Thread: Guys I Need Help!

Default Guys I Need Help!

Yesterday I attempted to flash an 02 operating system "12212156" into my 99 vehicle's PCM, but the flash didn't take. The efilive software stated I should try flashing again but to disable high speed communication. So I did. The next time I attempted to flash, was told I needed a new v2 scan license. OK, this is my daily driver and now I'm in panic mode. So I go ahead and purchase new license and reattempt flash. This time with high speed download off. Everything looks good till I start seeing messages about attempts to unblock download issues. Not good! By this time I've lost the calibration and vin. I tried to reprogram vin, but now the pcm has communication errors and bad checksums, and missing parameters.

I got online last night and was searching possible ideas to get out of problem. One thing I decided to do was disconnect battery and left it off for 20 min. Hooked it back up and attempted to flash pcm. Software listed pcm having missing calibration, but I could go ahead and flash unit. Went for it only to be told I need a new v2 Scan license. I cannot reprogam vin because of no communication with pcm.

So what should I do?? I'm facing the fact that I've fried the pcm. I've located a new PCM here in town. Do I reattempt to install 02 operating system in it? Or should I just keep old one? I don't really want to purchase 2 pcms.

I could really use some good advice.

If I do purchase pcm, should I buy a 2002 unit??

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

First off, EFILive will replace any licenses that you've burned trying to resolve the issue.

If the EFILive software says the calibration is missing but it can still be reflashed then it is highly likely that it can be recovered fully.

First, make sure you have the latest software, available here:
    http://www.efilive.com/index.php?opt...=48&Itemid=124
    After installing V7.5.5 and V8.1.2 run the start menu options:

Start->All Programs->EFILive->V7.5->Tools->Check for New Update
    Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->Tools->Check for New Update

That will bring your software completely up to date.

Second, make sure your vehicle's battery is fully charged as the reflash process requires a higher voltage than normal scanning/reading operations. Normal scanning and reading operations can operate correctly down to about 9 volts. Reflashing requires 12 V.

Third, if you get the "can't unlock" PCM message, please try checking the "Try Alt Keys" checkbox in the reflash window. That will try unlocking the PCM using a number of known default keys including the key that the PCM uses when it has been erased but not reprogrammed correctly.

Lastly, you may need to perform a full flash to restore the PCM's serial number. If the serial number has been erased but not reprogrammed correctly then the EFILive software may ask for the PCM to be re-licensed each time you try to reflash it.
    WARNING - do not performa a full flash until you ( and I) are sure that there is nothing physically wrong with the PCM. If a full flash fails at the wrong time (in the first 5-10 seconds) then the PCM really will be dead.

Please send (via email to paul@efilive.com) a screen shot of the Tuning Tool window: Help->FlashScan V2 VIN licensing or Help->FlashScan V1 PCM Licensing (depending on which FlashScan cable you are using).

Also, if the next attempt to reflash (the calibration only, not a full flash) fails, please locate the *.blx file associated with that attempt and include that in the email. See this page for instructions on how to find the *.blx file.
    http://www.efilive.com/index.php?opt...111&Itemid=121

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Thanks Paul for the reply. I'll work through your suggestions step by step.- Jim

Kind of sounds like my experience when I first tried to write the new operating system to my 2000 PCM. My issue turned out to be a low battery. Charged it up, did a full reflash, and on the first attempt all was well. Good luck.

Followup- I was able to resuscitate pcm with Paul's invaluable help. I now have 02 os in pcm. Thanks Paul and EFILive Support!