PDA

View Full Version : Idling at -5 degrees timing=$ thrown away

killerbee
December 17th, 2008, 02:47 PM
...and is driving us LLY owners bonkers. I know that this is so over-retarded that it represents easily a 30% waste of fuel when idling in gear.

But it is stuck at -5 when in drive and stationary. It will go to 0 when in Park. None of the tables adjust it.

I gotta think this is worth figuring out, I know it was requested in another thread, just pleading once again, only because this is so important to fuel savings, and noise level at the drive-thru.

It's the only thing I want for Christmas :sleigh:

jpgmtech
December 17th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I second the motion!

This is driving me crazy!!!

Pleeeeeeeeeeze???

:help2:

beach_33
December 21st, 2008, 10:22 AM
guess i never looked at timing at idle in gear. this cant be adjusted?

killerbee
December 21st, 2008, 10:50 AM
Not with what we have available to us.

There are so any peripheral functions, that it is impractical to reverse engineer them all. But this one just keeps haunting me. When I order up a higher idle speed, the over-advance issue becomes worse yet.

I'm sure one of these days, I'll catch Ross in a good mood. :)

stacks04
April 23rd, 2009, 02:34 AM
well this is old, but it would be good to get a fix for this. i always have to put it in neutral to lessen the noise level at drive ups and such.

beach_33
April 23rd, 2009, 08:30 AM
well i looked at mine but it isnt at -5* it is -3.2*. i havent tried to change this table though

killerbee
April 25th, 2009, 11:44 PM
well this is old, but it would be good to get a fix for this. i always have to put it in neutral to lessen the noise level at drive ups and such.

agree

if you increase pilot qty, this will, in effect, advance timing

Fingers
May 10th, 2009, 02:20 PM
The -5* at idle in gear is biting me now.

I have a very low compression engine I am tuning now and at -5* the engine sputters badly.

Where the heck does the -5 come from anyway?

abkimble
May 13th, 2009, 06:41 PM
The -5* at idle in gear is biting me now.

I have a very low compression engine I am tuning now and at -5* the engine sputters badly.

Where the heck does the -5 come from anyway?

I use B0944 and B0950 and the multipliers.

15.0 to 1 with -1* cleans up the idle but a bit noisy with much more advance.

0 was fair but with fuel pressure increases, you know.....

Fingers
May 13th, 2009, 07:48 PM
But my OS (15141668) on the LLY is ignoring the B0944 values completely.

The only work around I have found so far is to disable the idle timing by setting B0940 to 600 RPM or less. That forces it to use the base timing.

abkimble
May 13th, 2009, 07:57 PM
That is odd, This operating system is the same as the one mentioned above which works.

Hmmm... I'm sure coolant temps and all other parameters are equal. I'll do some more checking during our next runs.

killerbee
May 13th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Jon, what I have done is increase pilot amount. You can time it anywhere you want, and this automatically reduces the main amount, which is over-retarded.

Hope that makes sense as a workaround.

Nemo
August 12th, 2009, 01:58 PM
It does not seem like this issue has been resolved, I keep getting deaper and deaper and all logs I have done latley have been jacked up so I am not playing around until the logging situation is figured out.

KB, I started researching a lot since our last PM's on here and still have not come up with anything that helps fuel milage by more than .5mpg. :shock: