Thread: A4 to M6 segment swap help

Default A4 to M6 segment swap help

Hey everyone, so I'm in the process of swapping out my A4(4l60e) for an M6(t56) next week, the swap itself shouldn't be that bad but I have a question about swapping segments, if I take my current tune, and do a full trans segment swap, are there any other tables in the engine calibrations section that need attention as well, (i noticed from a M6 tune that the park/neutral values for several tables like desired airflow are zero's out, is that needed to be done to have it function correctly?) (I know the speedometer section will need some attention too due to the different speedo reluctor gear and all.)

basically looking for any info which could help the swap and tune go smoothly.

Thanks folks!
    1996 c1500 gen1e 5.7L - the "LS31", 24x CNP, LS2 coils, modified T56, 12200411PCM running COS3, zz4 cam, custom MPFI, etc. coming soon: Twin Turbos

Nobody? ah well, I know this isn't the most common swap going on. I'll try to copy everything I can find that may be pertinant from the M6 tune. if anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated. the trans should go in today.
    1996 c1500 gen1e 5.7L - the "LS31", 24x CNP, LS2 coils, modified T56, 12200411PCM running COS3, zz4 cam, custom MPFI, etc. coming soon: Twin Turbos

It won't be an issue if you leave all the auto tables in the engine side of things, just be aware the PCM will use the 'in gear' tables on a manual.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    It won't be an issue if you leave all the auto tables in the engine side of things, just be aware the PCM will use the 'in gear' tables on a manual.

Cheers,
    Ross
    Thanks Ross, I was wondering that, so I'm guessing that it just defaults to in gear due to the lack of a park/neutral input at the PCM? what about the odd tables like the DFCO M6 or ones with specific tables regarding a manual trans, I'm guessing that I would use those settings since it is an M6, will the PCM use these tables since the trans segment is setup for an M6?

What about cruise control in 6th gear? I have heard that this can be problematic in T-56 swaps.

peace
    Hog
    1997 rcsb stock L31 longblock, Marine Intake with 28# EV6 injectors, L35 2700 stall TC,Hooker LT's 2.007 60ft

Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    What about cruise control in 6th gear? I have heard that this can be problematic in T-56 swaps.

peace
    Hog
    I think the cruize is only a problem in the NBS ETC trucks? I haven't heard of any issues on the older cable driven setups.I guess we'll see I should hopefully have it drivable tommorow.

Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post

peace
    Hog
    well its in and no problems with cruise control. its fairly noisy, though with new synchros/carbon blocker rings, new bronze fork pads, all new internal berings/bushings, new kevlar clutch, etc, I figure that a little noise would be expected until its broken in. everywhere I read they say it can take up to 500 miles for it all to get settled and broken in. drives great, all gears engage well, with 29" tires, running 3.73's I'm pulling about 1600-1700 RPM at 70-75 on the freeway, and it still pulls the hills without issues. I've got a whipple that'll be put on some day too, so that should help out with down low power a little bit as well.

I also swapped the trans segments, and speedometer info from a 02 Camaro with the T56 and the speedo seems to be reading correctly, I also changed some of the tables I thought would be pertinant like the DFCO M6 stuff. seems to be running well, hopefully it quiets down a little once broken in, but it drives great, so if I need to deal with a little noise, so be it.

Lifetime Member

Congrats on the successful swap! Sounds like a fun ride now, even more so when you get that Whipple on there.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Cool......do you have a sound clip of it (if you can hear the trans noise)...?

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Cool......do you have a sound clip of it (if you can hear the trans noise)...?
    Thanks folks, its fun to drive, I still have some cosmetic stuff to do like remove the atuo column shifter, and do some of the wiring (reverse lights, and lockout), but that will have to wait until I have some time. I think I screwed up my LC-1 controller durring the install though, it got hit on accident and now it just reads 18+ AFr all the time, occastionally swinging way down to 8 AFR. d'oh! oh well I'll have to get another when I can.

I don't have a clip of the noise. its a slight whine in gear (2nd and 3rd being the loudest, 4th and 6th the quietest, but its present in all gears), and a sort of light rattle/chatter type noise when in neutral only with the clutch engaged (i.e. pedal is NOT depressed, and the rattle goes away when pedal is depressed) the clutch is a kevlar SPEC stage 2, and according to spec, their kevlar clutch will chatter until broken it which according to them can be ~500 miles. I've also heard several people mention (sixspeedsinc before they went out of business, etc) that the whining in gear is due to the new brass pads on the aluminum synchros, and it too should subside in ~500 miles as well. It could aslo be partially due to the fluid too? but I'm not sure, I used 4 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF dex III/IV.