Thread: Switching ECMs, will I need second License?

Default Switching ECMs, will I need second License?

Ok, If I buy a second ECM programmed with my VIN number (and all the same data as my stock ECM) for my truck, will I still be able to use the current License on my V2 or will it require to get another license.

(also I know the V2 comes wih 2 licenses, but I used the second on another truck.)

Thanks.
    12 Second LMM

Lifetime Member

Yes you will need another license, the VIN license actually refers to internal PCM/ECM/TCM serial codes that EFILive locks a license to. So once you license it, you can swap it to unlimited cars or flash whatever VIN you want to it.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    Yes you will need another license, the VIN license actually refers to internal PCM/ECM/TCM serial codes that EFILive locks a license to. So once you license it, you can swap it to unlimited cars or flash whatever VIN you want to it.
    thought so. Thanks.

and you meant can't not can, correct?
    12 Second LMM

Remember your unit comes with 2 open licenses, so if you have only programmed your truck then you won't have to buy another.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

A license attaches to one PCM/ECM and one TCM... regardless of VIN.

Why are you getting another ECM, is it a spare...?

Thanks Ross, I knew that. Also you get my email about the EGR on LMM?

I am getting another ECM that I will tune Different. So I can swap it out without re flashing my Race ECM. I can pull my ECM and replace it in less than 5 minutes and dont wanna always carry the laptop and re flash.....For right now atleast......

My other license is used up on my buddies truck, because his tuner died on him at the track, so I just converted him over to something a little better....
    12 Second LMM

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by MMLMM View Post
    thought so. Thanks.

and you meant can't not can, correct?
    No I mean CAN, if you take your ECM and throw it into another LMM and reprogram that trucks VIN you wont have to burn a license. The license it locked to that ECM, nothing else and nothing more.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    No I mean CAN, if you take your ECM and throw it into another LMM and reprogram that trucks VIN you wont have to burn a license. The license it locked to that ECM, nothing else and nothing more.
    ah, I got you, I was thinking you were saying I'd program my NEW ecm with my vin, then flash a tune into it with another vin and never use a license.

I got it now guys, Thanks.
    12 Second LMM