Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: procharged 383 with '96 efi only runs 14's @ 96

Instead of the marine intake, why don't you look at the tunnel ram. A member here is offering them for a good deal (less than the marine). His name begins with a C and he drives a white truck. I think his username is like CMH or something like that but I can't remember. Look around, he posts often.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth97 View Post
    Instead of the marine intake, why don't you look at the tunnel ram. A member here is offering them for a good deal (less than the marine). His name begins with a C and he drives a white truck. I think his username is like CMH or something like that but I can't remember. Look around, he posts often.
    like a carb tunnel ram? or like a vortec ramjet? a ramjet would be sweet.
    1996 c1500 gen1e 5.7L - the "LS31", 24x CNP, LS2 coils, modified T56, 12200411PCM running COS3, zz4 cam, custom MPFI, etc. coming soon: Twin Turbos

Quote Originally Posted by Aloicious View Post
    like a carb tunnel ram? or like a vortec ramjet? a ramjet would be sweet.
    I meant like the Vortec RamJet. A member here offers them. His name might be CCOE or something. I'm trying to remember. I'll search around.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth97 View Post
    I meant like the Vortec RamJet. A member here offers them. His name might be CCOE or something. I'm trying to remember. I'll search around.
    sweet, ramjets are nice, thats something to look into.
    1996 c1500 gen1e 5.7L - the "LS31", 24x CNP, LS2 coils, modified T56, 12200411PCM running COS3, zz4 cam, custom MPFI, etc. coming soon: Twin Turbos

do the 411 swap i did it in like 4 hours with a little planning bought computer and connectors from local scrape yard for $150
    97 2500 ecsb 5.7l/4l80e/4x4 411 pcm /thorley tri-y's/dual super 40's with x (catless)/aem cai/msd 6a and coil/zz4 cam/beehive spring/lm-1

stock sucks

Thanks to all for the insight. I made some calls to local wreckers and I can't beleive how cheap the 411 pcm is! Would it be helpful to pull the wire harness off of the donor vehicle, and if so, what vehicle/engine should I look for.

Thanks again to all!

Quote Originally Posted by tommytooslow View Post
    Thanks to all for the insight. I made some calls to local wreckers and I can't beleive how cheap the 411 pcm is! Would it be helpful to pull the wire harness off of the donor vehicle, and if so, what vehicle/engine should I look for.

Thanks again to all!
    maybe only for the the couple of pins you'll need to splice in. but that would be the only use for it, so it doesn't matter what vehicle it comes from and you would only need like 12" of the harness.

PM the member named 'lextech' here, or over on the PPE forums and he can get you the pinout spreadsheet for your year. like tokymon said, its pretty simple. just pull 1 wire at a time from the old harness and put it in the new, if you pull more than that you can get lost and screw up real easy, that could make a 4 hour job into a 80+ hour job trying to find and fix errors.

Quote Originally Posted by tommytooslow View Post

Thanks again to all!
    The 12200411 Needs a 2001-2002 L31 V8 4L60E powered Xpress Van operating system and tune file installed into it. The 12200411 did not come stock with this file but can easily be put into it. I use a software different than EFI Live to tune other users computers because it is not VIN locked. EFI Live is a far superior product however, and is supported far better and is far more advanced. Blacky has done a great job! EFI Live unlimited tune is a reasonable price for a tuner/shop. This other software was just VERY inexpensive for the DIY user and so I bought one.

A few other problems if you try to use the Xpress Van PCM straight out of the Van and into your truck. I'll list what I remember but read that PA & A sticky.

1. Must disable VATS via programming. I did this for 11 people and sent out PCM's in the past. I live in Los Angeles. You anywhere close?
    2. You must change the alternator something in the PCM programming to be correct and not throw a code.
    3. You must turn off some emissions codes as your truck will have less emissions equipment than the van (applies to 96-97). 98-99 I'm not sure because they MIGHT come with the extra tank pressure sensor and correct wiring for the extra smog equipment. They do come with extra wiring and the tank pressure sensor but I'm not sure if all the emissions equipment passes all the OBDII checks. If you use EFI Live and under Diagnostic Checks you would see what I mean.

You don't need the wiring harness from the donor vehicle, but a cut off harness with 1 foot of wire is HELPFUL. If not, you need to source some of your own wire.

You also need some of the pins and a crimper. If you get your PCM with 1 foot of wire it solves a lot of problems. I'll explain.

1. You get the connectors. Bonus. Red and Blue are preferred but Green will work just fine, don't sweat the small shit, just snip off the little tab and don't put it in reverse on the colors (Worst thing that happens is a blown 20A fuse, I tried it on purpose for you guys already!).
    2. You get lots and lots of 1 foot wire pieces and it is the correct GM TXL TGL etc. automotive wire. Very expensive. I buy mine from www.eficonnection.com also a member here who also drives a badass Chevy and is now offering SICK SICK SICK innovative parts for L31's! Very advanced stuff so hang around awhile and you and Michael will become good friends. Got a third gen camaro? He does those too.
    3. So you take your 1 foot wire pieces out with the attached crimp ends already on by GM. Bonus, less crimping for you. All you do is splice the wire at the 1 foot mark and run with it. Buy your wire from Mike. What I did was leave the wire long and temped everything in and made sure it worked. Then I went back and carefully removed just the temp wires one at a time and carefully crimped them so I would NEVER have to worry that I was in a giddy hurry and one crimp might ever come loose or some nonsense. I've got 20k on my 12200411 and daily driving it on a RoadRunner by Craig Moates. www.moates.com.

The RoadRunner is a NICE piece of equipment. Buy it and all the software to control it (both versions IMHO, I own everything, hint hint hint). You'll spend $2,500 but in the end you'll love screwing with the programming GM created. And you'll tune your buddies Vette down the block, and your kids GTO. Etc.

Sorry for the long winded post, but you seem interested. Had to catch you up to speed a bit.

Stealth

Edit: Pretty sure I've got both current spreadsheets for the 96-97 and 98-99 trucks.

Stealth is right on the money on all that stuff. Mike from EFI connection is a good guy who is very familiar with the 411 swap, so if you need various parts he can get them for you.

also, Stealth, unless you've kept in touch with Jeff, I don't think you've got the most current '96-97 files, I don't have them either. since your day over at the ppe forums we identified and fixed an EGR wiring issue with the 411 on the '96 and I think an A/C wiring issue too. we also found some subtle differences between the '96 and '97 years so IIRC there is separate files for the '96 and '97 years now. just FYI if you weren't already aware.

also, like Stealth mentioned earlier, there are alternatives to the marine intake, that you may want to investigate as well. like the ramjet seen here on a '98 truck:

or you can convert most any manifold made for vortec heads, like mine is a modified TBI intake for vortec heads that was modified for MPFI, and to keep all the stock vortec emissions equipment and Tb, etc, here's a pic of it:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast