GUI and platform independent.

Blacky
May 8th, 2009, 10:18 AM
You're a sick individual. That's like saying putting my pud in a waffle iron is my favorite form of sex.

Who've you been talking to? She said she wouldn't tell. :secret:
Paul

Stealth97
May 8th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Actually Andrew is a UNIX guru, and I spent the first 15 years of my working life as a UNIX systems programmer - all done via green-screen, dumb terminal. Multiple sessions were handled by having multiple terminals on the desk - really low tech but expensive.

VI is still my favorite editor. I can still code/edit faster using vi than when using any fancy IDE on a PC. If only I could integrate VIM as my Delphi editor...

A UNIX version of EFILive would be easier for me to write than a Windows version. :fluffy:
The thing preventing us from doing it is that it is such a small fraction of our user base. I know that is a catch 22, UNIX platforms won't dominate until all the apps are available for it, but the apps won't be ported to UNIX until it is a dominant OS.

Regards
Paul

"If you build it...they WILL come".

They never used to sell Laptops or PC's without Windows and the option to use Linux. Never before was it commercial viable/available. It is now in the USA.

Linux EFI Live = More sales of Linux computers.