Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFI Scripts?

Default EFI Scripts?

Can someone explain to me what scripts are and what they are for?
    01 GMC 2500 HD Duramax
    Silverline 4" Turbo Back Exhaust.PPE Boost Increase Valve.EFI Live.AEM Intake

Used to automate tuning. It simply applies whatever changes you have in the script in to a tune file. Beats cut/paste from another tune file.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Just a copy and paste from my support forum..

It's not usually a good idea to change operating sytems, and is often impossible (LBZ,LMM,'06LLY).

Here's some helpful information that should lessen the confusion.

What is an operating system? An operating system is the infrastructure of the tune, the skeleton that defines the code that processes the calibration and sensor inputs into something the truck can run (or operate) off of. The operating system is the most basic aspect of the tune file. The operating system cannot be 'seen' by the user. Note: Changing operating sytems may result in wierd codes (loss of communication), odd running behavior (ac, 4X4 not working, cruise, ect.), or no-start conditions. Avoid if possible.

What is a calibration? The calibration is the part of the tune that is displayed on EFILive's user interface. Notice that the size of the tune you load into the truck is significantly smaller in size than the one you read off the truck. That size difference is the operating system, and bunch of lame tables that Ross and Paul have kept behind the scenes to minimize the clutter and speed up reflashes. Essentially the calibration is the 'editable' part of the tune. The only part we see. The calibratoin is the part of the tune that defines how the truck runs as far as this basic tutorial is concerned.

What is a script? A script is a simple text file that defines a change summary. It's built by comparing one calibration (stock) to another (modified). The trick is that this comparison must be made between like operating systems. This simple file holds all of the information on how 'X-O.S./A-.cal' can be converted to 'X-O.S./B-.cal', or why the modified tune runs differently than the stock tune.

I want to use my friends tune! What you mean is that you want to apply your friends calibration to your operating sytem. Luckily this is a simple process. All you need to do is create a script of your friends tune and apply that change summary (run script) over your stock tune. Of course this only works for birds of a feather. Both trucks must share engine codes (LBZ/LBZ, earlyLLY/earlyLLY, LB7/LB7, LMM/LMM, and also '06LLY/LBZ).

Here are some links to using scripts. -> 1...(full rundown) 2...(running scripts) 3...(8594LMM specific)

Things to look out for. Because you're dealing with two different operating systems, you may be dealing with a script that contains a summary of a table that doesn't exist in your tune. If this happens, one of two things could happen.

1. While running the script you get an error that says 'table xxxx not found' and then the script stops. To solve this, open the script file and delete the description row that contains all of the information about the table that caused the error. Then resave the script file and rerun it over your stock file. Rinse and repeat if necessary

2. While running the script you get an error that says 'table xxxx not found' and the script continues to run. If this happens the the changes to that table will not be applied to your tune from the original modified tune.

In the case of either of 1 or 2:

You'll need to do a manual comparison of the tunes to determine the utility of the table that didn't copy over, and if there is a similar table in your tune (possibly under a different name). With your newly scripted tune and the original modified tune open get clever and find that table! Smile. Copy it from the modified tune by hand and paste it into your recently scripted tune, adjust to fit if necessary. The axis' may not match up, or said table may not even be that important, it comes down the user to make the call.

I hope this information is helpful for new users, it's long - but comprehensive. If you get stuck on issues related to this thread, please post here so we can update things and make the process as smooth as possible.

Thanks,

Nick Priegnitz

Nick, thanks......added to collection of links to scattered tutorials.

ok im still kind of lost. let me tell you exactly what im tryin to do to see if this helps. i have the dsp2 switch with two tunes. i downloaded a tune off the internet that has different os#'s. i cant load for comparison my dsp2 and the tune i downloaded to see the differences because of the different os#'s. is this when i would use a script? i cant find out how to see the differences to know what to change in my dsp2 tune
    01 GMC 2500 HD Duramax

No, my understanding is the tunes you want to compare must be the same OS and have the same/compatible engine codes.

The only way to see differences is if both tunes are the same/compatible os/engine codes...

if you can view differences then you can generate a script...

if they are different then they cannot be compared (my simplistic understanding is the data field offsets/locations and formats/layouts are different relative to each file).

ok. someone gave me an idea and i figured out how to make it work...

i downloaded a stock tune that had the same OS# as the race tune i wanted to put in my truck. then i was able to load for comparison to see the differences. and then i just copied and pasted. thanks guys for all the help and advice
    01 GMC 2500 HD Duramax

You got it... the key is the same OS #.

Default Post #3

A great summary of what scripts are and how they work.
    I recently started making my own scripts, and if you try to just make them
    on your own with notepad they can be frustrating to format and run.
    It is much easier for the first time user to let the software make it for you.

This thread is a perfect walk through for that.
    Ok Guys, Scripts aren't THAT scary....

And the Script_tutorial.pdf should be saved in
    C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Doc\Tutorials for future reference.

Post #3 is all you need to know about scripts, thank you vortecfcar.
    Last edited by mr.prick; January 30th, 2010 at 10:45 AM.
    512k RoadRunner Firmware 12.14R
    FlashScan V2 Bootblock V2.07.04 Firmware V2.07.22 EFILive V7.5.7 (Build 191) V8.2.1 (Build 181)
    LC-1 WBO2

Ok, added link into scattered tutorial links thread, thanks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast