Thread: new to site

Default new to site

Hello, i have been poking around here for a while soaking up as much info as i can, great site. I dont have the efi live software yet, but this is what i will definetly be getting, from what i have seen and what i want to do with it, it looks excellent. I have to wait till the play money stash gets a lil bigger. I need a laptop and all. I have come to the realization that i should have gotten this a long time ago, over the past 3 years or so i have spent around $3000.00 on having other people tune my car, from stock with longtubes, to nitrous, to the 402 i have now. Well if i want to change something now i can do it myself. I am also a shop owner and figure i can maybe eek out a little gas mileage out of some 6.0l chevy trucks with this as well. I downloaded the trial and it looks great, the only playing around with tuning i have done is 1) factory flashes with the tech 2 and a buddy that has an older FAST system. I am well versed with cars, but not with computers so i am sure i will have lots of questions about what i am doing, and i love the fact that once i figure out how, i can upload my tune and some logs for you guys to look over and see what i am doing wrong/right or otherwise. I look forward to the helpful advise i will get here and the constant learning that brought me into the auto industry. Should be fun now that my cars destiny is in my, and maybe your hands. Sorry for the long read. Len

Good on ya Len!
    You're deffinately in good hands with the EFILive guys and the guys on this forum.
    Howard

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T
    MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE
    DUCT TAPE.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

98 K1500 'HOLDEN' Suburban.
    Custom Whipple SC, Mercruiser Marine intake, 0411 PCM, 4L80E w/shift kit

Lifetime Member

Welcome to the party
    00 GMC,LQ4, Jarrett Faggart pistons, callies rods, Ebay studs, LS9 gaskets, 317's, KBRacing KIT, PT76/75, treadstone intercooler,Eboost2, dual walbro, FIC 75lb, br7ef, Trutrac, Shaftmasters Shaft, 3.5" DP w/4" magnaflow dumped, turbo blanket, Circle D 3200, Jake's built 4l80w/brake, hydroboost, EFILive v2,Lunati dual springs,222/226 cam, cal-tracs, QA1 front shocks, Street/strip Bogarts,Drum swap, Alky-control,MSD8733 936 HP to the tire DD.

Len, welcome...

Yes, EFILive is a tool that can't be done without...

Not only do you save a bundle of money, but you also learn a great deal...

More info: forumdisplay.php?f=17

yes, i am sure that i will learn a ton. I do have a couple quick questions, first my trans am is a 98 and i have learned that the pcm for the 97 and 98 ls1s are less than desireable. if i decide to upgrade to a 99 or newer operating system with efi live can i copy the tune i have now and flash that into the newer pcm?? The car runs good now, it should for all the $$ it took. and i think that tune would be a good one to start from. Just wondering if i had to start over from scratch or not. My other question is about the credits. I am also looking to tune some customers vehicles(have had a fair amount of interest in it) I am not so computer savvy so bear with me. I know that i can tune as many 97 or 98 f-bodys and vettes as i want, but do i have to buy credits for every different car or truck that comes in for a tune. Or if say if i have the license for a 03 2500hd with a 4l80 and a 6.0l can i tune all 03 trucks with the same operating system?? I have read on the home page and didnt fully understand what it ment. Sorry like i said i am good with cars and only know enough to be dangerous with computers.

There is not much need to upgraded to a newer PCM unless
    you are going to use a COS.
    If you do you will use a license.
    We don't use the "credits system" here,
    Once you use a license you can upload
    any OS that you want (that will work for the PCM)
    or use a WBO2. (serial w/V2).
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

1 license = 1 PCM or 1 ECM+TCM.

As Mr.Prick (that's his real name) said, not related to VIN or OS.

sounds good, 1 license per pcm, tcm unit. got it.

Lifetime Member

Just keep the 98 for now and learn to tune first.The 98 pcm does not cost you a license but the newer pcms will. Learn for free! Just my .02. That is what I am doing.
    00 GMC,LQ4, Jarrett Faggart pistons, callies rods, Ebay studs, LS9 gaskets, 317's, KBRacing KIT, PT76/75, treadstone intercooler,Eboost2, dual walbro, FIC 75lb, br7ef, Trutrac, Shaftmasters Shaft, 3.5" DP w/4" magnaflow dumped, turbo blanket, Circle D 3200, Jake's built 4l80w/brake, hydroboost, EFILive v2,Lunati dual springs,222/226 cam, cal-tracs, QA1 front shocks, Street/strip Bogarts,Drum swap, Alky-control,MSD8733 936 HP to the tire DD.