Thread: 01 5.3 lm7

Default 01 5.3 lm7

Working on tuning first gasser, done many diesels and trying to expand into the gas world. Neighbor has a 01 5.3 LM7 and I have a thousand questions but I think I understand which tables to use and work with.
    I dont have a WB to work with yet. So I believe the autove setup is not going to do me much good at this point. I think without the WB I am shooting from the hip a little bit here.

I posted my current tune and log and looking for ideas of any sort to make it work without a wb. The increase in speed and rpms is due to some gravel on the payment.

When it comes to getting a WB setup, where do I start? It looks like there are a ton of different setups available. I dont think my neighbor will want to spend money on a wb, so can I install one to get the tuning right and remove it or is it something that is perm.

He wants his truck to light up the tires from a dead stop when he hammers it and get better fuel economy.

Any input is appreciated if I am going the right way or not.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Big D; February 22nd, 2009 at 04:49 PM.

Any takers yet?

Hi BD,

Is your neighbour's truck stock...? What mods...? Has it been tuned already...?

For wideband look at what various people are using, some are more portable than others.

In the tune file:
    - high octane table is incorrect (does the motor ping...? Is it boosted...?).
    - the axle torque settings are messed with, too many changes...!
    - set B3609 to zeros.
    - B3616 requires too much throttle (poor throttle repsonse).
    - B3605 is too lean in the upper columns.
    - O2 switch points are wrong.

In the log file:
    - what altitude? MAP indicates above 6000 feet.
    - zero to 87 mph in 27 seconds (what was being hauled...?)...?!?
    - B1S1 (left/front) NBO2 is dead,
    - B2S1 (right/front) NBO2 indicates very poor activity and lean, may also be dying.
    - KR is present at WOT, spark tables may be wrong, or MAF is dirty.
    - MAF may be dirty (what air filter...?) or it may be reading low due to altitude.

I would go back to stock and start again, doing only minimal changes (and only 1 or 2 at a time).

Cheers
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Hi BD,

Is your neighbour's truck stock...? What mods...? Has it been tuned already...? stock 01 silverado 5.3 with cat back exhaust, never tuned. It runs real good even stock but there is always improvement.

For wideband look at what various people are using, some are more portable than others.

In the tune file:
    - high octane table is incorrect (does the motor ping...? Is it boosted...?).
    high octane table was left stock, no turbo or blower.
    - the axle torque settings are messed with, too many changes...! I thought maybe this would help reduce any torque limiting tables that may reference.
    - set B3609 to zeros.
    this makes sense now
    - B3616 requires too much throttle (poor throttle repsonse).
    - B3605 is too lean in the upper columns.
    this table was left stock, but I understand where you are going.
    - O2 switch points are wrong.
    I dont have much understanding how far I should move this away from 450mv. I assume using a WB I would have a better idea but not sure.
    In the log file:
    - what altitude? MAP indicates above 6000 feet.
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"]I live at 5,000 and log was done at 5,000 ft.[/COLOR]
    - zero to 87 mph in 27 seconds (what was being hauled...?)...?!?
    hahaha, ya she was pretty slow to reach 80. The on ramp to the freeway is about a 4% upgrade for almost a 1/4 mile.
    - B1S1 (left/front) NBO2 is dead,
    After looking at many logs from this I had this question in my mind if some thing is wrong due to the flat line.
    - B2S1 (right/front) NBO2 indicates very poor activity and lean, may also be dying.
    - KR is present at WOT, spark tables may be wrong, or MAF is dirty.
    - MAF may be dirty (what air filter...?) or it may be reading low due to altitude.
    after looking into how the maf line is jumpy, I think possibly the air filter is dirty. It has stock intake system.

I would go back to stock and start again, doing only minimal changes (and only 1 or 2 at a time).

Cheers
    Joe
    I have been doing a lot of reading on forums and doing comparisons of tunes and the light bulb is getting brighter. Just need some more ideas and direction, not freebies. I like to understand and know it rather than just put something in because someone else did.

Can you post up the stock Tune? There are a some things that don't look right...
    Timing tables(High & Low octane), PE Tables are not right, O2 switch points weird...
    2008 2WD Ext.Cab Silverado 1500 6.0 V-MAX E38(L76) & T42(4L70E) MAF Only CL Corvette Servo AFE CAI INNOVATIVE LM-2 WBO2

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

BD,

Oh, I didn't realize those were stock timing tables... I though I saw the HO table dip below the LO table... this doesn't provide reduction of timing when knock causes sliding toward LO table.

Set the O2 switch points table back to stock, this may fix your "broken" NBO2's... maybe.

The MAF being jumpy is ok as long as it hugs GM.DYNAIR...

if the MAF is slow to respond to throttle being snapped open, then MAF may be dirty... or if MAF pegs flat while RPM keeps increasing then it may also be dirty and/or filter is dirty.

Yes, the light bulb keeps getting brighter...

Cheers
    Joe

Try these Pids next time you log:

KR
    GM.EST_BASE_DMA
    GM.ASPARK
    2008 2WD Ext.Cab Silverado 1500 6.0 V-MAX E38(L76) & T42(4L70E) MAF Only CL Corvette Servo AFE CAI INNOVATIVE LM-2 WBO2

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

Default stock tune & log

Ok guys, thanks for the input so far the diesel world seems so much easier ! but I know in time this will come.

I posted up the stock tune and a log.
    The O2 numbers I think I just put something in there to "give it a try" and see what the result would be, obviously not good! I did check for DTC's and none were recorded. I did the O2 test and it came back ok because I thought the flat line for O2 1 was not making sense.

I find that the LTFT is always 0, could this be caused by a bad O2 sensor?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Big D; February 24th, 2009 at 05:12 PM.

Did the truck ping at all when you were data logging?

FLASHSCAN V2 & AUTOCAL

Quote Originally Posted by GAMEOVER View Post
    Try these Pids next time you log:

KR
    GM.EST_BASE_DMA
    GM.ASPARK
    Boy this helps a lot. I couldn't understand why the commanded spark wasnt lining up with B5913, B5914 B5919