PDA

View Full Version : E38 - E67 OS compatibility list

GMPX
January 8th, 2009, 03:52 PM
EDIT: Freshly updated list up to 2011 models, now includes the E37, E38 & E67, see pdf attachment.

Given the recent problems people have encountered with the 2009 model ECM's and programming with TIS and EFILive to earlier OS's I thought I would create a list of OS numbers that shows what should be ok to upgrade / downgrade to.
Anything marked as a 2009 ECM do not upgrade an old ECM to this OS or don't downgrade the existing 2009 OS to an earlier OS or it will more than likely result in a corrupted ECM due to a change made to the 2009 ECM's.

OS Compatibility Guide.pdf (http://download.efilive.com/Documentation/OS%20Compatibility%20Guide.pdf)

Cheers,
Ross

gmh308
January 8th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Given the recent problems people have encountered with the 2009 model ECM's and programming with TIS and EFILive to earlier OS's I thought I would create a list of OS numbers that shows what should be ok to upgrade / downgrade to.
Anything marked as a 2009 ECM do not upgrade an old ECM to this OS or don't downgrade the existing 2009 OS to an earlier OS or it will more than likely result in a corrupted ECM due to a change made to the 2009 ECM's.

Cheers,
Ross

Thanks Ross. Appreciate the time.

That makes it pretty well cut and dried.

Do you foresee a time when EFILive will abstract this issue and it will go away?

Also thanks for the additional T42 capability!!!!

Cheers and have a good weekend! :cheers:

doubledip
January 10th, 2009, 10:07 AM
The List is good but do you have a list of the part numbers of the ECU's that are for each year, surely that would be a better way to know what OS can then go back into the ECU... or are you suggesting that we read the ECU first.. see what column the OS falls under then know we can only put back in another OS from that column?

you would think there would be specific part numbers for each year/OS other wise if one part number was across both an 08 and 09 OS then you would be able to change OS years

gmh308
January 10th, 2009, 12:51 PM
The List is good but do you have a list of the part numbers of the ECU's that are for each year, surely that would be a better way to know what OS can then go back into the ECU... or are you suggesting that we read the ECU first.. see what column the OS falls under then know we can only put back in another OS from that column?

you would think there would be specific part numbers for each year/OS other wise if one part number was across both an 08 and 09 OS then you would be able to change OS years

You would think GM might have had specific part #'s for years, though considering they have been proven to change H/W mid year, and can even specify 2 or more hardware versions in a model year, which then seem to be subject to being superceded....:shock:....sounds like a good navigation feature for a TomTom :doh2:.

doubledip
January 10th, 2009, 01:48 PM
they would have specific part numbers for applications... so if the OS changed enough to stop you going backwards then you think it would have a newer part number.. make it easier to identify for spares...

so there must be some specific part numbers just for these 09 OS's..

there are 4 that i know of part numbers for the E38's and possibly more , so a list should be able to be made.

GMPX
January 11th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Do you foresee a time when EFILive will abstract this issue and it will go away?
It's a difficult fix and will require a fair amount of time on our part to make it work, in fact I am not 100% it can be done. The problem comes to the fact we can't simply wipe all the data in the ECM and overwrite it with updated data without losing license details etc.
Much like there is certain LS1 PCM variants that can't be used on certain applications, mail order companies just keep track of what works with what.

I can only suggest you check the vehicle usage by service number chart shown here -
http://198.208.187.182/internet/VehiclePartFits.jsp
I don't have (or know of) every different ECM service number that has come out.

Cheers,
Ross

gmh308
January 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM
It's a difficult fix and will require a fair amount of time on our part to make it work, in fact I am not 100% it can be done. The problem comes to the fact we can't simply wipe all the data in the ECM and overwrite it with updated data without losing license details etc.
Much like there is certain LS1 PCM variants that can't be used on certain applications, mail order companies just keep track of what works with what.

Cheers,
Ross

Oki doki thanks. :)

Chuck CoW
January 11th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Oki doki thanks. :)

Thanks again ROSS! I'm using a chart I've been working on with Ian and so far, I've TIS FLASHED 20 new pcms this week for both 08 and 09 cars...and some early ones too with good results.....I'll know more tomorrow when I get to work.

Thanks again!
Chuck CoW

GMPX
August 12th, 2010, 12:24 PM
New pdf list posted, now covers all E37, E38 & E67 ECM's up to 2011.
Hopefully this saves some people some misery.

APS Luis
August 12th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Yeah !

BowlingSS
November 5th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Did the 2011 Camaro L99 have many changes or does anyone have that info yet?

Bill

odd boy
November 5th, 2010, 04:30 PM
thx, very important info

doubledip
January 31st, 2011, 07:29 AM
Hey Ross, went through your updated list just now (E38 in particular) as i came across a VIN that says it is an '09 but it has a OS that you are showing in an 08 column.

now i know the OS is definately good to go in a 12612384 as that is what it came out of, but seeing the VIN and being a '09 VIN i would have though first that it would belong in a 12625455.

The OS was 12624402 but the car comes up as a 2009 model and as you see that is not in the 2009 column

on the sheet is it possible to add the service numbers to the columns as well... would that be helpful and possible? Does it always work like that 100%?

i always worked as the following

12603892 - 2006
12597121 - 2007
12612384 - 2008
12625455 - 2009
12633238 - 2010

this idea may only work on australian cars though

GMPX
January 31st, 2011, 10:49 AM
The VIN has nothing to do with it what goes in to what, the LS7 Corvette is a prime example of this.

doubledip
January 31st, 2011, 09:37 PM
thats fine in saying that but then how do i use the chart? examples

if i have a ECU with serv # 12625455 - which column do i refer to

if i have an OS of 12622139 what srv # ECU do i use.

GMPX
February 1st, 2011, 12:41 AM
Your list is probably the best I've seen as far as service numbers go. A GM dealer would be the best place to check.
From the EFILive perspective we created that PDF before we added the OS compatibility check in to the software so at least people had something to refer to, the pdf is almost redundant if you are using the latest software.

wesam
May 13th, 2012, 08:35 PM
PDF file Link is not working
could you re upload it please

Taz
May 13th, 2012, 10:34 PM
The list is available on the EFILive main web page .. try the link below ...

http://content.efilive.com/documents/OS%20Compatability%20Guide.pdf

Regards,
Taz

kewlklown
March 30th, 2015, 09:09 PM
The list is available on the EFILive main web page .. try the link below ...

http://content.efilive.com/documents/OS%20Compatability%20Guide.pdf

Regards,
Taz

yea...um, link not working for me either
oh...btw, howdy y'all, fresh meat here. I decided i was going to read all info on the forum before I post, but...uh...yea...broken link

thanks everyone for your excellent questions and proper responses