Thread: Hello Newbie

Default Hello Newbie

Hi guys have recently had my car Modified, after seeing a tuner in action was drawn to research the process! Am amazed at what can be done given the right tools? Also finding out how complicated it is, at lest from an outsiders point of view.
    I'm seriously considering taking this up for my own car tuning?
    HSV GTO 2005 LS2 6.0
    E40
    Manual 6pd
    Blown, Exhaust mods, cam etc
    500RWHP
    Do you guys recommend toying with this car, or am i jumping in way over my head?
    Obviously would like to be pointed in the right direction, tutorials & where to start?

You've come to the right place.

Search for AutoVE tuning on this forum. Basically we use calculated information to change the VE table and verify proper Air Fuel Ratio with the wideband O2 sensor. Power delivery is up to your dyno or seat of the pants. Every vehicle is different. Some want 12.5:1. Some want 11.2:1. Some want 13:1 (not yours! too lean!). A 500rwhp blown V8 will not want 13:1 air fuel at Wide Open Throttle (WOT). It will detonate and die a quick death.

In the end you will want EFI Live but also the following items:

1 EFI Live V2 Flashscan hardware with V7.55 software or the newest V8 (I bought Commercial Scan and Tune. I recommend it)
    1 Wideband O2 sensor and controller. I recommend the LC-1 or equivalent.
    1 Laptop computer (hopefully you already own this). Must be Windows based.

Read a copy of the tune that is already in there (unless the PCM is locked) and compare it to a stock tune for your vehicle that is not 500rwhp. That will give you plenty of good starting information.

Keep asking questions. We'll be here to help you!

Eric

001FAZ,

Welcome to the forum...

If you haven't already, goto the Downloads page at www.efilive.com and download/install the V7.5 software (the actual software) to play with it (includes some actual log/tune files which you can view/edit).

The things to do to get on the tuning path:

1. read your tune file using FlashScan V2 (hardware required) as Eric said, view this and and find out what the tables mean/do;

2. log data every chance you get, change pids and log again, view the logs and find out what the various pids mean/do... you can't do this often enough;

3. read some tuning books, for example:
    Ben Strader,
    Jeff Hartman,
    Greg Banish.

4. if you don't know much about the ICE (internal combustion engine), you will need to read some more books, get as technical a book as you can read... if you're an engineer then go all the way and get an ICE textbook... you will need to understand about AFR, timing, detonation, volumetric fill... and ask questions (especially when in doubt).

5. you will need to learn how to diagnose/recognize problems, and how to use OBD-II to help you (lol, trust me... )... there are various websites/books that can help with this also (EFILive includes a very capable scantool).

6. you will also have to maintain your car, and as you do you have to inspect various subsystems and components... as a DIY tuner you will be responsible for making sure the car is running correctly... it is fruitless to tune a car that is unmaintained and/or broken.

There is a steep learning curve, but it can be mastered (there always are new things to learn, even new "old" things which have been beaten to death can sometimes turn up in a new twist... )

Also note that you will give up everything and this will be your new hobby for the rest of your life... ... everyone else here doesn't mind this......this is all you will think about (other than your daytime job which will pay for car parts, oil, petrol...)... yeah your Mrs/GF will try to disuade you, but don't listen...!!!

Cheers
    Joe

Thanks for the advice guys, step 1 reading!
    I have no experience in the automotive field, but do have a little computer knowledge along with a DELL XPS M1730.
    Once again thank you & will keep you posted