PDA

View Full Version : Duramax Tuning

kurtfromct
December 23rd, 2008, 04:27 PM
ok im new here and dont know all that much about the Durmax (i know more when it comes to the powerstroke but thats another story). well what i want to know is if i get EFI Live with the most powerful tune (i guess it would be like an extreme race or something), can i drive around daily with that tune on or should i run a less powerful tune?? also, i know the 6.0 powerstokes highly recommend ARP headstuds and an EGR Delete, do i have to worry about these with a Durmax running a high powered EFI Live tune?? sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.

DmaxHawk
December 23rd, 2008, 05:45 PM
Welcome to the forum!

To answer your questions...yes you can drive around on an extreme tune. I daily drive on my hottest tune and it does fine, smoke and power come in handy. With EFI you can make your tunes do whatever you want to beter suit your driving habits. Headstuds aren't really a problem unless you start pushing 500-600 hp or over 40-45 pounds of boost. As for the EGR, you can turn the EGR off with EFI but the valve is operated by a spring and can be forced open with great pressure so i would recommend getting a blocker plate. As well as a PCV reroute. Hope this helps!

kurtfromct
December 24th, 2008, 03:27 AM
Welcome to the forum!

To answer your questions...yes you can drive around on an extreme tune. I daily drive on my hottest tune and it does fine, smoke and power come in handy. With EFI you can make your tunes do whatever you want to beter suit your driving habits. Headstuds aren't really a problem unless you start pushing 500-600 hp or over 40-45 pounds of boost. As for the EGR, you can turn the EGR off with EFI but the valve is operated by a spring and can be forced open with great pressure so i would recommend getting a blocker plate. As well as a PCV reroute. Hope this helps!

thanks a lot bro, that answers it all

8100 Power
January 10th, 2009, 03:03 PM
You will need a built transmission for the higher tunes though.

beach_33
January 13th, 2009, 03:36 PM
also if you have a 05 or older duramax then you can run a dsp switch. that will allow you to have different tunes loaded and you can switch on the fly. so you could have a smaller tune that you drive around on maybe a milage. then when you want kick it up to the race tune. you would want to let the tranny learn in drive for the milage tune then put it in towhaul and let it learn in the race tune