PDA

View Full Version : gauge cluster message

FH Leader
January 6th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I have seen it but I dont know how to do it. How do you program your gauge cluster to display a message that you entered in to it with efi live?

joecar
January 6th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I believe it is the file Messages.txt located in My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration.

There are some caveats to displaying a message, I believe it will only display during flashing.

GMPX
January 6th, 2009, 02:30 PM
And won't work on your LBZ, it's only for earlier vehicles.

FH Leader
January 6th, 2009, 02:36 PM
damn it will they ever get it to work on the LBZ?

Cougar281
January 6th, 2009, 03:09 PM
damn it will they ever get it to work on the LBZ?

Doubt it. 01-05 the programming was done over the Class 2 bus. 06+ programming is done over the HS GMLAN bus, and the cluster is on Class 2. 07.5+, programming is done on HS GMLAN, and the cluster is on LS GMLAN, which might not even come back to the DLC. slipping the message in on the class2 bus just before programming is easy. It's not as easy to try to send the messages on a differnt bus than the one you're programming on.

Chuck CoW
January 6th, 2009, 03:27 PM
He he..Check here!

Chuck CoW

Cougar281
January 6th, 2009, 03:31 PM
He he..Check here!

Chuck CoW

I'm sure you're doing something other than slipping a message onto the data bus just before and after programming ;). I can make my cluster say whatever I want too :music_whistling_1:

BBdiesel
July 7th, 2009, 10:29 AM
how exactly do you do that? and it only display the text when flashing??

KB3MMX
March 2nd, 2011, 07:38 AM
how exactly do you do that? and it only display the text when flashing??

I'm wondering the same thing for a 06LLY , 07LBZ truck and a 04 Gas engine truck that has the 6.0 Vortec?
Having the custom message at vehicle startup would be sooooo cool !!

Thanks !!!

ScarabEpic22
March 2nd, 2011, 10:10 AM
I'm wondering the same thing for a 06LLY , 07LBZ truck and a 04 Gas engine truck that has the 6.0 Vortec?
Having the custom message at vehicle startup would be sooooo cool !!

Thanks !!!

EFILive cant do it, it only lets the custom message flash across the DIC when reading/flashing because the EFILive bootloader is working in the PCM/ECM at that time and it is the bootloader that can display the message.

Cougar281
March 2nd, 2011, 10:17 AM
it only lets the custom message flash across the DIC when reading/flashing because the EFILive bootloader is working in the PCM/ECM at that time and it is the bootloader that can display the message.

Dpesn't have anything to do with the bootloader. Making the cluster display whatever you want is easy if you have the hardware to interface with the class2 bus (and know what to send ;)). The reason it works with the pre-06 trucks and not the 06+ is the data read/write is done on the class2 bus on the older trucks, and slipping the required message onto the bus is pretty easy. It doesn't work on the 06+ because the read/flash is done on the GMLAN bus, and on the 06/07 trucks the cluster is still on the Class2 bus, and the 07.5+ the cluster is on the low speed GMLAN bus. Becuase of this, you can't just slip a message onto the bus between packets like you can with the pre-06 trucks.

As for a custom message on startup, not sure how you'd do that one... probably require some cluster hacking/re-programming...

ScarabEpic22
March 2nd, 2011, 08:12 PM
Ok true, but in this case EFILive is acting as the delivery method of broadcasting the message on the VPW bus. Its been too long since Ive used V7 to flash my TBSS that I cant remember if it still does it or not, use BBx for everything now.

I know of one guy who did it for GTOs but I dont think he did it for anything else.

KB3MMX
March 9th, 2011, 12:53 PM
If you guys can figure out how I could do it on a LBZ truck, that would be awesome!!

GMPX
March 9th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Not going to happen KB3MMX, the cluster is on the slow CAN bus.

KB3MMX
March 10th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Not going to happen KB3MMX, the cluster is on the slow CAN bus.

Bummer, ok.

Thanks