PDA

View Full Version : LMM EGT Probes

Cougar281
February 7th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Dumb question for Ross and Paul. The LBZ and LMM ECM's are the same family right (I thought they where the same hardware with different software, but I seem to recall Ross saying that the hardware was differnet)? Would it be possible, once you guys finish development of the DSP OS for the LBZ, to connect the LMM EGT probes to the LBZ ECM and be able to see the PIDs like the LMM? I looked at the schematics, and the pins used for the EGT probes in the LMM are not used in the LBZ ECM.

GMPX
February 8th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I think it could work, the LBZ OS's still have the EGT processing code in them, I'll add it on the 'look in to it' list :)

Cheers,
Ross

Cougar281
February 8th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I think it could work, the LBZ OS's still have the EGT processing code in them, I'll add it on the 'look in to it' list :)

Cheers,
Ross

Cool :good:

bballer182
February 22nd, 2009, 04:37 PM
Oh yeah way cool! seriously COOL!

rcr1978
February 24th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Not being a jerk but why LMM pids they are not any better are you thinking of adding the stock temp probes on the dfp to the exhaust mainifold or after the turbo for egts? I'm not sure they will even last?

Cougar281
February 24th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Not being a jerk but why LMM pids they are not any better are you thinking of adding the stock temp probes on the dfp to the exhaust mainifold or after the turbo for egts? I'm not sure they will even last?

The point is not to have LMM PIDs; there's nothing special about them over LBZ. The point is being able to log EGTs through the ECM (Left/Right bank, or Pre/Post turbo, for example). If they can stand up to the Regen temps (That require the "Intercooler" tip to preven spontaneous combustion of anything near the exahust exit), I'd think they could stand up to normal EGTs, especially if you're talking about a well tuned truck that pushes 1200-1400 max.

I'm no OS engineer, and certainly don't have Ross's expertiese, but I'd think that since the hardware is similar, and the LBZ OS has the "drivers" for the EGT probes, it shouldn't be hard to turn them on.

rcr1978
February 24th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I have thought about what you want to achieve it would be neat to log egt's if they last, I got looking at them a while back but they have a weird fitting that they thread into so I said the hell with it. Another thing that would be neat would be to use the diff press sensor for drive pressure but I doubt the sensor is made for 60+ psi and I'm sure it would really piss the ecm off seeing that kind of differential.

bballer182
February 26th, 2009, 01:21 PM
The point is not to have LMM PIDs; there's nothing special about them over LBZ. The point is being able to log EGTs through the ECM (Left/Right bank, or Pre/Post turbo, for example). If they can stand up to the Regen temps (That require the "Intercooler" tip to preven spontaneous combustion of anything near the exahust exit), I'd think they could stand up to normal EGTs, especially if you're talking about a well tuned truck that pushes 1200-1400 max.

I'm no OS engineer, and certainly don't have Ross's expertiese, but I'd think that since the hardware is similar, and the LBZ OS has the "drivers" for the EGT probes, it shouldn't be hard to turn them on.

exactly:cucumber:

MMLMM
February 28th, 2009, 05:32 PM
orange plugs *cough* *cough*

:grin:

rcr1978
March 1st, 2009, 03:38 AM
If, you guys have some good info on this why not share it? Like what kind of fitting you used to install these?

GMPX
March 1st, 2009, 10:01 AM
Actually, I never asked the simple question, when you validate the PID's on an LBZ, do you get the option to view the EGT sensors? If the answer is no then there is your answer, it's not supported by the ECM.

Cougar281
March 1st, 2009, 11:23 AM
Actually, I never asked the simple question, when you validate the PID's on an LBZ, do you get the option to view the EGT sensors? If the answer is no then there is your answer, it's not supported by the ECM.

No, haven't done that... Maybe someone could try it; I won't be able to until I get new LBZ/LMM ECM connectors.

I don't know about the GM world, but in the Ford world, there are some things that can be turned on and off via SCT's software that result in PIDs being added or removed (Knock sensors being one of them). If the same thing's true in the GM world, then it could be possible for the ECM to support it, but the function just is "Turned off".

bballer182
March 2nd, 2009, 04:47 PM
How could i validate the EGT pids on the LBZ controller. wouldn't you need the LMM pmm file to match too?

GMPX
March 2nd, 2009, 11:54 PM
I don't know about the GM world, but in the Ford world, there are some things that can be turned on and off via SCT's software that result in PIDs being added or removed (Knock sensors being one of them). If the same thing's true in the GM world, then it could be possible for the ECM to support it, but the function just is "Turned off". Generally not with GM, they instead have a table of PID numbers that jump to the supporting routine. I am surprised FORD do that, it just means they are not short on flash space!

How could i validate the EGT pids on the LBZ controller. wouldn't you need the LMM pmm file to match too?
If you try it on your laptop / PC first then the scantool will check every possible PID for support on the ECM.

Cheers,
Ross

bballer182
March 3rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
I edited the options.txt to use the lmm.pmm instead of lbz.pmm and added EGT2A and 1A and they did not validate in both the use of lmm.pmm and lbz.pmm.

so that pretty much means it's not gunna happen huh?...

bballer182
March 7th, 2009, 09:01 AM
??? any suggestions?

Blacky
March 8th, 2009, 08:11 AM
so that pretty much means it's not gunna happen huh?...
Correct. I don't have any suggestions on how to make it work.
Paul

Blacky
March 8th, 2009, 08:13 AM
The only other option would to hook temp sensors directly p to FlashScan's two thermocouple inputs. Those inputs can read up to 1024 degC (1875 degF).

Regards
Paul

GMPX
March 8th, 2009, 11:21 AM
You can't connect the LMM EGT sensors to Flashscan, they are resistive.

Cheers,
Ross

Blacky
March 8th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I meant temp sensors that FlashScan supports :)
Paul

bballer182
March 9th, 2009, 01:25 AM
yeah i know k type

Cougar281
April 2nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
Ross, I just connected to my LBZ ECM, and did a Validate PIDs. After validating the PIDs, There's a "CATEMP1" and CATEMP2" (Catalyst Temperature Bank 1 - Sensor 1 & 2). There is no "Exahust Temperature" PID in the list (that I could find) in the V7 tool for LBZ or LMM. Under the BBL PIDs, there's EGT1A and EGT2A under the LMM PIDs, and CATEMP11 and CATEMP12 under the LBZ PIDs. Before I go steal a probe from a friend that has a de-DPF'd LMM, do you think the CATEMP PIDs are for the EGT Pins on the ECM?

bballer182
April 4th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Ross, I just connected to my LBZ ECM, and did a Validate PIDs. After validating the PIDs, There's a "CATEMP1" and CATEMP2" (Catalyst Temperature Bank 1 - Sensor 1 & 2). There is no "Exahust Temperature" PID in the list (that I could find) in the V7 tool for LBZ or LMM. Under the BBL PIDs, there's EGT1A and EGT2A under the LMM PIDs, and CATEMP11 and CATEMP12 under the LBZ PIDs. Before I go steal a probe from a friend that has a de-DPF'd LMM, do you think the CATEMP PIDs are for the EGT Pins on the ECM?

you know i saw those too... And was wondering about them. I'm sure they are linked to pins but the LBZ never had cat temp sensors and the LMM didn't either?

GMPX
April 5th, 2009, 10:16 AM
CATEMP1 & CATEMP2 are SAE defined PID's, the ECM must support them.

GM.EGT1A & GM.EGT2A are specific PID's in the Bosch ECM for the EGT probe temps. I actually don't know if they produce the same numbers as the SAE PID's (I would doubt it).

If on the LBZ GM.EGT1A & GM.EGT2A don't validate then GM probably have the PID disabled. Now, it might be possible to enable it as a valid PID, but that does not mean it will work still, there might be some underlying tables that need to be set up to make the EGT probes come to life.

I've got some probes here I can hook up and see if I can make the LBZ ECM read them. I'm 99% sure it will be possible to make them work because the EDC16 ECM's all have the DPF processing code in them.

What OS are you guys running? I'd like to concentrate on one only during testing.

Cheers,
Ross

bballer182
April 5th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Operating System 12606128
Engine Operations 12606145

bballer182
April 5th, 2009, 02:54 PM
6128 seems to be the most common
4138 is a little older and not so common
6698 is newer (i think) and i haven't seen it around much

GMPX
April 5th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I spent 4 hrs on this today and still I can't get the PID to validate on the LBZ ECM, typical Bosch frustration.

bballer182
April 6th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I spent 4 hrs on this today and still I can't get the PID to validate on the LBZ ECM, typical Bosch frustration.

Oh wow! Im sure you already know but does it make it any easier to know which pins are associated with the EGT probes?

Off Topic
BTW i read somewhere you were going to be releasing some MAF tables for the LBZ? Does that include fuel limiting tables related to the MAF?

GMPX
April 6th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I know the EGT pins, the quest is to make the LBZ ECM allow the EGT PID's to be validated.

Yes, we have been working on some more tables for the Bosch ECM. One of them is the MAF flow table for the frequency style MAF's.

Cheers,
Ross