Thread: problem with data logging and dashboards

Default problem with data logging and dashboards

Hi there,

I tried to get some needed PID's in a pid file and log them. With a few unexpected effects:
    .. As far as I understood the data logging stuff its a matter of creating a pid file and a fitting dash to display the choosen parameters. When editing a dashpage I saw background colours of gauges changing and other things didn't stay as I stored them in the dashboard file. I am using the latest version (built 80)

did anybody else have similar problems?

Then next thing after creating a dashboard for the pid file ( same names so the dash loads when I open the PID file..) I cannot log any data. No paramaters where read the gauges don't changes their values. ( and I am really connected to the vehicle.)
    I created three different sets of pid files with their dash pages and I can only log data with one of the three, although I am sure I did the same steps with every file....
    Is there something I could have missed??

Harald
    If nobody has done it before, somebody has to do it....

1997 Tahoe 2dr 4WD
    2002 Alfa Romeo Sportswagon 2.0 JTD
    1982 Deutz Intrac 2004A
    2003 friesian Horse " Henry"

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

View the [F6 Console] tab page while starting the data logging, it will display what EFILive is doing in the background. Maybe a message that it displays will help you to see where the problem is.

While editing gauges, the background color is controlled by the values set in the [Alarms] tab page of the PID property editor window. If for example the alarm min value was set to 10 and the gauge was showing zero,then the background would be green. If the alarm max value was 50 and the gauge was showing 60, then the background would be red.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Default logging and gauges

Thx Paul for the hint. The gauges definition was ok. You were right, the Min / Max values had different background colours. I have to spend more time with the dash pages and definitions to get used to it. Sorry, this was a silly thing.

The other thing that I cannot log data is more strange. I tested some default PID files and the corresponding dash (for example: defaultLS2imperial...)
    and I get an error message.
    Here is what F6 shows

To be on the save side I removed EFIlive from my laptop, downloaded the latest version again, installed it and installed the latest built 80. I didn't test it, I will do this tomorrow.

Harald
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	requestoor.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	4717  

1997 Tahoe 2dr 4WD
    1982 Deutz Intrac 2004A

The PID STATE14 is not supported on the E38 controller.

When you started logging, you should have received a message indicating that one or more PIDs were not supported. In that case, the logging will usually not start.

You should run the PID validation option: Info->Validate PIDs after connecting to a vehicle for the first time.

That will correctly flag each PID as supported or unsupported for the target controller.

In the PID selection list on the [F8 PIDs] tab page, there is a "Supported" check box. Make sure it is checked so that you will only see and select the PIDs that are supported for the connected controller.

Regards
    Paul

Default Thanks a lot Paul

Paul, you were correct..... after some checks a finally got some PID file and dash pages which work for me. Once you know the trick it isn't that hard at all.

Let's say I had some first timer troubles and I didn't read the manual very accurat... learning by doing....

I like to say thank you to Paul and Ross for all their kind help.....

( by the way did you make any progress in the 4wdlo signal / message corner??)

Thanks again

Harald

you can see my progress in the T42 and Gen IV section

1997 Tahoe 2dr 4WD
    1982 Deutz Intrac 2004A

Quote Originally Posted by harascho View Post
    ( by the way did you make any progress in the 4wdlo signal / message corner??)
    I don't recall what that was about, can you please refresh my memory?
    Regards
    Paul

Hi Paul,

the whole strory is in http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=9960
    I think Ross gave us a hand or two... or three...

the summary is: we have a conversion with 2007 components, 5.3 LMG, 4L60E, E38 / T42 controllers and the '07 BCM. It went into a 1997 Tahoe 2dr 4wd with a NP241 TC. I kept the TC and got a matching set of tunes (BCM, TCM, ECM) from a 4wd 2007 Tahoe/Yukon.

The problem is to tell the E38 in which mode the TC is. With a 4wd tune in the T42 2hi isn't working, the E38 thinks it is in 4wdlo all the time. with a 2wd tune in the T42 2hi is fine, but 4wdlo isn't working.

Finally we came down to a 2wd tune in the E38 and T42 to get the AFM working (wrong TC state, 4wdlo on where the inhibiting conditions for V4 mode..).
    But this way the tranny isn't shifting in 4wdlo. The E38 has a 4wdlo input (C1,2) which seems to be not the complete thing to tell in which mode the TC is. There might be some more CAN messages that tell the E38 about the TC mode..... but you will find this all and some more thoughts in that thread.

Harald

1997 Tahoe 2dr 4WD
    1982 Deutz Intrac 2004A