PDA

View Full Version : 2008 denali and efi live?

midevil1
February 1st, 2009, 02:59 PM
OK, Correct me if I am in the wrong forum.

I have a 2008 Denali and want to buy EFI Live so I can tune it for the mods that have been done. Can someone steer me in what I need to buy to tune this truck. I have LT's with full exhaust. No cats. Vera-ram intake. Msd wires. I am pretty sure it is running lean and I want to get rid of the nose dive shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Can I do these things with EFI?

Thanks for the help and I am glad to be a member. I hope to learn alot from this site.

GMPX
February 1st, 2009, 03:30 PM
You will need to get a Wide Band O2 sensor to monitor your fuelling changes, some of our resellers offer package deals with EFILive and a WideBand O2 sensor.
But to answer your main question, yes that model vehicle can certainly be tuned with EFILive. The base package EFILive comes with 2 vehicle licenses, however, each license can be used on an ECM & TCM, so you really get 4 licenses.
Your vehicle would use one license for both the ECM (engine computer) and TCM (transmission computer). That will leave you a spare license to program another ECM and TCM from a different vehicle (like your 04).

Cheers,
Ross

midevil1
February 2nd, 2009, 11:48 AM
Can EFI Live shut off the air pressure monitor system? I have 24's and can't install air sensors in the rims and the little light is annoying. Who is the best dealer to contact about purchasing a setup? Customer service is what I am looking for. Not just someone to sell me the setup. thanks.

nevinsb
February 2nd, 2009, 12:04 PM
EFILive can not disable the air pressure detection. That is a BCM function.

GAMEOVER
February 2nd, 2009, 05:18 PM
Tech-2 is needed to turn off( or disable) the Air Pressure Monitor Sensor's....

midevil1
February 3rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
Tech-2 is needed to turn off( or disable) the Air Pressure Monitor Sensor's....

Is Tech-2 a GM Scan Tool??? GM dealer that I take it to for repairs says they can't turn it off?.

Thanks for all the help.

GAMEOVER
February 3rd, 2009, 11:16 AM
The dealer won't do it...You have to find someone who has their own:sly: Tech2

GAMEOVER
February 3rd, 2009, 11:23 AM
I know a guy who works for the border patrol and they run their tire pressure's real low (off-road driving) sensor light's are always on, till they figured out that with the TECH2 they could disable the sensor's and the light's on the dash...

midevil1
February 3rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
I know a guy who works for the border patrol and they run their tire pressure's real low (off-road driving) sensor light's are always on, till they figured out that with the TECH2 they could disable the sensor's and the light's on the dash...

Cool. I'll tell the tech this info. I just think he has not attempted to do it, so it is easy to tell people that he can't.

midevil1
February 4th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Dealership said they could not turn off tire monitoring system because it was against the law......A DOT law.:bad:

GAMEOVER
February 4th, 2009, 12:35 PM
That's why you gotta find someone besides the "Dealership" to do it.....

midevil1
February 4th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Is tech-2 available to the public? In other words, can a local shop buy this scanner? I hope tuning this truck isn't as hard as turning off a damn light!:bangin:

joecar
February 4th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Is tech-2 available to the public? In other words, can a local shop buy this scanner? I hope tuning this truck isn't as hard as turning off a damn light!:bangin:Yes, it is available, it costs something like US$2700 and up, depending on options.

midevil1
February 4th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Yes, it is available, it costs something like US$2700 and up, depending on options.

OK, thanks. I will start calling the higher end shops around here and see who I can find.

What EFI software/hardware package do I need for the 6.2L and the 6L80E? Part#? :help2:

joecar
February 4th, 2009, 03:34 PM
You will need FlashScan V2... but do check the list of supported vehicles:

http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=82

midevil1
March 15th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Does EFI supply a users manual with the Flashscan V2 package? I am ready to buy and from all the research I have been doing for the past 2 months. I am leaning toward EFI over HP. Seems like alot of frustrated users on their forum with the lack of basic users support. I was told that EFI has a 500 page manual. I don't want to burn down a 60K truck trying to make it run better!:shock:

joecar
March 15th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Yes, comes with pdf user manuals for scantool and tunetool.

http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133

Scroll down to the bottom of that link.

Also, have you installed the software yet (from the top of that link)... you can play with it (view/edit sample real logs/tunes) and pull up the user manuals... also see in the tunetool each table has a description of how it works.

GMPX
March 15th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Our user manual has fallen behind in information compared to the current release version, however the main functions on how things work in the software are certainly in there.

One thing I should mention based on your last post, the EFILive manual is not a 'how to tune' manual, we do not offer tuning support. There is a number of EFI Tuning classes held throughout the US if you wanted to go down that path. Otherwise, your options on 'how to tune' are pretty much forum support.

Cheers,
Ross

joecar
March 15th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Yes, the scantool/tunetool user manuals are just that: user manuals showing how to operate all the buttons.

There is no tuning application manual ("how to tune")...

The are some tutorials (see the AutoVE tutorial), but these assume some level of knowledge, and they are not tuning manuals.

Some books with general tuning information (available at Amazon and other placed):
- Greg Banish
- Jeff Hartman
- Ben Strader

midevil1
March 15th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I have gregs book. I have tuned my past vehicles with various other means of tuning. I just haven't played around with anything as advanced as the T43 tranny and the L92. I just want to make sure I can "use" EFI with no issue's due to ignorance.

Trust me, I will ask a ? before I change something on this truck.:)

midevil1
March 15th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Push me over the fence here.......What can EFI do with the A6 tranny? Does it do % shutoff of TM? I have heard alot of different opinions on who is doing more with this tranny. I don't want to turn TM completely off. I have already had the rear driveshaft replaced under warranty.:hihi:

GMPX
March 16th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I just haven't played around with anything as advanced as the T43 tranny and the L92. I just want to make sure I can "use" EFI with no issue's due to ignorance.You don't want the 6 speed auto to be your learning curve. They are confusing and quite easy to calibrate to cause clutch binding.
I don't want to turn you off the concept of wanting to tune your own truck, but be aware the T43 TCM is a steep learning curve for a newbie with possible dire consequences.
Yes you can turn off Torque management and get the shifts firmer / faster, but do it in small steps.

Cheers,
Ross

ScarabEpic22
March 16th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Do yourself a favor man, go to the main EFILive main page and download and install the software. There are some tune files included with the downloaded and more on www.holdencrazy.com that you can download and play around with. I agree with Ross, I would leave the T43 alone for the time being and focus on the ECM instead (think its an E38). Remember, log first for a while to get a baseline, then start making small changes. Relog the results and repeat, its not a drag race but a marathon to get it working perfectly. Im moving from P10 tuning (very different than LSx tuning) to tuning my new TrailBlazer SS with an E67/T42 combo so Im in the learning boat again with ya.

GMPX
March 17th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Im moving from P10 tuning (very different than LSx tuning) to tuning my new TrailBlazer SS with an E67/T42 combo so Im in the learning boat again with ya.I didn't notice you got a new ride, you are going to have a blast tuning the E67 over the P10.

Cheers,
Ross

ScarabEpic22
March 17th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I didn't notice you got a new ride, you are going to have a blast tuning the E67 over the P10.

Cheers,
Ross

Ha, yep just picked it up last satuday. Put like 60 miles on it, now its sitting back in Seattle in the garage until I get back from school in mid-May. Hope the E67/T42 combo will be a little easier than the P10, but still focusing on my P10 for the time being. Plus the E67 has way more parameters to mess with, this is going to be a summer of learning thats for sure!

And now I know how everyone with a V8 feels, thought I knew TQ but definitely did NOT until now! This truck is so friggin fast, Im excited to see how much more just a tune nets me!

(And Ross is going woohoo, finally he's not going to be bugging the crap outta me for more P10 stuff!!:fluffy:)

midevil1
March 17th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Give me some credit guys. I have tuned with FAST, Painless, ACCEL, and Diablo! :hihi: I am a mechanical engineer by trade for the largest Crane manu. in the world.

I will diffenately take it slow with this rig. I just want the truck to perform like it should. Not be a race truck. :)

GMPX
March 17th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Sorry, we weren't insulting you, but the T43 even leaves transmission guys scratching their heads, in fact, when you drive some of GM's vehicles with the 6 speed you have to wonder if they even know what is going on!
On the engine side you will have fun for sure, the E38 / E67 are good ECM's.

Cheers,
Ross

midevil1
March 18th, 2009, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE=GMPX;89701]Sorry, we weren't insulting you, but the T43 even leaves transmission guys scratching their heads, in fact, when you drive some of GM's vehicles with the 6 speed you have to wonder if they even know what is going on!
On the engine side you will have fun for sure, the E38 / E67 are good ECM's.

Cheers,
Ross[/QUOTE

It's funny you say that about this tranny. Can you or have you seen success with tuning out the 10 sec. pause at WOT when you stab it. It seems it takes the ECM and the TCM awhile to figure out what gear they want to select. I am not going to go crazy with the tranny. TM reduced and quicker shifts is all I am looking for. The motor is a different story. I know there is ALOT in the 6.2.:rockon: