PDA

View Full Version : Newbie w/cam swap idle issue

99STEPSIDE
January 25th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Hello-

Over the couse of the past year I've been customizing my 1999 GMC 4x4 stepside. This past week I installed a Z06 cam. At startup the engine idle speed swings from 2000 rpm to 500 a couple of times then dies. After a couple of these attempts, the engine finally settles down around 800 rpm.

I'm new to using the efilive tuning software. I've made some program changes in the past and I have looked over the idle tuning tutorials, but a little overwhelmed by it. Are there any changes I can make now to get idle somewhat controlled at startup, till I can take more time to tweak it in?

The truck has a 5.3L engine with a Radix Magnacharger, OS is 09379910, transmission is a 4L60E. I am attaching latest tune file . Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you,

The Alchemist
January 29th, 2009, 07:20 PM
first see what your idle steps are at...this will show you weather you have enough initial throttle opening. You may have to much or not enough. Make any adjustments just a tweak not half a turn :)
Once you have it up to temperature and idling check the IAC steps and adjust the throttle blade until you achieve somewhere between 30 to 50 steps then report back :)

99STEPSIDE
January 30th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the reply. What idle step values should I be shooting for?

The Alchemist
February 2nd, 2009, 06:38 PM
30 to 50 ish,
oh and make sure your TPS at idle is under the switch point, usually less than 1.19. If it goes over your idle stratagy will never will never kick in....If it does go over because it has to, do a tps reset which sets it back to zero again.
Mike.