Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Relearn?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    I have not heard back from Chuck. I went to a source I trust, after all, he is a master tech. Now, if you are saying he is wrong, can you share the process for a clutch relearn and what vehicles does it apply to?

Check out the thread: http://corvettemechanic.com/forum/c6...t-year-c6.html
    Wouldn't say your master tech is necessarily wrong, especially with 07's and probably thru 08 to some point. If GM makes a running chnage in an MY the notifications dont necessarily get thru. Though I would defer to Chuck (try him by phone if he is on the road), on when CPP Learn was introduced, but it appears in late '08 cals, and '09 cals.

The DTC's are P0806, 07, 08, 0A. If your cal has these set to not reported, then no issue. (or is that why you posted as you have a DTC set?)

Also does your clutch pedal have a switch or a sensor?

Apologies I dont have a learn procedure at hand, try repairprocedures.com. Cant recall the procedure details Chuck outlined, as all our work is on A6's.

Thanks for the reply. Like I said, a lot of misinformation. Is the master tech 100% correct 100% of time, probably not. Just seems strange he makes no reference to manual trannys. If you google clutch relearn, not much come up.
    2015 Z06 A8

I tried repairprocedures.com and found no mention of clutch relearn, relearn or re-learn for CTS, Cobalt or Covette C6.
    2015 Z06 A8

Lifetime Member

Thanks for the reply. Like I said, a lot of misinformation. Is the master tech 100% correct 100% of time, probably not. Just seems strange he makes no reference to manual trannys. If you google clutch relearn, not much come up.
    When GM moves the target every time you blink, its hard to keep up. What's accurate one day, is inaccurate the next, depending on perspective of course.

Their documentation often isnt always accurate, but it is not difficult to sympathise with how hard it is to keep it all up to date with every change that is made.

Even TIS for example will read out an incorrect OS against a VIN. And it does take time for documentation to flow out - maybe that's why the RP site does not have it yet (09 info is a little sparse too). Sounds like the Cobalt is missing too, which was where your original question came from.

Its not like it is a common procedure yet. Probably 99.9% of all Vette's would not have been touched yet in this space.

Ross touched on the process. Cannot imagine it being that difficult if a relearn was required. My inquiry probably has as more to do with being curious than any real application.

Also trying to calibrate my BS meter!

I'll wait and see if Chuck chooses to respond.
    Last edited by Chalky; March 8th, 2009 at 12:14 PM.
    2015 Z06 A8

Just had a conversation with a GM Master Tech. There is no clutch relearn for the manual transmission. The clutch relearn applies to auto tranny only.

Bruce Melton confirmed same thing based on his experiences.

Thanks Bruce!
    They are probably referring to the clutch on-coming , off-going rates on the 6 speed Auto, they also have a learn process.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Ross touched on the process. Cannot imagine it being that difficult if a relearn was required. My inquiry probably has as more to do with being curious than any real application.

Also trying to calibrate my BS meter!

I'll wait and see if Chuck chooses to respond.
    Calibrated BS meter! That's a hard one.

I would guess that "BS Learn" takes most of a lifetime.

In my experience though, it seems to be that the challenge is seperating confident opinion & honest errors from fact, and balancing against the context setting.

I certainly have been guilty of mixing up clutch and brake learn, but I will put that down to some intermittent dyslexia.....

It may be that Clutch Learn is Z06 only, or only a certain part of '08 (like 3 mths pre '09 release), or maybe even CA only cars, or export only. Who knows. But it is certainly listed as being active in '08 LS3 and LS7 M6 cals, but that doesn't mean it is active, or it may simply be learning the two switches for some reason. If you take a look at '07 cals, the Learn DTC's are off, and the Switch DTC's are on.

Default 08 and later.

Hey guys...08 and later vettes have the CPPL feature...likely, any stick car using the new 6060 junk 6 speed trans.

base and ZO6 models have it.

call me any time to discuss.

Chuck CoW
    CoW BOOSTER! Electronic Throttle Enhancement.

- CLICK HERE NOW FOR MORE INFORMATION! -

VARARAM, EDELBROCK, AMERICAN RACING HEADERS, BAER BRAKES, BORLA, EFI Live, Magnuson,
    COMP Cams, PROCHARGER, PRO TORQUE, PHADT Racing, INNOVATORS WEST, and more.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck CoW View Post
    Hey guys...08 and later vettes have the CPPL feature...likely, any stick car using the new 6060 junk 6 speed trans.

base and ZO6 models have it.

call me any time to discuss.

Chuck CoW
    Can see the "love" you have for that new trans!

Quote Originally Posted by gmh308 View Post
    Can see the "love" you have for that new trans!
    I don't know about the mechanicals of the trans, but given the way ALL 6 speed's seem to drive I don't think GM actually know how to calibrate them either, remember who made that controller!!
    Keep in mind how well the Allison works, same concept, different TCM.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast