Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 5.3 "LMG" swap, getting a E38 started, fuel economy

Default did some logs and advanced the high octan table

ok, I advanced the high octan spark table by +5deg (Spark_1)throughout the table and set B5157 to 0. I also added the octan scaler to my PID list.

First run was with the +5deg setting

Second run another +3 degree (Spark_2) added to the high octan table. (total +8deg)

I have to admit that the second run had a little more load on the engine, I had to drive up a longer hill.
    The summary is about 3deg KR and about 6 deg KR in the two runs.
    I watched the KR map but I am still not able to interpret that cell counts. Is each count a knock retard? knock retard by xx deg?
    The octan scaler was 0 . That means I was running the values of the high octan table all the time.

How should I proceed? reduce spark advance in certain cells..?

Harald
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If nobody has done it before, somebody has to do it....

1997 Tahoe 2dr 4WD
    2002 Alfa Romeo Sportswagon 2.0 JTD
    1982 Deutz Intrac 2004A
    2003 friesian Horse " Henry"

I watched the KR map but I am still not able to interpret that cell counts. Is each count a knock retard? knock retard by xx deg?
    Harald,

Regarding the KR map: don't view cell counts... instead view cell maximum values.

Joe

Default cell counts

I have no idea how to change from cell counts to max values....

the maps properties don't show the max values.
    Then next question, if I see the max values...which should I consider too high and retard the timing in that cell in the high octan table..

harald

1997 Tahoe 2dr 4WD
    1982 Deutz Intrac 2004A

Default display type

I only see ( if I switch on the display type) the average values of the cells. That's what the name of the map says.

But if I take a look at the cells it must be the counts, 'cause values from 2000 - 4000 in some cells won't be the average KR retard in deg..

Harald

1997 Tahoe 2dr 4WD
    1982 Deutz Intrac 2004A

ok... got it..... don't read my last two posts......trial and error I finally gave that map commands a close look..... I am stupid..;-)

max values are around 6 in two cells..... which level in some cells is acceptable? The tables empty count is 10. I only have 13 cells with some knock retard at all....

I should start a better test run tomorrow.

When I have a better log..the only thing left is should I adjust the spark table to no KR or is some KR acceptable?

Harald

1997 Tahoe 2dr 4WD
    1982 Deutz Intrac 2004A

There's an up arrow symbol next to the X and the N on the map page, it says "show maximum cell values". Click that and it will show you the max KR in each cell. There was a ton of KR in the second log. 6.6 degrees, that's too much, back off on those cells at least 4 degrees and see what happens. It's mostly at 1400 and 1600rpm, you might also help keep some of that from happening by raising shift points a little to keep it from lugging down when you're pulling grades.

Yeah, just looked some more, it looks like you're in 4th gear at 40mph, that's too low (IMO). That poor thing is trying to accelerate from 1300 rpm in 4th gear. Even at 18 degrees it was getting 6 degrees knock retard. Raise all your upshift and downshift speeds (and TCC), you can try 5mph as a ballpark number for starters.

Oh and the octane scaler was incrementing, it was at .375 towards that end of the second log, that's almost half way into the low octane table. That's why it's a good idea to keep the low table stock while you're messing with the high oct table.

Hope that didn't sound like I was picking on you, we all know the learning curve is steep, you're doing great and most of all you're having fun!
    Last edited by gmtech16450yz; February 27th, 2009 at 12:24 PM.

no KR or is some KR acceptable?
    An occasional 1 or even 2 degrees isn't terrible, if you notice they're always in a particular cell then just back off on that cell a degree or two. 6 degrees is too much.

Try this dashpage, it might help if you see what's happening in this view...

(It didn't want to let me post a .vdp file, change the extension back to .vdp and it should work)

Default more logs..

gmtech16450yz, you are a good teacher with your input I am able to proceed.. step by step.

I was playing with the shift points and TCC apply / release rpm's to get the big KR values at the low rpm side smaller.

Here are some logs I did with the modified settings. I also started to retard the high octan table in the area were the KR is still a little high, but I think I will be close or below the original settings to reduce the KR enough ???

Harald
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	timing_map_1.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	260.2 KB 
ID:	4799   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	high_octan_org.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	478.4 KB 
ID:	4802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	high_octan_spark4.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	478.9 KB 
ID:	4803  

1997 Tahoe 2dr 4WD
    1982 Deutz Intrac 2004A

gmtech16450yz, you are a good teacher with your input I am able to proceed
    Thanks for the compliment, I try. Every tech that's worked next to me for the last 25 years has thanked me for all they've learned from me so I must be doing something right!

Try this in your high octane table... (from the settings you had when you did that last log)
    In the 1200 rpm row, reduce cells .20 through .40 by 3 degrees.
    In the 1400 rpm row, reduce cells .20 through .48 by 3 degrees.
    In the 1600 rpm row, reduce cells .32 through .56 by 4 degrees, except for cell .36, reduce that one by 5 degrees.
    In the 1800 rpm row, reduce cells .44 and .48 by 3 degrees, and .52 and .56 by 2 degrees.
    In the 2000 rpm row, reduce cells .52 and .56 by 2 degrees, and .60 by 4 degrees.
    In 2200 reduce .60 by 2 degrees.

Get it?

BTW, your timing/ KR map is not reading properly, do you have the map column as "APCYL_DMA"? Did that dashpage I posted work for you? When you look at it in that view you can really see what's happening with the KR, lots of jagged blue lines that look like mountains are not good! That octane scaler line should stay pretty flat too.

Hope that helps.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast