Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gm

Default Gm

I'm not sure if I need to post this here or somewhere else, everybody probably knows that GM sent out a bulletin on how to use a tech 2 to find out if a vehicle has been programed. that bulletin also says that if it has been programed with anything it voids warranty bumper to bumper.

CWR, do you have a copy of the TSB...?

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    CWR, do you have a copy of the TSB...?
    X's 2
    2008 2WD Ext.Cab Silverado 1500 6.0 V-MAX E38(L76) & T42(4L70E) MAF Only CL Corvette Servo AFE CAI INNOVATIVE LM-2 WBO2

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

How can programming the ECM void the warranty of your mirror falling off, your steering wheel stitching coming out? Seems a bit extreme, unless you meant it voids all drivetrain warranty?

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

gmpx, I thought the same thing but I work at a dealership and we have had to void warranty on 2 trucks so far. and yes for some reason it does void warranty bumper to bumper even under 36k miles. I think its stupid. I usually don't try to find out if the truck has a programer or has been programed with anything else when I'm diaging them. the trucks the warranty got voided on blew the tips off the injectors. they were both diesels.

joecar, Ill see if the service manager will print it off for me today. The only thing that changes on the program ID is an * is added when programed. so I'm told

CWR, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CWR View Post
    gmpx, I thought the same thing but I work at a dealership and we have had to void warranty on 2 trucks so far. and yes for some reason it does void warranty bumper to bumper even under 36k miles. I think its stupid. I usually don't try to find out if the truck has a programer or has been programed with anything else when I'm diaging them. the trucks the warranty got voided on blew the tips off the injectors. they were both diesels.

joecar, Ill see if the service manager will print it off for me today. The only thing that changes on the program ID is an * is added when programed. so I'm told
    Am I correct in stating that the two warranties cancelled were diesels? Last time I talked to the master tech @ a Chevy store he assured me that if I bring my 08 Corvette in with a reflashed stock tune, he could not tell nor was he away of a way to tell it had been flashed by me.
    2015 Z06 A8

Quote Originally Posted by CWR View Post

GM could wind up getting sued if they do this. It is against the law. They can not void a warranty because of a tuner or different tune. They can refuse to repair something on warranty if they can prove that the failure occured as a direct result of the non factory alteration.
    Read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    Am I correct in stating that the two warranties cancelled were diesels? Last time I talked to the master tech @ a Chevy store he assured me that if I bring my 08 Corvette in with a reflashed stock tune, he could not tell nor was he away of a way to tell it had been flashed by me.
    Yes they were both diesels. I have seen one vet that would could verify a reflash even though it was stock, but it was programed with ls1 edit. I programed one of the other techs trucks "5.7 camed, procharged, and a 4l80" I'll double check with his truck on being able to see efilive tunes. Its not looking at the things changed to the computer it just puts an * next to the ID. I'll get the tsb and post soon.

Good lord its groundhog day... this bulletin is ooooold and its not a bumper to bumper warranty void that would be 100% illegal under magnuson moss plus a failure would have to be PROVED IN COURT to have been caused by the tune (or aftermarket part) if someone wanted to persue it.
    Chris White
    www.GTOShiftLight.com
    2006 Spice Red A4 GTO
    2009 3LZ Z06
    2012 Jeep SRT8
    2013 SRX Premium
    2013 XTS Platinum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast