Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: procharged 383 with '96 efi only runs 14's @ 96

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default procharged 383 with '96 efi only runs 14's @ 96

hey guys! I'm new to the forum and very green on efi, so some well intended guidance will be greatly appreciated. I've got a '96 c1500 that I stroked and poked to 383ci. Without boring you guys I'll try to list as many details of my combination as possible. I think my biggest problem is the stock ecm and stock fuel injection( spider style sfi). I'm thinking of converting to a blow-through carb setup, but maybe you guys can help me out first.

3/4 ton 4 bolt block
    scat steel crank
    eagle h-beam rods
    hypereutectic slugs (9:1 cr)
    edelbrock e-tec heads 170cc
    small cam 110/120@.050 .513 lift
    fully rollerized valvetrain
    jet maf
    bbk 85mm tb
    procharger p1sc w/intercooler 7lbs of boost
    th400 trans. w/2200 stall
    gearvendors over/underdrive
    .410:1 final drive
    mickey thompson et streets 28"

My truck has run a best of 14.0@96 elev. 2200'. It weighs 5000lbs.
    I had it tuned by the best guy in my small northern canadian town. (He's the only guy! LOL) Shouldn't it be quicker? One guy posting here says his fullsize 4x4 is running 12's with a v6!!!I know my heads and cam are small but the truck tows my ski boat and my camper at the same time so big horsepower parts won't really work. Sorry i left little to no info on my pcm tune but like I said @ the start of the post... I don't know s#!t about the laptop tuning!
    Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thank you in advance.

What was the 60' time? 96mph is low for this combo but it does weigh 5000 lbs.

Do you own EFI Live? Any tune can be made better. Lets get started.

If you are running the stock 1996 PCM, EFI Live won't tune it. Did you update to the newer 0411 PCM? If you haven't it would be a good idea since Boost is accounted for. If so post the file.
    Al
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

Thanks for taking the time to help guys. The guy who tuned my truck uses superchips software. He is a technician at a local GM dealership so I assume he knows his stuff. To ChipsByAl, please tell me a little about the 0411 pcm. Yes I am still using the stock pcm, it has no fuel/timing maps above 5500 rpm. If I do upgrade my pcm will my puny 19lb injectors keep up to more rpm? On the 60' time, my local track is really rundown so no 60's or 660's. I can only guess and that won't help!

the PPE forum will be a great asset if you're modding an L31 vortec.
    http://www.pacificp.com/forum/index.php

read the two stickies for info about the 411 pcm swap, and if you're interested in upgrading your 19# poppets to some real injectors then read the other sticky about the marine intake manifold swap. good stuff over there. I've done both the 411 pcm swap, as well as something simmilar to the marine intake MPFI and would highly suggest both.

if you're tune isn't very good, then that is very possibly a majority of the problem...do you know what your injector duty cycle is? you may be running out of fuel too with that 19pph drip system from GM.
    1996 c1500 gen1e 5.7L - the "LS31", 24x CNP, LS2 coils, modified T56, 12200411PCM running COS3, zz4 cam, custom MPFI, etc. coming soon: Twin Turbos

Mr. Aloicious.

You have shed light where there was only darkness. The marine intake and 411 pcm may be exactly what I need. Thanks so much for the info. No-one up here( Prince George, Can. ) is running high horse efi set ups so reliable information is hard to come by. I'll keep you posted on my progress!

tommy, welcome to the forum...

do the 411 swap i did it in like 4 hours with a little planning bought computer and connectors from local scrape yard for $150
    97 2500 ecsb 5.7l/4l80e/4x4 411 pcm /thorley tri-y's/dual super 40's with x (catless)/aem cai/msd 6a and coil/zz4 cam/beehive spring/lm-1

stock sucks

Thanks to all for the insight. I made some calls to local wreckers and I can't beleive how cheap the 411 pcm is! Would it be helpful to pull the wire harness off of the donor vehicle, and if so, what vehicle/engine should I look for.

Thanks again to all!

Quote Originally Posted by tommytooslow View Post
    Thanks to all for the insight. I made some calls to local wreckers and I can't beleive how cheap the 411 pcm is! Would it be helpful to pull the wire harness off of the donor vehicle, and if so, what vehicle/engine should I look for.

Thanks again to all!
    maybe only for the the couple of pins you'll need to splice in. but that would be the only use for it, so it doesn't matter what vehicle it comes from and you would only need like 12" of the harness.

PM the member named 'lextech' here, or over on the PPE forums and he can get you the pinout spreadsheet for your year. like tokymon said, its pretty simple. just pull 1 wire at a time from the old harness and put it in the new, if you pull more than that you can get lost and screw up real easy, that could make a 4 hour job into a 80+ hour job trying to find and fix errors.
    1996 c1500 gen1e 5.7L - the "LS31", 24x CNP, LS2 coils, modified T56, 12200411PCM running COS3, zz4 cam, custom MPFI, etc. coming soon: Twin Turbos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast