PDA

View Full Version : Flash vs. Emulation

Stealth97
December 27th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I am not understanding something correctly about my RR.

When I have it plugged into the vehicle and running, it says Emulation mode. I can switch to real time, and RTACS works for me perfectly.

The one thing I cannot figure out is Flash mode. I switch to flash mode with the vehicle off, try to start, and no go (although it cranks fuel, it seems for some reason the coil does not fire). Back to Emulation mode and it goes first try. Although it did sputter once so I felt it was flooding fuel on the Flash mode start tries.

I've tried programming a program while in Flash mode and have been unsuccessful. Does the RR store one .tun file at a time and uses both for Emulation and Flash? Or does the RR store 2 separate .tun files and you can switch between them depending on whether you are using Flash or Emulation?

If the RR only stores 1 .tun file, why does my vehicle not start when I put it on Flash mode? Is it possible I have an early RR and mine does not have a flash chip? How do I check? My RR is almost 2 years old.

Eric

mr.prick
December 28th, 2008, 04:51 AM
IIRC
If you have the option of flash, then you have the flash chip.
there is no need to "switch" between the 2,
if RTACS is not active the car runs with the
calibration that was last uploaded.

As for the no run situation, i can`t add anything to that.

Try accidentally hitting the flash/emulation button while driving. :hihi:

Tordne
December 28th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Only the very early builds of the RoadRunner had the flash chip present, so if yours is new then it will most certainly not have the flash component. In this case simply ignore the flash option.

With regards to no run. Generally this is something to do with the VATS linkage between the ECM and BCM modules. If it runs in emulation mode then this is not an issue specifically. In your case I'm going to imagine in the first instance that it is simply due to having no flash chip present, and the priming perhaps just occurring as relays are being powered?

Stealth97
December 28th, 2008, 09:35 AM
IIRC
If you have the option of flash, then you have the flash chip.
there is no need to "switch" between the 2,
if RTACS is not active the car runs with the
calibration that was last uploaded.

As for the no run situation, i can`t add anything to that.

Try accidentally hitting the flash/emulation button while driving. :hihi:

Already tried that. Vehicle dies. I cannot get my vehicle to run in Flash mode. I believe it spits fuel but does not fire the coil. Like I'm stuck in VATS mode on the flash chip, but in emulation all is fine.

Can we discuss this more? I'd like Flash to work.

Eric

Stealth97
December 28th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Only the very early builds of the RoadRunner had the flash chip present, so if yours is new then it will most certainly not have the flash component. In this case simply ignore the flash option.

With regards to no run. Generally this is something to do with the VATS linkage between the ECM and BCM modules. If it runs in emulation mode then this is not an issue specifically. In your case I'm going to imagine in the first instance that it is simply due to having no flash chip present, and the priming perhaps just occurring as relays are being powered?

My application is 2002 12200411 Express Van calibration (No BCM, no other modules. Installed in a 1997 5.7L "R" truck).

I bought my RR almost 2 years ago, in March. I'll contact Craig regarding if it has a Flash chip. Why do the newer ones come without a Flash chip? I understand that it is really not necessary with the Emulated chip.

What I want to be able to do is flash from the OBDII port (if possible), and also read from that port (if possible).

If not, basically I need to keep my 12200411 PCM around as a spare in case I need the slow OBD2 port. Not a big deal, just another part in my box of spares.

Eric

1998ws6
January 30th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I know there were issues with people clearing out their serial numbers, and vin numbers for their RR flash chips, I've licensed mine 2-3 times on the flash chip side, to put a full file on the flash chip, to rule out the roadrunner when the vehicle was acting funny in emulation mode.

I think the flash chip not being there helps with the security of not being able to "read" the EFI live file out of the OBD2 port using a third party tool.

I've got some of the earliest roadrunners, but I'm fairly sure neither of the 98 units I have had contain a flash chip