PDA

View Full Version : tuning out exhaust hiss

jaydog
January 26th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Can anyone tell me what exactly I need to change to get rid of the exhaust hissing noise you hear at idle with a turbo back exhaust? I want the deep rumble I hear every once in awhile when the turbo vanes change. Also will it affect performance at all if I change it?

killerbee
February 1st, 2009, 01:04 AM
Can anyone tell me what exactly I need to change to get rid of the exhaust hissing noise you hear at idle with a turbo back exhaust? I want the deep rumble I hear every once in awhile when the turbo vanes change. Also will it affect performance at all if I change it?

it is a result of closed vanes. Open the vanes on the min/max tabes to, say 40%. You will get rid of it.

DmaxHawk
February 1st, 2009, 03:45 AM

You will need to change the Turbo Vane Target Position tables (B2210-B2215). Cut every table from 600-800 rpms and from 0-20 mm3s to about 10% (which is where I have mine but its up to you). This will open the vanes at idle and give you the rumble you want.

Yes there are affects are performance, but in a good way :). It will decrease cool down times considerably. Other than that, the truck will act and drive as normal. Cant go wrong

herculesduramax
February 10th, 2009, 07:14 AM
change all of your Turbo Vane Target Position tables from 0-800 RPM to "0" and then change the 0-800 RPM in the Turbo Vane Target Position Minimum Table (B2225) to "0." If you really want that LB7 rumble, go with 0%, not 10% If you wanna make the truck sound even louder, take out all of the pilot injection and increase your timing during Idle RPM. damn thing will sound like a 12 valve...while still generating those high LBZ horsepower numbers

DmaxHawk
February 10th, 2009, 07:23 AM
how much timing do you add?

herculesduramax
February 10th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I added 4 degrees to the 0-800 RPM, 0-35 mm3 section of all the timing tables. The main reason for doing this was to tune out excess smoke (from other tuning changes I assume) while the truck was idling...but it also made things a little louder. smoke went away too. The main sound difference is going to come from opening up the vanes and killing all the pilot injection though. Getting rid of the pilot is a little tricky because of all the tables that control it, but once it's gone, that LBZ will sound fierce.

DmaxHawk
February 10th, 2009, 01:07 PM
What are all the tables to disable the pilot?

herculesduramax
February 11th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I zeroed the following tables (if they weren't already set to zero): B9101, B9102, B9103, B9104, B9107, B9108, B9111, B9112, B9115, B9116, B9120, B9121, B9123, B9125, B9127, B9130, B9131, B9133, B9135, B9137. Some of those tables are already set to zero from the factory. I had some problems with the pilot injection re-engaging under certain temperatures...so I made sure all of them were zero. This may slightly affect the ignition process because the pilot assists here a little...nothing really noticeable though.

DmaxHawk
February 11th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Thanks!

lubeman1969
July 28th, 2009, 12:42 PM
You will need to change the Turbo Vane Target Position tables (B2210-B2215). Cut every table from 600-800 rpms and from 0-20 mm3s to about 10% (which is where I have mine but its up to you). This will open the vanes at idle and give you the rumble you want.

Yes there are affects are performance, but in a good way :). It will decrease cool down times considerably. Other than that, the truck will act and drive as normal. Cant go wrong

Im new to efi, is there a way to choose all these tables at once and make the chang, then save it?

bballer182
July 28th, 2009, 12:45 PM
not really unless some one wants to make you a script to do it.

lubeman1969
July 28th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Ok, so I have to pull up every table and set the new % and then save it all, right?

lubeman1969
July 28th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I just went and looked from b2210-b2215 and currently all %'s in columns 600-800 rpms and 0-20mm3's are at 80-90 something %. Is it really ok to go from that down to 10%, cause right after going up from 800 rpm it increases dramatically. I guess since I am so new to this it seems like a radical change...??

DmaxHawk
July 28th, 2009, 01:26 PM
I just went and looked from b2210-b2215 and currently all %'s in columns 600-800 rpms and 0-20mm3's are at 80-90 something %. Is it really ok to go from that down to 10%, cause right after going up from 800 rpm it increases dramatically. I guess since I am so new to this it seems like a radical change...??

If youd like, send me your tune and I'll do it for you. That way you could see what it looks like

On edit: there is no problem going from 80 to 10. I have mine set going from 2 to 99% and it has no problem

lubeman1969
July 28th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Dmaxhawk...thanks for the response man, I think I will try it myself as Im on two different computers right now and my zip drive is nowhere to be found!! haha. I also think I will try turning upp the timing as herculesdmax recommended and I may even try and disable the pilot injection at idle, do you think these are good ideas?

DmaxHawk
July 28th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Dmaxhawk...thanks for the response man, I think I will try it myself as Im on two different computers right now and my zip drive is nowhere to be found!! haha. I also think I will try turning upp the timing as herculesdmax recommended and I may even try and disable the pilot injection at idle, do you think these are good ideas?

No problem. You still use Zip drives?? get yourself a jumpdrive:grin:

I tried turning the timing up and disabling the pilot injection and i didn't like the way it ran. But thats just me, you might find that you like it. I haven't messed with it since then. I might try it again to see what I come up with.

lubeman1969
July 28th, 2009, 02:21 PM
What did you not like about it? By the way it sounds, the two purposes for this is to give it a louder rumble and to reduce the amount of smell at idle? When herculesdmax gave all the tables to zero for disabling pilot injection, was he saying to zero the entire table from top to bottom? I can see how to do that, but have no idea which tables to go in and move timing up. Too late tonight, but I have shut of egr function and taken the hiss at idle away!! Iguess enough for tonight...let me know what you think..Jason

DmaxHawk
July 28th, 2009, 02:30 PM
What did you not like about it? By the way it sounds, the two purposes for this is to give it a louder rumble and to reduce the amount of smell at idle? When herculesdmax gave all the tables to zero for disabling pilot injection, was he saying to zero the entire table from top to bottom? I can see how to do that, but have no idea which tables to go in and move timing up. Too late tonight, but I have shut of egr function and taken the hiss at idle away!! Iguess enough for tonight...let me know what you think..Jason

IIRC, it ran rough. This was with a cold motor back in February i think. So i need to try it again with a warm motor. He said the timing was to reduce smoke at idle. Yes, zero out the entire pilot injection table. The timing tables are B0908-B0910, increase timing by 4 degrees in the idle part of the table (0-600 rpm, 0-15mm3)

lubeman1969
July 28th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Thank you, I may just try this and see if I like it...thanks for your help...Im new to this forum and to EFIlive, glad to have made a friend!! Jason

DmaxHawk
July 28th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Thank you, I may just try this and see if I like it...thanks for your help...Im new to this forum and to EFIlive, glad to have made a friend!! Jason

Congrats on your EFI purchase, you will not be disappointed with it. :welcome:Welcome to the forum! Let me know if you have any questions.

lubeman1969
July 29th, 2009, 03:03 PM
When adding the 4 degrees of timing, why dont I go up to 800 rpm instead of 600...the truck is set to idle at 680 I believe. If the timing addition is set below idle, will it even be effective? The table increments are in 200rpm jumps, am I missing something?

DmaxHawk
July 29th, 2009, 03:11 PM
When adding the 4 degrees of timing, why dont I go up to 800 rpm instead of 600...the truck is set to idle at 680 I believe. If the timing addition is set below idle, will it even be effective? The table increments are in 200rpm jumps, am I missing something?

You're right, 800 is also included in the idle area

justin123
July 31st, 2009, 09:54 AM
just so u know u can go under the fuel pressure folder and open up max number of injection pulses from 0-800 rpm to 1 instead of 5 and u wont have to mess with all them folders. me personally i have absolutly no pilots at all i only run the main injection a little noisy but sounds good i think. u can add a little more timing that way b/c the pilots are not preheating the cylinders. turn your post inj. off also they do nothing on the lbz w/straight pipes but waste fuel in my opinion.

bballer182
July 31st, 2009, 11:37 AM
just so u know u can go under the fuel pressure folder and open up max number of injection pulses from 0-800 rpm to 1 instead of 5 and u wont have to mess with all them folders. me personally i have absolutly no pilots at all i only run the main injection a little noisy but sounds good i think. u can add a little more timing that way b/c the pilots are not preheating the cylinders. turn your post inj. off also they do nothing on the lbz w/straight pipes but waste fuel in my opinion.

The purpose of the Post injection is to lower the NOx emissions. It has nothing to do with the exhaust system on and LBZ. LMM is a different story. But there is a trade off there Use more fuel lowering NOx OR use less fuel making more NOx????? thats the question. I personally turned it off too...

maxxflip
August 5th, 2009, 04:11 AM

Ive wanted to try this with no pilots tryed 0ing all the tables mentioned eailier and it ran like shit even warm so i thought i might try your way but my table B1021 starts @ 1400 rpm and 5 volts:wtf1:
is that the right table?

justin123
August 8th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Ive wanted to try this with no pilots tryed 0ing all the tables mentioned eailier and it ran like shit even warm so i thought i might try your way but my table B1021 starts @ 1400 rpm and 5 volts:wtf1:
is that the right table?

is that the LLY engine??? b/c i dont have a B1021 table ???

justin123
August 8th, 2009, 02:33 PM
nvm i was in my transmission searching duh huh... my bad. stock they should all be set to 5 from 0-5800 rpm. and does it run like shit if u give it a little fuel to take off somewhere around 12-1500rpms??? and light colored smoke?? i experimented with running a stock tune with only the main pulse.... and it does as i just described. prorbably what your experiencing but i have alot of tunes that run fine with 1 injection just the stock one dont in that one certain rpm... have u adjusted the timing any??? im pretty sure thats what it is the timing needs to be advance a little.

maxxflip
August 9th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Ya about 1300 rpm and yes light smoke No havent adjusted timing yet was just playing around with it
Is B1021 the table your using to shut off the pilots?
If so what are the values? as stated earlier mine are from 5-17 volts
and 1400-3900 rpm.

lubeman1969
August 22nd, 2009, 01:44 PM
Today I put in the tune I changed to open up turbo vanes at idle and man does it sound good!! I havent gotten ballsy enough to run my tune where pilots are turned off, but that is next. This was def. a good change, I can tell already that the EGT's are lowering faster when you come to 800 rpm or lower...thanks for he help on this thread guys!!

DmaxHawk
August 22nd, 2009, 05:40 PM
Today I put in the tune I changed to open up turbo vanes at idle and man does it sound good!! I havent gotten ballsy enough to run my tune where pilots are turned off, but that is next. This was def. a good change, I can tell already that the EGT's are lowering faster when you come to 800 rpm or lower...thanks for he help on this thread guys!!

Glad you like it!:rockon:

lubeman1969
August 24th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Would it make any sound or benefit difference to change vane positioning from 2% to 0%? Im loving the way this sounds at idle and just wondered about it. If you went to 0%, would your boost be so low right above idle that you would no power?

DmaxHawk
August 24th, 2009, 03:00 PM
changing from 0 to 2% isnt noticeable. It wouldnt have any effect on power either if its at idle.

lubeman1969
August 24th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Ok thanks...I figured I'd ask before experimenting. Dmaxhawk...check out the new thread I just started and give me some thoughts please...

Eddysel
August 27th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I changed the tables to "0" as well then I highlighted those same tables and 1 more to the right and 1 more down than the tables I changed and used the "smooth" button. This way when I step on the go pedal my vanes aren't at "0" and needing to get to "80" to make boost to get me moving. Still rumbles nice too. I have 5" TB.

johnasara
December 5th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Is this the same for the LMM???

bballer182
December 5th, 2009, 05:10 PM
yep

n2brk
December 16th, 2009, 01:50 PM
hi - I'm trying to write a script for this right now. I see post recommending 40% and this one recommending 10%. It seems like a big difference??? I don't know which to use, but my goals are no hiss and no driveability changes -opinions?

I am also going to try to reduce the smell at idle - thanks for the info on that too!

Thanks,
Wally

Dozerboy
December 16th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I use 25% you can try 40% if you want. This will have no affect on drive ability you can use what ever % you want as long as it sounds good to you. As far as I know there is nothing you can do about the smell its a diesel.

n2brk
December 17th, 2009, 11:47 AM
thanks - I tried 10% and 40%. Both sound great... but then a couple seconds later it's back to a hiss. I read that this can be tuned out, but I'm unable to figure out how. Any tips??? :)

Thanks!
Wally

bballer182
December 17th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Tune the EGR OFF and set MIN vane table below what you have commanded and you should be fine.

n2brk
December 17th, 2009, 12:27 PM
ok, I'm in now...

I set the EGR to OFF. Now I'm in the MIN Vane table, and I see the values are all set to 2.5. So where should I change? I'm guessing the columns of 300 and 800rpm, but how much lower should I go, and how low on the Y-axis?

THANKS!!!!
Wally

n2brk
December 17th, 2009, 03:13 PM
duh, just re-read and got enough of my answer to try on my own :) Thanks!

curtrwall
March 30th, 2010, 01:14 PM
So this may answer my own question, but my hiss is only tuned out "part time". It has a nice low rumble at idle but as soon as I put the truck in gear in goes straight to the hiss. My table is only zeroed to 300-1000 up to 10 mm3.

bballer182
March 30th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Extend that part of the table down to 20mm3 and that will take care of it.

killerbee
March 30th, 2010, 02:51 PM
ditto.

When you go into gear, your fuel use increases 30% or so.

curtrwall
March 31st, 2010, 09:54 AM
Thanks guys....!!!