PDA

View Full Version : Auto ve and plx wideband?

mvnvltn
December 29th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Do I need to build maps manually as stated in the VE Tutorial, or can I use the PLX specific ones provided through the EFI software? Please help, this is really starting to confuse me for no reason.

Tordne
December 29th, 2008, 09:02 PM
You can use the PLX ones provided. Back when the tutorial was written the Maps probably were'nt included in the base product (they have now been for some time).

mvnvltn
December 29th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Would you mind telling me what exactly I am supposed to be logging and how to apply it? The tutorial is kinda confusing.:master::throw::bawl::help:

Tordne
December 29th, 2008, 10:34 PM
The tutorial will probably make more sense if you understand the intent of the AutoVE process, which I'll briefly describe below. Please also recognize that the Tutorial was written some time ago, and that the software might be slightly different. You'll likely already be familiar with the software anyway from your Duramax experience...

This process is intended to provide an almost automated mechanism to correct your VE Table, using actual measured AFR ratios from your wideband controller.

EFILive formulated what we call a Base Efficiency Numerator (BEN factor) which put simply is the factor of commanded AFR (from the VE Table) measured against actual (wideband) in the tail pipe.

These BEN fctors are what are presented on the BEN Maps (that you originally asked about) and are applied (as a multiple) against the VE Table.

A for example:
Say your VE table was commanding a AFR of 14.63:1 (stoich) at 3000 rpm @ 45 kPa MAP, but your wideband was measuring 15.36:1. This results in the BEN factor presenting a value of 1.05.

By raising (multiplying) the 3000 RPM @ 45 kPa cell by 5% (1.05) this should result in the commanded and measured AFRs being consistent.

Hope that helps.

mvnvltn
December 29th, 2008, 10:38 PM
The tutorial will probably make more sense if you understand the intent of the AutoVE process, which I'll briefly describe below. Please also recognize that the Tutorial was written some time ago, and that the software might be slightly different. You'll likely already be familiar with the software anyway from your Duramax experience...

This process is intended to provide an almost automated mechanism to correct your VE Table, using actual measured AFR ratios from your wideband controller.

EFILive formulated what we call a Base Efficiency Numerator (BEN factor) which put simply is the factor of commanded AFR (from the VE Table) measured against actual (wideband) in the tail pipe.

These BEN fctors are what are presented on the BEN Maps (that you originally asked about) and are applied (as a multiple) against the VE Table.

A for example:
Say your VE table was commanding a AFR of 14.63:1 (stoich) at 3000 rpm @ 45 kPa MAP, but your wideband was measuring 15.36:1. This results in the BEN factor presenting a value of 1.05.

By raising (multiplying) the 3000 RPM @ 45 kPa cell by 5% (1.05) this should result in the commanded and measured AFRs being consistent.

Hope that helps.

That helps alot. Could you just clarify what pid's I am supposed to be logging on my BEN map? RPM and ????????????

Tordne
December 29th, 2008, 10:49 PM
From your other post I saw the vehicle is an E40 LS2 so I'd say you'd want the 'CALC.BEN_PLX1_B' or 'CALC.BEN_PLX2_B' PID depending on which EXT.AD input the wideband is plugged into.

Just use the '{B0101} Main VE - PLX WO2 AFR.map' map and change the data to whichever PID is required.

mvnvltn
December 29th, 2008, 10:52 PM
From your other post I saw the vehicle is an E40 LS2 so I'd say you'd want the 'CALC.BEN_PLX1_B' or 'CALC.BEN_PLX2_B' PID depending on which EXT.AD input the wideband is plugged into.

Just use the '{B0101} Main VE - PLX WO2 AFR.map' map and change the data to whichever PID is required.

That is my question? What PID is required?

I do not have B0101, I have B0200. Is that the same?

mvnvltn
December 29th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I guess my confusion comes from having to combine 2 different tutorial's that refer to info that is several years old and not real specific to my ECM?

Tordne
December 29th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Yeah the tutorial is for the LS1 ECM (which is where my mind was at - even knowing you're LS2). It's getting late, what can I say :doh2:.

I think my PID answer is still accurate as it is specific to your LS2 (I remembered here).

The Map however is incorrect as the axis are different scales. The B0200 table is the one you're looking at.

I have mad a quick (sample) Map for you based on this table, and using the CALC.BEN_PLX1_B PID. The Map is attached to this post.

mvnvltn
December 29th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Yeah the tutorial is for the LS1 ECM (which is where my mind was at - even knowing you're LS2). It's getting late, what can I say :doh2:.

I think my PID answer is still accurate as it is specific to your LS2 (I remembered here).

The Map however is incorrect as the axis are different scales. The B0200 table is the one you're looking at.

I have mad a quick (sample) Map for you based on this table, and using the CALC.BEN_PLX1_B PID. The Map is attached to this post.

I couldn't open your sample. I guess I'll keep stabbing at it until someone can help.

mvnvltn
December 29th, 2008, 11:59 PM
I think I figured it out, but it is now 6am and I need some sleep. I post my progress later

mvnvltn
December 30th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Ok, so at this point I have managed to log and come up with an AFR average on the screen. Now how do I make it to VE Table compatible?
Here Is a screen shot of logged AFR (pic 1).

Tordne
December 30th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I've just started a new day now as well :)

The MAP looks pretty much like what I attached. The PID you need to have as the 'Data' though is the Base Efficiency Numerator for the PLX, under the O2-Wide PID section.

This is a CALC PID so can be added to an existing log. Looking at the log you posted in the other thread you have the 2 BEN PIDs for the PLX, but unfortunately not the 'LS2' style ones. The Logged PID for commanded AFR is also not the LS2 specific PID.

So, change the following:
1) Change the GM.AFR PID to be GM.AFR_B.
2) Add the correct BEN PID - includes the 'LS2 style' words at the end. You only need to log the one that corresponds to the AD input of the wideband (assuming you don;t have one in each bank?).
3) Change the Map to use the 'Data' from the new BEN PID from step 2.
4) Go create a new log :)

mvnvltn
December 30th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I've just started a new day now as well :)

The MAP looks pretty much like what I attached. The PID you need to have as the 'Data' though is the Base Efficiency Numerator for the PLX, under the O2-Wide PID section.

This is a CALC PID so can be added to an existing log. Looking at the log you posted in the other thread you have the 2 BEN PIDs for the PLX, but unfortunately not the 'LS2' style ones. The Logged PID for commanded AFR is also not the LS2 specific PID.

So, change the following:
1) Change the GM.AFR PID to be GM.AFR_B.
2) Add the correct BEN PID - includes the 'LS2 style' words at the end. You only need to log the one that corresponds to the AD input of the wideband (assuming you don;t have one in each bank?).
3) Change the Map to use the 'Data' from the new BEN PID from step 2.
4) Go create a new log :)

Check my new attaches screen shots and see what you think.:grin:
I hope I'm getting close:doh2:

Tordne
December 30th, 2008, 08:17 AM
LOL, you posted while I was replying.

Still check the PID selections as they were incorrect for your requirements from the log you posted in the Absolute Throttle Position thread. You may have already resoled this, but I just want to make sure.

The Map needs to be showing the BEN 'Data' or you cannot use the resulting factor as a correction to the VE Table. What you're seeing in the current Map is the logged AFR data. The BEN is derived by comparing commanded against actual, and resulting in a correction factor.

mvnvltn
December 30th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I see the GM.AFR_B, PID I just changed that. I do not see the LS2 Ben file though. I'm gonna go log now.

Tordne
December 30th, 2008, 11:10 AM
See screenshot below:

mvnvltn
December 30th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I think I've done it!!!!!! Tell me what you think. I applied the chart based on a 50 cell count. If this is what I am supposed to get as a result, do I just apply, reflash, log, reapeat? Is any smoothing required, or is this a flash and go?

mvnvltn
December 30th, 2008, 11:46 AM
See screenshot below:

At first it didn't let me apply those and then it did? No question it was saved when it let me. :D

ssvolvo
December 31st, 2008, 12:10 AM
Smoothing is an art. Do some searching and there might be a tutorial. Also when you save your tune call it something similar to the log you saved. Like save the tune GTO#1 and when you log the data for THAT tune save the log say GTO#1. This way you can always go back to the log that matches the tune. Sometimes when smoothing you make the map worse than it was i n the begining.

It looks like you have a stock GTO. Doesn't appear to need much change. Not to be nosy but I have a bone stock 06. I never have done the VE on it because I didn't want to install a wide band. My biggest gains were a bit more timing and power enrichment at a lower throttle setting B0156 around 8% and then command B3618 to the Lambda you want.

What helped me also was using two laptops. One to change the VE map and the other just to be able to see the old VE table as I smoothed the new one. A bit primitive but hey that's me.

You're a fast learner, John

mvnvltn
December 31st, 2008, 05:15 AM
Smoothing is an art. Do some searching and there might be a tutorial. Also when you save your tune call it something similar to the log you saved. Like save the tune GTO#1 and when you log the data for THAT tune save the log say GTO#1. This way you can always go back to the log that matches the tune. Sometimes when smoothing you make the map worse than it was i n the begining. I have some time under my belt with smoothing, when tuning my diesel. It dosen't appear to need much change though. I'm going to log it a couple of more times and see what I get.
It looks like you have a stock GTO. Yes. Doesn't appear to need much change. Not to be nosy but I have a bone stock 06. I never have done the VE on it because I didn't want to install a wide band. My biggest gains were a bit more timing and power enrichment at a lower throttle setting B0156 around 8% and then command B3618 to the Lambda you want. I'll be it touch. LOL

What helped me also was using two laptops. One to change the VE map and the other just to be able to see the old VE table as I smoothed the new one. A bit primitive but hey that's me.

You're a fast learner, John

I really have to thank Tordne, and hquick. They both spent alot of time helping me to get me to the point I'm at now.

John you have mail. :D

joecar
December 31st, 2008, 06:09 AM
Set the VE units to g*K/kPa and not %... it will save you some problems.

Tordne
December 31st, 2008, 07:20 AM
I really have to thank Tordne, and hquick. They both spent alot of time helping me to get me to the point I'm at now.

John you have mail. :D

Happy to help :grin: