PDA

View Full Version : Mini laptop for tuning with EFI Live?

Aint Skeered
January 23rd, 2009, 07:12 AM
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10575194

I am looking for a laptop for tuning only. I was thinking this is small and compact but is it to small and compact?

Does it even have what is needed for EFI Live?

Any help would be great , thanks Chad.

Tordne
January 23rd, 2009, 07:45 AM
Looks like it should be fine - I assume it is running a regular i368 port of XP.

joecar
January 23rd, 2009, 08:21 AM
That one is good, other forum members are using that one.

Chevy366
January 23rd, 2009, 08:47 AM
Here is another one : http://www.google.com/products/catalog?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&q=lenovo+s10&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=1196658119653333115&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&resnum=1&ct=result#ps-sellers

Aloicious
January 23rd, 2009, 10:58 AM
I use one of these:
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-9?cs=19&s=dhs&ref=homepg

works great for tuning, mine's slightly modified but it still worked great when it was stock.

Aint Skeered
January 23rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
I use one of these:
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-9?cs=19&s=dhs&ref=homepg

works great for tuning, mine's slightly modified but it still worked great when it was stock.

thanks to all of you. This Dell that you are using, is it the cheaper of the 3? It doesn't say if it is using windows xp like the middle one.

Aint Skeered
January 23rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
I read a little more, I like the middle option of that Dell. Thanks guy's.

ScarabEpic22
January 23rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
Any Netbook running Win XP can run EFILive no problem, right now the HP uses a Via C7 processor but the Acer/Asus/Dells use the Intel Atom. All are x86 processors. I want one for taking notes in class, my 17" HP laptop weighs 8lbs and is a bit much to take to classes with small desks.

joecar
January 23rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
I read a little more, I like the middle option of that Dell. Thanks guy's.
If you like the Dell, get it with 1GB DDR2 (add $25) and 16GB SSD (add $40).

Aint Skeered
January 23rd, 2009, 04:29 PM
I like it more for the longer battery life.

Aint Skeered
January 23rd, 2009, 04:35 PM
Do you think the Acer is better Joe? I have no idea myself

Aloicious
January 23rd, 2009, 10:50 PM
If you like the Dell, get it with 1GB DDR2 (add $25) and 16GB SSD (add $40).

actually the dell can take 2gb RAM, dell just doesn't offer it stock, if I were you I'd get the cheap 512 ram, and then get a 2gb stick for it from like crutial, or even best buy, or somewhere simmilar, my 2gb stick was like $40. works perfectly.

also dell only offers up to 16gb drives, but there is a company called runcore that makes excellent aftermarket drives for the mini 9 up to 64gb, and they run faster than the dell drives too, but it will cost anywhere from $70-$200 for the replacement drive, depending on its size. if you're only going to be tuning and some light other usage, I'd say the 16gb from dell would probaly be fine. maybe get a 8gb SD card for extra storage if you need to.

here's a good forum about the dell mini wil tons of good info like mods and other stuff. http://mydellmini.com/

I've heard good things about the acer but I've never used it, I really like the dell, its got very high build quality and is great for everything I've used it for.

stock, my mini 9 came with win xp, 1gb ram, 8gb hd, I modified it and am now running 2gb ram, 64gb HD...

Bruce Melton
January 24th, 2009, 01:47 AM
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=9269

Aint Skeered
January 24th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Thanks for the link. I think I will order the Dell.

8100 Power
January 24th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I like my Acer Aspire. Flashes and scans fine. 160GB Harddrive.

Aint Skeered
January 24th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I like my Acer Aspire. Flashes and scans fine. 160GB Harddrive.

is that the same one I posted a link to at wal mart? DO you have any upgrades to it or still like it came from the store?

I have been looking at both with my finger hanging over the buy now button. How is the Acer out in the sun, can you see the screen fine?

Aint Skeered
January 24th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Well it looks like the Acer is in stock at a local Wal mart, I may just get it. Thanks guy's, It looks like I cant go wrong with either one and the Acer does have more memory with out having to pay extra for it.

8100 Power
January 24th, 2009, 06:46 PM
is that the same one I posted a link to at wal mart? DO you have any upgrades to it or still like it came from the store?

I have been looking at both with my finger hanging over the buy now button. How is the Acer out in the sun, can you see the screen fine?

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-8-9-inch-Netbook-Processor-Sapphire/dp/B001EYV9TM

That is the one I purchased. 160GB HD, The screen shows quite well in the sun actually. Better than my new Dell ($2000).

I must say the battery life is quite awesome! :rockon:

Aloicious
January 24th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Well it looks like the Acer is in stock at a local Wal mart, I may just get it. Thanks guy's, It looks like I cant go wrong with either one and the Acer does have more memory with out having to pay extra for it.

Nice, I've heard good stuff about the aspire, I'm sure you'll like it. let us know how it is once you get it

Bruce Melton
January 25th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Not to confuse you:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=9767&highlight=aspire

Aint Skeered
January 25th, 2009, 01:10 AM
I thank you all, I am going to pick up the Acer aspire Tuesday. I dont even ride and watch any more unless its with the v2. If I do its with some one driving. This is more for going to the track and making changes.

joecar
January 25th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Move to Lounge.

Aint Skeered
January 27th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I bought the Acer. It ended up costing only $299 at Wal mart:hihi:

It will take a little getting use to the small keypad but I am getting better now. I am on it now typing this . I will try it out with scanning tomorrow but i think it is going to be great for what I am doing with it.( tuning)

it has pretty quick enternet so far. down loads are pretty fast.:rockon:

ScarabEpic22
January 27th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Cool man, for $299 I might have to pick one up sometime. Maybe Ill buy that WBO2 sensor first though, too many things to buy and never enough money. :(

Garry
February 3rd, 2009, 07:16 AM
I'm looking into the Samsung NC10 - great battery runtime (almost 8h with the 6 cell) and good price ...

redhardsupra
February 3rd, 2009, 10:48 AM
http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS9895185354.html next gen of netbooks, might wanna hold off a second if you dont need it right away

Bruce Melton
February 3rd, 2009, 11:04 AM
Asus is losing the battle they stated so they better get some interest in the "wait and see" in order to stay in the war. I have an Asus Mom Board and the support is beyond terrible. The new chip looks like hype and the weight is up 50% based on 6>9 cells. EFIlive is not very demanding of a system anywho-
Guess you can tell I am not impressed. :)

Tre-Cool
February 4th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Another laptop working looking at is the Lenovo S series. had a look at one the other day at a mates computer shop. slightly larger than the asus eepc and has a built in pci express slot.

http://shopap.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/auweb/LenovoPortal/en_AU/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=3634951826AE4D3881BFFF1AC5FCD957&current-category-id=32DECB22D644448EA624A0EE491A350A

apparently also cheaper than the asus at only 600Aus

Aint Skeered
February 4th, 2009, 01:49 AM
which ever mini you go with , let me say that it sure is nice not being so bulky for taking in a car for a ride or bringing to the track to test and tune with. Very nice for tuning with.

So far I am very pleased with everything about my Acer Aspire.

ScarabEpic22
February 5th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Really Bruce? Ive built a bunch of comps with Asus mobos and in all honesty only like 1 or 2 other brands. But only if an Asus mobo doesnt fit what I/customer needs. Yea their support sucks a little bit but sending me a brand new mobo 18+mo after warranty expired sealed the deal for me, sent my burnt/messed up one in, they sent me a brand new board less than a week later. Good to hear other people's stories with them though!

Garry
February 10th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Picked me up the Samsung after taking a look at two "competitors" at the shop ... Samsung won hands down with overall build quality feeling, keyboard, etc ... put on a Ubuntu partition, left some 40+Gigs for XP ... encryption of the XP partition went pretty quick too, only about an hour or so ... Of course, EFILive is on it already, tried to connect to V2, which worked fine, haven't hooked it up to the car yet, though ... don't expect any trouble there either ... only thing that could be a bit bigger is the track pad, but I guess I can get used to it ...

Aint Skeered
February 10th, 2009, 09:17 AM
when you flash a tune to a pcm , the start tab you click to start the loading process is down at the bottom so far that you have to know where it is to click it. there may be a way for me to change that, maybe zooming out while flashing.

good luck with it, i really like the compactness of the mini for tuning . Glad i chose to save the money for a tune only laptop.

Aloicious
February 10th, 2009, 12:40 PM
when you flash a tune to a pcm , the start tab you click to start the loading process is down at the bottom so far that you have to know where it is to click it. there may be a way for me to change that, maybe zooming out while flashing.

good luck with it, i really like the compactness of the mini for tuning . Glad i chose to save the money for a tune only laptop.

yeah those buttons are pretty far down there. if you are running XP you can right click on the taskbar down at the bottom and uncheck "lock the taskbar" this allows you to move the taskbar out of the way to see those buttons.