PDA

View Full Version : Problems with efi explorer

2500HeavyDuty
February 7th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I have been way out of the loop with updating my efi program

I was looking around on the v2 and seen there was an update for the bootblock. so i updated it and it stayed in deadpoll mode all night.

i currenty have bootblock ver: 2.05.04 on the v2 and i tried downgrading the firmware to 2.05.14 but it dont do it, it stays at ver:2.05.21

and every time i try to open up the explorer now it will freeze and wont respond, unless i run it as administrator with the v2 in deadpoll mode. and i then try to change versions of the firmware and it will reboot the v2 after its done flashing the 2.05.14 version in, but everytime i look it up on the v2 it reads out 2.05.21

:help2: this is really getting on my nerves

joecar
February 7th, 2009, 06:11 PM
2500HD,

Have you read this (posts #9 and #10): showthread.php?t=9375 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=9375)

I pm'd Tech Support.

2500HeavyDuty
February 7th, 2009, 06:21 PM
You will need to download the V7.5 and V8 software from here (two downloads):
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=124

Then:
1. install V7.5 from the above downloads;
2. install V8 from the above downloads;
3. Start->All Programs->EFILive->V7.5->Tools->Check For New Update and follow the prompts, wait for it to finish updating;
4. Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->Tools->Check For New Update and follow the prompts, wait for it to finish updating;

Then: read and understand the attached document (serveral times) before upgrading your V2 bootblock/firmware...

the upgrade involves many steps, but is easy if you understand the document.

Failure to understand the document may cause you various headaches.

:)

Pay attention to this post: showthread.php?t=8834 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=8834)

after spending about an hour or two searching the forums for a solution to my problem i did come across that post and the other one in post 10.

so far i have un-instaled and re-installed the v7.5 and v8 and checked for updates after.

ill take another look at the attached document and see if i missed something.

thanks.

danny

2500HeavyDuty
February 7th, 2009, 06:27 PM
im going to try uninstalling and installing them again, i think i can try for a few more hours to figure out how to fix mistake i did

joecar
February 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Danny,

I pm'd Tech Support...

Run EE as administrator.

What firmware/bootblock versions was in V2 before you started updating...?

joecar
February 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Read this:

If you attempt to program firmware other than V2.05.14 when the boot block is V2.05.04, then your FlashScan device will fail to operate. In that case you MUST manually place FlashScan in dead-poll mode and program firmware V2.05.14 into FlashScan to recover FlashScan.
Remove the USB cable, reconnect while holding Crtl key down, now try programming firmware 2.05.14, when finished remove USB cable and reconnect it.

joecar
February 7th, 2009, 06:43 PM
If that works, then do this:

B If FlashScan has boot block V2.05.04 please perform these steps:
1. Program firmware V2.05.14 (unless V2.05.14 is already installed in your FlashScan).
2. Program boot block V2.06.02.
3. Program the highest version number firmware file from the folder:
\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Firmware

2500HeavyDuty
February 7th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Danny,

I pm'd Tech Support...

Run EE as administrator.

What firmware/bootblock versions was in V2 before you started updating...?

I was running EE as admin, that was the only way i was able to change the firmware update. i was able to change it to any version after V2.05.14, but everytime i tried to change it to V2.05.14 it would skip the memory reset and skip straight to rebooting the v2 and then HAPI would freeze and EE would not respond after that forcing me to close them.

I dont remember the last version bootblock/firmware i was running. the last time i did update it was on the old v7 updater, not using EE

Read this:

If you attempt to program firmware other than V2.05.14 when the boot block is V2.05.04, then your FlashScan device will fail to operate. In that case you MUST manually place FlashScan in dead-poll mode and program firmware V2.05.14 into FlashScan to recover FlashScan.

Every time i tried to program v2.05.14 into the v2 it would skip the reflash and just reboot the v2.

after i d/l and reinstall the v7.5 and v8 in the correct order ill try it again. it will be about 15 minutes.

thanks for the help

joecar
February 7th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Every time i tried to program v2.05.14 into the v2 it would skip the reflash and just reboot the v2.
...Danny, I pm'd Tech Support, he will get back to you (he's in a different timezone).

And welcome to the forum...:cheers:

2500HeavyDuty
February 7th, 2009, 07:02 PM
thanks joe

2500HeavyDuty
February 7th, 2009, 07:08 PM
just tried programming the firmware to the v2.05.14 again after re-installing the v7.5 and v8 and the progress bar that pops up shows "checking version" then it reboots it right after. then the EE stops respoding

ill see what else i can dig up, theres tons of info on here

Tordne
February 7th, 2009, 07:13 PM
With the 2.5+ bootblock/firmware it is no longer necessary to manually invoke deadpoll by holding down the CTRL key while applying power to the FlashScan V2. The EFILive Explorer application handles this internally. Generally now when the device is in the deadpoll mode is means that firmware needs to be applied to the FlashScan V2 (again using EFILive Explorer).

So just to understand where you are at presently:

Are you able to flash in a new bootblock? if so then the latest bootblock version is actually 2.06.02. If you are able to program this in immediately try applying the 2.06.06 firmware (latest firmware available).

2500HeavyDuty
February 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM
With the 2.5+ bootblock/firmware it is no longer necessary to manually invoke deadpoll by holding down the CTRL key while applying power to the FlashScan V2. The EFILive Explorer application handles this internally. Generally now when the device is in the deadpoll mode is means that firmware needs to be applied to the FlashScan V2 (again using EFILive Explorer).

So just to understand where you are at presently:

Are you able to flash in a new bootblock? if so then the latest bootblock version is actually 2.06.02. If you are able to program this in immediately try applying the 2.06.06 firmware (latest firmware available).

i will try to update the bootblock v2.06.02 right now, currently my firmware version is v2.05.21 and bootblock v2.05.4

Tordne
February 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Good luck!

2500HeavyDuty
February 7th, 2009, 07:25 PM
whenever i am running EE the HAPI will stop responding as soon as i power up the v2

the only way this wont happen is if i power it up in deadpoll mode.

so right now i am not able to flash in a new bootblock version.

Tordne
February 7th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Does V2 boot normally (i.e. gets to the main menu) when powered on? Is it worth perhaps trying on a different PC?

I think this is going to require guidance from Paul - I'll email him a link to the thread also.

2500HeavyDuty
February 7th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Does V2 boot normally (i.e. gets to the main menu) when powered on? Is it worth perhaps trying on a different PC?

I think this is going to require guidance from Paul - I'll email him a link to the thread also.

Yes the v2 starts up normally and functions like if nothing was wrong with it. i can scroll through the menus and look up the license and versions it has programmed into it.

ill see if i can get ahold of another pc to try upgrading it on tomorrow.

Blacky
February 7th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Here's the thing...

Boot block V2.05.04 requires firmware V2.05.14 due to the two software modules (boot block and firmware) making calls into each others' program area. If you have a later version firmware than 2.05.14 in the unit then when it attempts to call routines in the boot block, it will fail.

Under standalone conditions the V2 firmware does not call back into the boot block so it appears to work correctly, but because the USB comms is located in the boot block, as soon as you attempt to communicate with the V2 using a PC it attempts to execute code in the boot block code and fails because the USB routines are not located in the same area of the boot block where the V2.05.21 firmware "thinks" they are.

The solution is to program the V2.05.14 firmware back into the FlashScan device.
The problem with that solution is, that the V2.05.04 boot block, which is responsible for reprogramming the firmware will not allow an older version of firmware to be programmed over the top of a later version. I.e. you can't program V2.05.14 if the V2 already contains V2.05.21 (and the internal version counter/flag has been updated). That is why it says "checking version" and just reboots.

In limited circumstances the V2 could be programmed back to V2.05.14, the circumstance being that the boot block had not yet updated its internal software version counter. Unfortunately it appears your unit has already updated its internal version counter to V2.05.21 and will not allow the old firmware to be programmed back in.

The only option now is to return your V2 to EFILive and we can reprogram it using our external programming equipment. There is no charge for that, except for shipping it to EFILive and back to you.

If you are located in the US, please ship it to Ira at Fish Tuning in CA. His contact details are on our resellers web page.

Regards
Paul

joecar
February 8th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Here is Ira (http://forum.efilive.com/member.php?u=416)'s details (see contact info).

2500HeavyDuty
February 8th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Here is Ira (http://forum.efilive.com/member.php?u=416)'s details (see contact info).

thanks, ive already contacted ira, v2 is being shipped tomorrow.

he wouldn't need the cables to go with it does he?

Stealth97
March 2nd, 2009, 04:20 PM
I'm having the same issues and would like some information. I'm having a very similar issue and will start a new thread.

Ira
March 4th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I can usually fix this problem without opening up the unit. Mostly because I have almost every version of the firmware and bootblock files ever released and certain version are missing whatever is checked to stop going backwards. When the next unit with this problem shows up, I will document the steps and versions necessary to recover from this problem.

I thought I was expecting a problem unit today but it never showed up. So hopefully I'll have this in the next few days.

Ira

joecar
March 5th, 2009, 08:04 AM
thanks, ive already contacted ira, v2 is being shipped tomorrow.

he wouldn't need the cables to go with it does he?No, no cables.