PDA

View Full Version : Unregonized PCM after in stalling updates

esco35m
January 31st, 2009, 10:49 AM
I just updated my version of efi live about 5 hours ago and I have been fighting with this for hours. I had 7.4 and updated to 7.55. I have noticed that the tune tool seem to get locked up more often (not loading up and not responding). After I loaded the drivers for RR and Flashscan I registered my efi live. I put in every number, letter, and got the date correct in the registration. I have done this about 15 times.

I have v1 flashscan so I don't know if that was the problem or not but man I wish I had my older verison of 7.4. This one has been nothing but problems for me. Does anyone have any suggetions?

joecar
January 31st, 2009, 12:17 PM
Hi esco35m,

I pm'd Tech Support.

Are you using WinXP or Vista...?

esco35m
January 31st, 2009, 12:34 PM
Vista

Blacky
January 31st, 2009, 01:30 PM
When installing under Vista, make sure you install as administrator, install for all users, and if you still have no luck, turn of UAC (User Access Control).

The "Unrecognized PCM" message will be displayed if the *.tun file you open, or the *.tun file you read from your vehicle, does not have a matching *.cal or *.calz file in the folder (and subfolders): \Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Calibrations. By matching, I mean the *.cal or *.calz file must have the same name as the operating system number of the PCM that the *.tun file came from.

Sometimes after you have installed EFILive, Vista's security model prevents EFILive from seeing or reading some files. I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling with the suggestions in the first paragraph.

Regards
Paul

esco35m
January 31st, 2009, 01:46 PM
Would that still be the case if I not even trying to open a tune file. For example I open up the flashscan and just click on the tune tool icon in the tool bar. I still get demo mode or the unrecognized pcm. I will try to unistall and reinstall. I will try to follow your recommendation. I may have some questions along the way. Thank you for your help and quick response.

esco35m
January 31st, 2009, 02:00 PM
I have looked at some of my resent logs and noticed the last six digits of my vin #xxxxxx. Why did it change from when I did my orignal install of efi live? And could the flashscan have save that as my new vin? still waiting on download.

Blacky
January 31st, 2009, 02:03 PM
Which message are you getting?
1. "Unrecognized PCM".
or
2. "Demo mode".

The messages mean completely different things.

1 means that the PCM you have is not yet supported by EFILive.
2 means that your license information is not correct.

If you are getting 1, please refer to my previous post about *.calz files.
If you are getting 2, please send you license details to me at paul@efilive.com and I will check they are correct.

Regards
Paul

Blacky
January 31st, 2009, 02:07 PM
I have looked at some of my resent logs and noticed the last six digits of my vin #xxxxxx. Why did it change from when I did my orignal install of efi live? And could the flashscan have save that as my new vin? still waiting on download.

EFILive drops off the last 6 identifying digits from the VIN when sending reports back to EFILive. That protects your privacy as it is impossible to track a VIN without those last six digits. EFILive won't reprogram the VIN in a controller unless you specifically ask it to, and then you have to enter the new VIN manually.
The option to change the VIN is in the Scan Tool software under the Bi-directional ->Change VIN... menu option. You can use that roption to see the exact VIN that is programmed into your controller. (Or you can use the Flash->Show PCM Info window in the Tuning Tool software).

Regards
Paul

esco35m
January 31st, 2009, 02:07 PM
I have been getting both. Install is complete and I will try your suggestion.

esco35m
January 31st, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hey Paul, I double clicked the scan and the unknown vehicle box opens like normal. The last time when it open up the vin drop down box had nothing in it. Now it has 2G2FV22G_22xxxxxx in the drop down box. Should I just enter my orignal vin like normal or the one above or the one I have seen in my last log. Sorry for so many questions just want to get this right.

mr.prick
January 31st, 2009, 02:39 PM
If you have a back up license.txt just copy it to the User Configuration folder.
New installs and sometimes update have been known to overwrite some or all
saved files and settings, it can be like Russian Roulette.

Blacky
January 31st, 2009, 02:42 PM
Hey Paul, I double clicked the scan and the unknown vehicle box opens like normal. The last time when it open up the vin drop down box had nothing in it. Now it has 2G2FV22G_22xxxxxx in the drop down box. Should I just enter my orignal vin like normal or the one above or the one I have seen in my last log. Sorry for so many questions just want to get this right.

When the Scan Tool asks for the VIN like that you can just enter 1G1xxxxxxxxxxxxxx. It really doesn't matter what you enter at that point.
All the Scan Tool is looking for is the first 2 digits/letters of the VIN so it knows which enhanced PIDs to load (i.e. GM).

When the Scan Tool connects to your vehicle, it will update the selected VIN to the actual VIN from the vehicle.

Regards
Paul

esco35m
January 31st, 2009, 05:35 PM
Paul,

I don't know what happend but now it everything is working. I am so drained and happy at the same time. Everything appears to be working like normal. I wish I could tell you what I did but I really don't know. I had put in my normal vin in the scan tool and it kept giving me the demo for the tune tool. I then enter the vin#with xxxxxx and everything worked like normal. I am a little worried because if another update comes out I just have to use the vin with xxxxxxx instead of my normal vin. Thanks again for all your help and everyone else.

Blacky
January 31st, 2009, 08:04 PM
The VIN you enter for the Scan Tool has no bearing on whether the Tuning Tool goes into demo mode or not. They are two completely separate things.

The Tuning Tool goes into "demo mode" when the license details are not present or incorrect.

However, even when the license details are not present or incorrect, the demo mode can be avoided by having FlashScan connected before starting the Tuning Tool software.

Regards
Paul